Options

Security+ Preparation tools

pipi Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
I read multiple threads on what books to read to prepare for the Security+ exam and wonder if anybody could give additional advice. It seems like most recommend the Syngress Security+ Study Guide eBook for only $9 here and maybe the Sybex book. Is the CD on the Deluxe version any good? I see that it also has flash cards for Pocket PC's, which I would probably use. I was also considering the uCertify PrepKit for $30 (on sale). Has anybody tried it or heard about it? I have the demo and it looks pretty good, but if it would be similar to the Sybex CD, I'd like to save what money I can. I did buy the ExamCram2 study guide/practice questions. Finally, is the "MegaGuide" any good? Again, I'd like to save money, but if it is useful I may buy it.

The ports won't be much of a problem, I can memorize numbers (that's how I got my username) and made some flashcards to study later.

PS: I've read many (I plan to read the rest later) of the TechNotes here and they are very helpful, thanks! :) [/url]

Comments

• Options
    janmikejanmike Member Posts: 3,076
    As you have discovered, the Syngress book is recommended most. But, you don't want to limit yourself to one or two resources. This exam is covers a lot of stuff. You won't likely find one resource that covers 100% of all of it.

I took the exam--didn't pass, but didn't do real badly. I don't recall that there were any questions that I did not understand, but choosing the correct answer takes judgement based on knowledge and experience. Don't skimp on resources if you don't have a fair amount of experience.

I use CBT Nuggets and liked them, but they're pretty pricey. Also used parts of Syngress, Techexams.net TechNotes, Preplogic practice exams. And, I think these are all good, but I just tried to pass too soon.

I recommend that you find lots of scenarios to study from lots of different sources.

Hope this helps. Good luck!
    "It doesn't matter, it's in the past!"--Rafiki
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Any of the resourses you mentioned are going to be good. If money is the main concern, then go for the Syngress, Tech Notes and Sybex with the CD. That should get you by real well. Anything extra is bonus, but I wouldn't buy any more reading material, I'd buy some audio or CBT based stuff to round it out if you have the $$$.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice.

As you mentioned, I have no experience really. I'm still in high school, but I'm studying related material for a national club I'm in and will maybe take the Security+ exam so I won't have to down the road, and it will look good on resumes if I already am Security+ certified. My experience consists of building a few PCs and doing a lot on online tech support forums (including malware removal training). I did study hard for the A+ exam over the summer, but when school started I didn't have any time to take it.
  • Options
    goforthbmerrygoforthbmerry Member Posts: 244
    Pi,
    I like the Syngress book, I like the Sybex book. ILOVE the technotes. There are few other places that you will see the important information really boiled down to what is important on the test and still cover the theory behind the information. I also have the MegaPak from Preplogic. It isn't bad but it is the resource I use least. I like the audio program. It is easy to use while I drive or go to the gym.
    Sounds like you are getting an early start. That is good but don't expect too much from the job market until you have some experience but getting the certs while still in high school is commendable. Are there other certs you will try for as well? I would think that A+ an Net+ would be obvious choices. Maybe a MCP or 2.
    Good Luck
    Going for MCSE:security, Intermediate ITIL, PMP
  • Options
    I already studied for the A+ exam, so I may study again this summer and try that certification as well. Network+ would be a little more difficult since my experience with networking is limited. Good points about the audio part, I'll definitely consider that.

So far, my (adjusted) plan is - Syngress Security+ Study Guide eBook, Sybex book+CD, and Preplogic Security+ audio lecture CDs. Lucky for me, PrepLogic has a year-end sale. PrepLogic also has some free audio and video lectures that I'll probably watch as well. uCertify is also something I am considering. I have the demo and it looks good.

Thanks again. :)