CISSP CBK updated book

hxhxhxhx Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
I've been reading the CISSP CBK sample copy on my spare time because that's my idea of a good time. I should be around halfway through it in April. The exam is being updated at that time. I want to buy the book, but I don't want to spend $62 for the iTunes version if it's going to be irrelevant in a few months. Is there anyway around paying for this book twice other than not paying for it at all? I'm assuming the iTunes version doesn't come with a free update to version 5 of the CBK. Is there a legal PDF version that comes with the hardcover? Do I have any options here? Does anyone know when the new CBK typically comes out?

Comments

• TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Sample copy? Anyways I doubt the changes will be huge between versions...when I was prepping, I used the 10 domain version material for the current exam (pre CAT) and it wasn’t an issue.

I would say it depends on when you want to start preparing and plan on taking the exam. If you aren’t going to test at least by the summer, I would wait for the new book...otherwise you can do very minimal gap studying once you see the changes before you test.

As a side note, an extra $60,80,100 for a certification that is a game changer, doesn’t seem too crazy.
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Please, don't let FUD take over. The CISSP CBK is what it is, super static, and it just wont magically change. Thye may add some cloud stuff or whatever, change to adaptive, etc but the essence fo the test will remain intact for the most part.
  • hxhxhxhx Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
    TechGuru80 wrote: »
    Sample copy? Anyways I doubt the changes will be huge between versions...when I was prepping, I used the 10 domain version material for the current exam (pre CAT) and it wasn’t an issue.

I would say it depends on when you want to start preparing and plan on taking the exam. If you aren’t going to test at least by the summer, I would wait for the new book...otherwise you can do very minimal gap studying once you see the changes before you test.

As a side note, an extra $60,80,100 for a certification that is a game changer, doesn’t seem too crazy.

iBooks lets you download a "sample" of almost any book. I downloaded it. It contains all of the introductory stuff (Table of contents, acknowledgements, etc) and most of the first chapter.

I want to really start preparing around May 1 (to test in the fall). I've been reading the CBK and I like it, but I don't want to pay for what will be an expensive paper weight in 4 months. On the other hand, you and cyberguypr have a point. It will still be a good reference and the knowledge gained is still valuable.

If you look at it as simply a matter of money, the $60 isn't much. Thanks!
  • hxhxhxhx Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□