Finally getting a few hits on my resume

BigToneBigTone Member Posts: 283
One job from a recruiter has them requiring knowledge of lotus notes, treo support, and ghost multicasting...

The job functions look awesome, but it sounds like they really want knowledge of those three items. I've gone through ghost tutorials, and I think Lotus notes is pretty self explanatory(correct me if I'm wrong) only thing is the treo...

The next position I got e-mailed about and I got a call back today, that I haven't answered yet... is this one:

We are currently looking to fill a Support Technician position. The Support Technicians are responsible for assisting customers experiencing questions or problems with software, hardware and/or peripheral products purchased from Applied Systems, Inc.

In everyone's humble opinion does this just sound like a crappy phone support job? If I leave my job for another I really want it to be in IT and actually have a support role, or tech role...

Comments

• SmallguySmallguy Member Posts: 597
    it sounds liek it could be but it mayu not

I'd call and ask but there is nothing wrong with doing a call center job to gain experience

or applying at bestbuy fixing computers

you need experience ot get anywhere so unless you get lucky you mgiht not get what yuor looknig for

I know very few people woh were able ot pick their first IT job
  • sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The first job sounds better IMHO. Ghost itself isn't that difficult, but building a good image is not as easy as some folks might think. With the ghost casting sometimes you have to build your own network boot disks and it can be a pain to find working packet or NDIS drivers for DOS. Ghost is way behind on the support it has for current network drivers. It seems that only the Intel and 3COM work well. I deal with Dells which have moved to Broadcom nics and it took me forever to get those working with Ghost.

I can't offer an opinion on Lotus or Treo.

I think the second job is at least worth going through the application process. If, during the process you find out it's not for you, be honest and decline gracefully. It may turn out to be a decent opportunity.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • BigToneBigTone Member Posts: 283
    I just spoke with the woman today from job #2... it was mainly customer service based software support...but she mentioned this job:

Network Operations Center (NOC) Technician
    Education Requirements: Graduation from Technical school preferred (not required)

Qualification Requirements:

No previous work experience required
    MCP / A+ / N+ training preferred
    Exposure Microsoft operating system support (9X, 2K, XP, 2003)
    Exposure to Microsoft Office applications (2K, XP, 2003)
    Basic network troubleshooting.
    Basic TCP / IP configuration and networking.
    Basic PC Hardware / Software troubleshooting.
    Install, configure and deploy server Operating Systems and applications.
    Project oriented
    Good interpersonal communication skills
    Detail oriented
    Self-reliant/Self-starter
    Strong work ethic
    Friendly, easy-going personality
    Ability to lift 40 lbs. and climb ladders
    Must be able to work shifts, on call, and extended hours as needed
    Job Summary : Network Operations Center Technicians are assigned to the Applied IT Operations group and are responsible for monitoring the operational state of systems for the company. This is an entry level position with a progression of responsibilities assisting PC Support Technicians in the maintenance and repair of various office applications, printers, fax machines, workstations, laptops and all peripherals. Basic computer knowledge and troubleshooting skills is required. With experience, you will be expected to research problems, research various solutions, and devise a work plan to solve those problems with minimal supervision.

She wasn't 100% sure on the salary and the only thing that might be crappy is the shifts/on call/ext hours thing... But I'm going for a pre-employment screening and hopefully know more next week.
  • Orion82698Orion82698 Member Posts: 483
    BigTone wrote:
    I just spoke with the woman today from job #2... it was mainly customer service based software support...but she mentioned this job:

Network Operations Center (NOC) Technician
    Education Requirements: Graduation from Technical school preferred (not required)

Qualification Requirements:

No previous work experience required
    MCP / A+ / N+ training preferred
    Exposure Microsoft operating system support (9X, 2K, XP, 2003)
    Exposure to Microsoft Office applications (2K, XP, 2003)
    Basic network troubleshooting.
    Basic TCP / IP configuration and networking.
    Basic PC Hardware / Software troubleshooting.
    Install, configure and deploy server Operating Systems and applications.
    Project oriented
    Good interpersonal communication skills
    Detail oriented
    Self-reliant/Self-starter
    Strong work ethic
    Friendly, easy-going personality
    Ability to lift 40 lbs. and climb ladders
    Must be able to work shifts, on call, and extended hours as needed
    Job Summary : Network Operations Center Technicians are assigned to the Applied IT Operations group and are responsible for monitoring the operational state of systems for the company. This is an entry level position with a progression of responsibilities assisting PC Support Technicians in the maintenance and repair of various office applications, printers, fax machines, workstations, laptops and all peripherals. Basic computer knowledge and troubleshooting skills is required. With experience, you will be expected to research problems, research various solutions, and devise a work plan to solve those problems with minimal supervision.

She wasn't 100% sure on the salary and the only thing that might be crappy is the shifts/on call/ext hours thing... But I'm going for a pre-employment screening and hopefully know more next week.

That job sounds awesome. I got lucky with my first job at a local computer store fixing PC/laptops/printers, building pc's and doing business networking. I too only had my A+. Just keep your head up. You'll be surprised how many jobs open up. Just becareful now to get into short contract jobs, unless that's what you want.
    WIP Vacation ;-)

Porsche..... there is no substitute!
    Only "Bad" thing is it sounds like it pays high 20's.... I said I might be willing to take that if I could get 29...

because I wouldn't be paying to go to chicago and the commute would be shorter so it might work out in the end...
  • TrailerisfTrailerisf Member Posts: 455
    BigTone wrote:

She wasn't 100% sure on the salary and the only thing that might be crappy is the shifts/on call/ext hours thing...
    Welcome to the wonderful world of IT.
    On the road to Cisco. Will I hunt it, or will it hunt me?
    at this point I don't even care though... I'm really sick of the crappy admin job I have, and If this is going to give me awesome experience, I'll gut it out for a year or so until I can have some experience under my belt and then more certifications, and move on.