CCENT, cable question

boxerboy1168boxerboy1168 Member Posts: 395 ■■■□□□□□□□
Officially what is the test going to want me to know about crossover, rollover and straight through cables?

On a switch to switch cable am I going to need to use a crossover cable or has the test been update with the new MDX modules that auto detect cable standards?
Currently enrolling into WGU's IT - Security Program. Working on LPIC (1,2,3) and CCNA (and S) as long term goals and preparing for the Security+ and A+ as short term goals.

Comments

• networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    No one can tell you what is going to be on the test. Learn the objectives and you'll be good to go!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • boxerboy1168boxerboy1168 Member Posts: 395 ■■■□□□□□□□
    meh, fine lol
    Currently enrolling into WGU's IT - Security Program. Working on LPIC (1,2,3) and CCNA (and S) as long term goals and preparing for the Security+ and A+ as short term goals.
  • dontstopdontstop Member Posts: 579 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The assume is that MDIX will not exist on every device so don't rely on it.

How I remember it:

PC Type devices:
    Routers
    Computers
    Access Points

Networking Devices:
    Switch
    Hub

* Straight Through between devices in different groups
    * Crossover between devices in same group

Even easier to remember is that Switch/Hub are the same and everything else is different.
  • boxerboy1168boxerboy1168 Member Posts: 395 ■■■□□□□□□□
    so everything else has to use a cross over cable to connect unless it's to a switch then you use a straight through, well that's an easy way to remember it.. I should know this from the Net+ but it's a good review

thanks appreciate it