35 hrs PDUs?

XpressXpress Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi Guys,

I'm an engineer applying for PMP. Way back while going to university I took 2 Project Management Class worth 3 credit each (1 Semester) at the University of Alberta in Canada. I copy the course description below. Do you think these will satisfy the requirement for 35 hrs PDU needed before I can submit my application for review? Did any of you use such similar courses for you application? Thanks,

ENG M 310 - Engineering Economy
★ 3 (fi icon_cool.gif (either term or Spring/Summer, 3-0-0) The application of the fundamentals of economics to engineering alternatives in planning, developing and managing industrial projects. Note: Credit cannot be obtained for more than one of ENGG 310, 401, ENG M 310 or 401.

ENG M 402 - Project Management and Entrepreneurship
★ 3 (fi icon_cool.gif (either term, 3-0-0) Introduction to the conceptual and practical considerations in identifying and developing new products. The theory and practice of project management applied to the creation of new business activities and ventures will be discussed. Topics include project management, innovation and entrepreneurship, business planning, marketing, and mobilizing human and financial resources. These will be applied in the development of a business plan for a business concept. The course is intended to provide engineering and business students with an awareness of specific planning, budgeting and scheduling techniques that can be used to implement and monitor new business activities. This course is open to Business and Science students with consent of Instructor. Note: Credit cannot be obtained for both ENGG 402 and ENG M 402.

Comments

• SweenMachineSweenMachine Member Posts: 300 ■■■■□□□□□□
    PDU's need to be accredited by the PMI GAC process, or it needs to come from one of their R.E.P's - Quickly looking at the PMI website, this university is not listed under their GAC and therefor, no credit will be given from my understanding.

-scott
  • dizzy_kittydizzy_kitty Member Posts: 95 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I think you're confusing the terminology. What I believe you're asking about is:

Requirements:
    "A four-year degree (bachelor's or the global equivalent) and at least three years of project management experience. Of those three years of project management experience, 4,500 hours should have been spent leading and directing projects. 35 hours of project management education are also required."

If its been a while I don't think you'll be able to use that course to meet the 35 hours. A good friend of mine applied and was approved by taking a PM course through a site like udemy. As long as you have a certificate of completion to prove you took the course and met the hours I am fairly certain it will count.
  • SweenMachineSweenMachine Member Posts: 300 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I think you're confusing the terminology. What I believe you're asking about is:

Requirements:
    "A four-year degree (bachelor's or the global equivalent) and at least three years of project management experience. Of those three years of project management experience, 4,500 hours should have been spent leading and directing projects. 35 hours of project management education are also required."

If its been a while I don't think you'll be able to use that course to meet the 35 hours. A good friend of mine applied and was approved by taking a PM course through a site like udemy. As long as you have a certificate of completion to prove you took the course and met the hours I am fairly certain it will count.

Right. Those courses are not accredited in the GAC program... There ARE universities where the classes DO count towards PDUs but not this specific one.

A very easy way to get PDUs is sign up for CBT Nuggets. They are a PMI R.E.P; when you complete a course you can get a certificate of PDU from the website and they will count those. There are currently 18 courses in CBT Nuggets that count towards PDU; and at $84 dollars a month it is the cheapest way to get PDUs that I have determined.

-scott