Exiting out of router/switch initial config without rebooting device?

Moon ChildMoon Child Member Posts: 188 ■■■□□□□□□□
I have done all the exercises from a study book I got for the CCENT exam on a network simulator I downloaded online that came with my study guide. Now I am going back and trying to learn everything on the actual Cisco equipment. I got a CISCO router and Switch I bought online that I am playing with.

My question is when I am in the initial router/ switch configuration and for whatever reason I want to get out of that initial configuration screen is there any command I can do to start over? I tried a lot of commands that work once your past that initial configuration and in the router> prompt, but they don't seem to work in that initial configuration screen.

I read online to get out of it and restart the initial configuration dialog menu to reboot the router/switch. I tried that and it works, but is there an easier way? Like a simple command I can type to restart it.

I am talking about when the router /switch asks for a hostname, passwords, what line you want to connect to like: vlan1, FastEthernet 0/0, what IP address you will use, etc.

If I messed up on one of those prompts and answered accidentally "yes" instead of a "no" or accidentally made a typing error and want to redo the initial configuration process is there any command I can type besides rebooting the router / switch?
... the world seems full of good men--even if there are monsters in it. - Bram Stoker, Dracula

Comments

• HondabuffHondabuff Member Posts: 667 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Moon Child wrote: »
    I have done all the exercises from a study book I got for the CCENT exam on a network simulator I downloaded online that came with my study guide. Now I am going back and trying to learn everything on the actual Cisco equipment. I got a CISCO router and Switch I bought online that I am playing with.

My question is when I am in the initial router/ switch configuration and for whatever reason I want to get out of that initial configuration screen is there any command I can do to start over? I tried a lot of commands that work once your past that initial configuration and in the router> prompt, but they don't seem to work in that initial configuration screen.

I read online to get out of it and restart the initial configuration dialog menu to reboot the router/switch. I tried that and it works, but is there an easier way? Like a simple command I can type to restart it.

I am talking about when the router /switch asks for a hostname, passwords, what line you want to connect to like: vlan1, FastEthernet 0/0, what IP address you will use, etc.

If I messed up on one of those prompts and answered accidentally "yes" instead of a "no" or accidentally made a typing error and want to redo the initial configuration process is there any command I can type besides rebooting the router / switch?

No one uses the intital setup wizard with Cisco equipment. Once you have been doing it for a while you get into a flow
    of setting up all the basic stuff like passwords, hostname, banners, VTY's, AAA and so on. Once you start doing it for a
    a living you normally do this all one time and build a template that you copy and paste. I built and deployed over 300 routers
    in 2017 for my company and it would be awful to have to type the config in over and over every time but I could if I needed to.
    I would start with this book https://www.amazon.com/Routing-Switching-Portable-Command-Guide/dp/1587204304 and build your skills from there.
    Being a skilled Cisco guy means you can get into a Router and Switch and clean up a dirty config. I would practice with Packet Tracer on building your skills because repitition is needed and real equipment takes to long to clear your configs and reload.
    “The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you can’t always be sure of their authenticity.” ~Abraham Lincoln