Cmd/ps

JRavinJRavin Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Just starting to study for the 740. Quick Question.
Do I need to learn both the Command Line and Powershell commands for every step? Or can I concentrate on Powershell as that is the way MS is heading?

Thanks for the help!

Comments

• malachi1612malachi1612 Member Posts: 430 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I don't remember seeing any command line in my exam only powershell. Perhaps I just got lucky not to see any.
    Certifications:
    MCSE: Cloud Platform and Infrastructure, MCSA: Windows Server 2016, ITIL Foundation, MCSA: Windows 10, MCP, Azure Fundamentals, Security+.

• JRavinJRavin Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks Malachi. A couple of threads and other sites really stress knowing PowerShell. So I am going to stick with that.
  • malachi1612malachi1612 Member Posts: 430 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Definitely, this was my 3rd MS cert exam and knowing Powershell is a must.
    Certifications:
    MCSE: Cloud Platform and Infrastructure, MCSA: Windows Server 2016, ITIL Foundation, MCSA: Windows 10, MCP, Azure Fundamentals, Security+.

• PseudonymPseudonym Member Posts: 341 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I think you're safe with powershell unless prep material specifically mentions commands, then you should remember both.
    Certifications - A+, Net+, Sec+, Linux+, ITIL v3, MCITP:EDST/EDA, CCNA R&S/Cyber Ops, MCSA:2008/2012, MCSE:CP&I, RHCSA
    Working on - RHCE
  • poolmanjimpoolmanjim Member Posts: 285 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Microsoft will throw lots of Powershell so definitely be comfortable with that. As these exams continue to age, more CMD commands will slip into the materials. I don't specifically remember any cmd stuff on my upgrade but that doesn't mean it wasn't there. There are a few things that still require old CMD commands (looking at you AD Trusts) but beyond those it isn't specifically required.

It serves you well to at least have a basic understanding of both that way when they do ask a question and put both on it you can filter through it easier and faster.
    2019 Goals: Security+
    2020 Goals: 70-744, Azure
    Completed: MCSA 2012 (01/2016), MCSE: Cloud Platform and Infrastructure (07/2017), MCSA 2017 (09/2017)
    Future Goals: CISSP, CCENT
  • PhalanxPhalanx Member Posts: 331 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The last exam I did, one of the questions, they asked me to construct the proper command from a series of dropdown boxes, which has a mix of CMD and Powershell options. So I think the idea is that you can know one, the other or both. As long as you know how to construct them and use them. :) Personally, I know a lot of CMD already, so am focusing on learning the PS equivalents, but in the exams they do allow for previous knowledge, as long as it still works in 2016, by the looks of it.
    Client & Security: Microsoft 365 Modern Desktop Administrator Associate | MCSE: Mobility
    Server & Networking: MCSA: Windows Server 2016 | MTA: Networking Fundamentals
    Data Privacy & Project/Service Management: PECB GDPR DPO/Practitioner | ITIL 2011: Foundation | CompTIA Project+
    Currently Studying: Microsoft 365 Enterprise Administrator Expert