Cert Questions

IronbeatIronbeat Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
I am pretty new to IT. But dreaming to enter the door though. How's the route of A+, network+, then MCSA. Is it still a feasible way to get an entry level job. I don't mind how many certs to go after, don't mind to assemble computor at the back of a shop. Just wanna have a new career. Been doing odd jobs for years, just hate it. Wanna change. Thanks!
Ironbeat

Comments

• bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
    hey! welcome to the site!

A+, network+ and MCSA is definitely a good path. How's your background with computing? A+ has been updated recently, so there's now "two" tracks you can be certified on. I think you only have a couple of months left to get the older track, and after that, it's all going to be the "2006" objectives.

http://certification.comptia.org/a/default.aspx

There's alot of things to consider when choosing a new career, money is usually the first thing. Can you afford to survive on the salary of a pc tech. where you might only be making slightly better than minimum wage? Your current career could also affect the outcome, I know cases where people with call centre background were able to jump to helpdesk/technical support jobs with a few MS exams (MCP) and thus made a decent living.

I'm not saying that helpdesk is necessarily better or worst than pc tech. and the truth is that it's probably harder to get a job as a technician without experience.

I also know of success stories from people looking into switching career using their community colleges. I know that many colleges will have co-op options built into their diploma programs, generally only 2-3 years in length, so that way you will get to have training + experience + education all in one shot in a relatively short period of time.

Good luck!
    Jack of all trades, master of none
  • IronbeatIronbeat Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    For the quick response. I took a 10 monthes' course and had a diploma on Internet programming in Canada, then I had programmer cert on Java2 platform. But then, it was at 2001 when the IT bubble burst. Many people lost jobs, so I missed the chance to enter the door. My background is a little bit complicate, I might not be able to enroll again into college. All I can do is to go after certs to prove my ability. I want to go into hardware side rather than programming side of the IT field. So I need suggestion on cert pursuing.
    Ironbeat
    ok...fair enough....I cant say I am any expert, but I have seen and spoken to various people that have tried different things. I can share with you what I think works, and what I think are not so good paths.

In your case, have you thought about CCNA? I know that there are lots of network academies out there that are great. I am sure there're lots of A+/Network+/MCSA bootcamps out there also, but they tend to be expensive, and I am not sure if they're meant for people with little or no experience.

http://www.cisco.com/web/learning/netacad/index.html
    En, thanks again for your suggetion. I am from a foreign country. Before I came, I've done some researchs at bookstores. Surprisingly, couldn't even find any books on Microsoft certs any more, but a lot on Cisco though. So, I am pretty confused on the career trend. What you mean is A+, network+, then CCNA. Or just stand alone CCNA. I don't know nothing about Cisco at all, should do some research from now on.
    Ironbeat
    A+, Network+ and a few others are vendor neutral certs by CompTIA.
    http://certification.comptia.org/

Microsoft Certified Professional (MCP) and Microsoft Certified Systems Administrator (MCSA) are certifications led upto by several exams, obviously by Microsoft.
    http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/certifications.asp

Cisco, is a highly recognized company specializing in networking hardware/software and services.
    http://www.cisco.com/web/learning/le3/learning_career_certifications_and_learning_paths_home.html

as you can see, CCNA is their entry level cert that introduces many of their technologies.

Network Academy is a training program authorized by Cisco taught by vendors around the world. I suggest it because I know of the many success stories.
    1. You suggest self study on the CCNA? Cos' I might not be able to afford the academy learning. Still got outstanding loan on my butt from the previous diploma.

2. Any source that you know about learning at Vancouver Canada? Cos' I am a Canadian.

Anyway, you've been very helpful. And many many thanks!
    Ironbeat
    This site has a great CCNA FAQ section. I read that many many times to know the things I do.

From experience, CCNA is sort of hard to self study unless you're doing network related work. In the summer, I was starting to study for CCNA, bought 3 routers, but then it was simply too hard to focus and learn...so then I decided to get MCSA first, I'm 2 exams away from getting my MCSA, and then I will be back to CCNA.

Vancouver eh? I know that their IT industry is starting to take off influenced by Edmonton/Calgary. I heard that Telus is launching many projects there.

Do you guys have chapters indigo over there? If not, you can shop online:
    http://www.chapters.indigo.ca/home Check out CCNA books as recommended by the FAQ section, we have lots of knowledgable people here that are more than willing to help and support.

Cheers~
  • moss12moss12 Banned Posts: 220 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Yes CCNA is a very hard certification to study, even I am finding it difficult for ICND, should’ve done Network+ first but its very expensive exam NZ $500. The ICND is cheaper for me with the voucher. I will probably save money and do Network+ it is worth it.

Ironbeat therefore I suggest for you to do Network+ and move up the ladder otherwise you will not understand the hard topics of CCNA
    I think I will do the network+ first.
    Ironbeat
  • webexplorerwebexplorer Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Ironbeat wrote:
    I think I will do the network+ first.
    CCNA is Cisco orientated got Cisco protocols, network+ you got info what you can apply to/on any computer
  • TrailerisfTrailerisf Member Posts: 455
    Ironbeat wrote:
    1. You suggest self study on the CCNA? Cos' I might not be able to afford the academy learning. Still got outstanding loan on my butt from the previous diploma.

2. Any source that you know about learning at Vancouver Canada? Cos' I am a Canadian.

Anyway, you've been very helpful. And many many thanks!
    I live in Vancouver also. I can give you the A+ books and Net+ books for free.

If I am lucky enough, I can print off my 30 pages of notes for the Net+ exam... Has everything you need to memorize for the exam.. (osi, cabling etc etc) (bad things is I have no idea where I stored them or even called them)

PM me and I'll meet you downtown one day.
    On the road to Cisco. Will I hunt it, or will it hunt me?
    I am in US now. But might go back to Vancouver in 1 or 2 monthes. Will contact you then.
    Ironbeat