Is CCNP overkill for someone who is interested in a Cyber Security career?

JacktivatedJacktivated Member Posts: 39 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi All,

I currently have a CCNA and had originally been planning to get my CCNP Routing/Switching, but recently decided to head into the Cyber Security field, since my role at work is starting to shift in that direction for the foreseeable future.

My question is should I still go for the CCNP R/S before getting into Cyber Security, or is it overkill, and I should just start focusing on InfoSec certifications?

Also, after the CompTIA Security+, I was thinking of next doing SSCP, then CEH. Possibly eventually going for the CISSP, after meeting the requirements. What are your recommendations?

Thank you very much, in advance.

Comments

• Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Yes, unless you want to just work on network security all the time, you're unlikely to need that level of detail on Cisco config.
  • ErtazErtaz Member Posts: 934 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Hi All,

I currently have a CCNA and had originally been planning to get my CCNP Routing/Switching, but recently decided to head into the Cyber Security field, since my role at work is starting to shift in that direction for the foreseeable future.

My question is should I still go for the CCNP R/S before getting into Cyber Security, or is it overkill, and I should just start focusing on InfoSec certifications?

Also, after the CompTIA Security+, I was thinking of next doing SSCP, then CEH. Possibly eventually going for the CISSP, after meeting the requirements. What are your recommendations?

Thank you very much, in advance.

It is overkill, but it really depends on what you want to do. It will certainly improve your overall baseline of knowledge around network technologies. It will also will garner you some respect from the folks doing those jobs when you interface with them from a security perspective.
  • chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    It is not needed, take it from me, I was a network engineer for 9 years and switched over to security 3 years ago. CCNA routing and switching is good enough. CCNP could be a long journey depending on your experience, you may be looking at a 8-12 months journey. I would only go CCNP if I had network engineering as my long term career path. CCNP level knowledge is always great to have and will help to a certain extent, but it wont make you better than the next security guy who is amazing at system security, powershell, web application pentesting, red teaming, network pentesting, exploit development, linux, forensics, etc.

If security is your long term goal, forget the CCNP, you can spend 8-12 months getting security related certs to name a few CEH, SSCP, eJPT , ECPPT, OSCP, etc .
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • MooseboostMooseboost Member Posts: 778 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I mostly agree with what the others have said. CCNA will give you enough understanding of networking to move into a security role. CCNP would be nice to have but it won't further your career unless you shift towards security engineering.

If you find yourself wanting the CCNP just to have it, then you can always circle back to it later.
  • --chris----chris-- Member Posts: 1,518 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I vote for CCNA: R&S level knowledge. If you are working with IPS/IDS/Firewalls/pcap analysis in a security role you will be really happy when you recognize all the different data flows instead of just blankly starring at it and googling until you stumble across what you need.
  • rontolrontol Registered Users Posts: 3 ■■□□□□□□□□
    This is something that i keep in mind as well....if CCNP is an overkill...what is the decent combo for CCNA ?

From my reading...it seems that there's no 'middle' level for Security certification....

CEH - a lot of people said too easy...basic or foundational
    Security+ - ...not sure...not that famous in our region
    OSCP - hard i guess...not a pentester by any chance

i saw a lot of consultant here go CISSP/CISM path....
  • b0Risb0Ris Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    rontol wrote: »
    This is something that i keep in mind as well....if CCNP is an overkill...what is the decent combo for CCNA ?

From my reading...it seems that there's no 'middle' level for Security certification....

CEH - a lot of people said too easy...basic or foundational
    Security+ - ...not sure...not that famous in our region
    OSCP - hard i guess...not a pentester by any chance

i saw a lot of consultant here go CISSP/CISM path....

Depends on what you want to do. CCNA R&S is good to have as well as CCNA Security if you are in a security career. I would pass over the CEH unless it is paid for by work. Sec+ is a good entry level cert.

Managers/Management should have both the CISSP and CISM (or similar combination). Consultants will get the knowledge and certs that are needed to continue their career.

OSCP (the course) is hard but I think it is much more useful outside just PenTesting. If you're going to get into pentesting OSCP (official cert) is good to have.