Mind Maps. Yea or Nay?

shoeyshoey Member Posts: 111 ■■■□□□□□□□
Just curious if anyone uses mind maps for cert studying and if so, do you think it made a substantial difference?
"I have missed more than 9,000 shots in my career. I have lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed." - Michael Jordan

Comments

• dontstopdontstop Member Posts: 579 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I used them as part of my CCENT, CCNA studies and found them fairly good at forcing my brain to recall the commands. The only issue is that doing them a very time consuming.
  • shoeyshoey Member Posts: 111 ■■■□□□□□□□
    dontstop wrote: »
    I used them as part of my CCENT, CCNA studies and found them fairly good at forcing my brain to recall the commands. The only issue is that doing them a very time consuming.

Do you think there's any benefit to reading over someone else's mind map? Or is the real benefit in taking the time to map out everything yourself?
    "I have missed more than 9,000 shots in my career. I have lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed." - Michael Jordan
  • dontstopdontstop Member Posts: 579 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I think like writing notes that the process of creating the mind maps and is what is most valuable. That's not to say there isn't value from reading other people's mind maps as it depends on how you learn. Once you create your own notes/mind maps they then become your own condensed form of revision.
  • ccie14023ccie14023 Member Posts: 183
    Memory is generally very visual. That is why advanced memory techniques, such as the method of loci (aka memory palaces) are primarily visualization techniques. It's also why you will remember the exact location on a printed page of some text you read, and be able to find it quickly. I've never been a huge fan of mind maps per se, but diagramming techniques can be extremely helpful for visualizing and committing to memory difficult and complex data. I mentioned this in a blog post I wrote and gave an example of how I diagrammed some complex configuration:

Multiple CCIE's, multiple attempts - SubnetZero
  • b0Risb0Ris Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I think this comes down to what works for you personally. I know that I dont get a lot of benefit out of mind maps and the few times I have tried to make anything have been a waste of time. Again, this is personal preference.

On the other hand, labs and flash cards are my go to.

I think the key at the end of the day is for you to create your own study materials (dont rip stuff directly off the internet).
  • gespensterngespenstern Member Posts: 1,243 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Nay. Doesn't work for me.
  • NavyMooseCCNANavyMooseCCNA Member Posts: 544 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm doing a mindmap for the first time with my CISSP. The jury is still out if it is helpful or a colossal waste of time.

'My dear you are ugly, but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly' Winston Churchil

• stlsmoorestlsmoore Member Posts: 515 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Using flashcards such as Anki I find more efficient than mind maps. I like using mind maps for planning out goals for a specific project.
    My Cisco Blog Adventure: http://shawnmoorecisco.blogspot.com/

Don't Forget to Add me on LinkedIn!
    https://www.linkedin.com/in/shawnrmoore
  • ratherunique17ratherunique17 Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I love them. I like my notes to be highly concise. It also helps me to retain information better. I use one of my self-made mindmap templates that I made in Microsoft word. With that, I will print it out then write on it.

Or, I use mindmeister.com.

Sadly, I've just gotten into mind mapping as well. At 25 years old and 6 months left on my Masters lol. Better late than never, I guess.
    2015- BA
    2018-
    MA (Cybersecurity & Government affairs concentrations)
    2018:
    (A+, Sec+, Net+/CCENT for Certs) (Python,& SQL.Maybe C Programming)
    Later: (TBA Certs.)(Ruby, Assembly Programming)
    More School?: MSc in Computer Science. Georgia Tech's Online Masters (2019/2020)
  • DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    stlsmoore wrote: »
    Using flashcards such as Anki I find more efficient than mind maps. I like using mind maps for planning out goals for a specific project.

Flashcards here as well. Mind maps don't do much for me.
  • TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I'm more of a GPS guy.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • ITSec14ITSec14 Member Posts: 398 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I used them while studying for the CISSP. I would say the biggest benefit from it was seeing all the domains broken down on a single page. I think mentally it helped me not get so lost in all of the content and keep a high level view of everything.
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    I looked at them a few times and wanted to like them but never really made sense or helped me in any way.
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    It's really all about what works well for you. I prefer flash cards and handwritten notes.