Pathway guidance needed

ExploreITExploreIT Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi,

I'm a bit lost on what to tackle next, currently I hold a certification for ITIL foundation, MTA: Infrastructure and will be starting a certification course in Computer Security and Digital Forensic (quiet mouthful) and one of the course I will be taking is class for CISSP which I am hoping get me ready to write the certification after. I want to know what is an ideal certificate I can pair with CISSP to optimize my timing and hopefully achieving 2 certificates in a short period of time.

I enjoy working close with technology but I am split on working with system or network. Any suggest and input would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance!

Comments

• TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    How much experience do you have? How many years of professional experience? CISSP requires 5 years professional experience, do you have that?

If you like networks then try CCNA, its a nice addition.
  • ExploreITExploreIT Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Currently, I have 2+ years of jr system admin/deskside support and I did an 8 months internship as an Infrastructure Analyst in a data center.

Will those experience be valid for CISSP?
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    ExploreIT wrote: »
    Will those experience be valid for CISSP?

If you can find activities that you did that would fit in to 2 of their domains it would.
  • TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If you can find activities that you did that would fit in to 2 of their domains it would.

No it wouldn't, CISSP requires 5 years experience. You can drop it tp 4 if you have a security cert from their approved list or a 4 year degree.
    In order to register for the CISSP certification exam, you must demonstrate that you possess a minimum of five years of professional experience in the information security field
  • yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    CISSP alone is a huge endeavor. I wouldn't attempt it in a short period of time. I wouldn't pair it with anything either; just focus on it alone if you're serious about obtaining it. If you pass you can still be an ISC Associate, which converts to CISSP once you have enough work experience to qualify.

To put things into perspective, ITIL Foundations & MTA are like two college courses in your first year. CISSP is like getting the MBA at the end.

Considering the dozens (if not into the hundreds) of hours you'll be putting into studying for this exam, you should consider spending one reading up on the requirements.https://www.isc2.org/Certifications/Associate
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP