Options

Switch Remote Management Question

jtdoc101jtdoc101 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
I'm taking a community college course meant to prepare us for ICND1, so the final I just took used Cisco-provided questions. There was one question that's really stumping me, and I'd like to get some input on it. For the record, the final is now complete and my grade is posted, so no academic dishonesty here.

Which of the following is needed to manage a switch remotely? (Choose Three)
  • Configure IP address
  • Configure default VLAN
  • Setup vty lines
  • Configure default gateway
  • (Answer I don't remember I'm 99% sure was wrong)
I wasn't sure about my answers and I'd like some feedback. Obviously, we're trying to figure out which of the four answers is not a requirement, but I'm not sure which it is. I can see a case for "vty lines" not required, since it's possible to access the switch through https. I can also see a case for "IP address" not required, if it's counting assigning an IP to an SVI as part of "configure default vlan." Or is "configure default VLAN" not required, since you don't have to take any action other than assigning an IP to the SVI.

Has anyone run into this sort of thing before, and can give some insight on what answer Cisco wants here? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    networkfuzznetworkfuzz Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    My answer would be: an ip address on the SVI, vty line enabled, and a default-gateway.

There's no reason you'd need to configure a default VLAN. It's already enabled by default(hence, default vlan).
  • Options
    clarsonclarson Member Posts: 903 ■■■■□□□□□□
    They would like you to know what is necessary for making a remote connection.

The question can be asked for you to identify what is necessary for that to happen.

There is two ways to answer that question.
    1) identify what is necessary
    2) identify what isn't necessary. And, therefore, everything else is necessary

answers 2 and 5 are not necessary. so, 1, 3, and 4 are necessary.

Just a methodology for creating test questions. A good test taker would recognize that. But, your taking a cert test. Your not testing to become a great test taker. So, they are just confusing you. That way you are going to take additional time to answer the question. Which isn't good on a timed test. But, hopefully, we are all pretty much taking the same test.

And, this is a troubleshooting method also. Sometimes identifying what isn't the problem helps in finding what is the problem.