Failed 70-740 today 624/700

Tfoote01Tfoote01 Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
Ugh I am so embarrassed and ashamed. I don't think I was as prepared as I should have been for the exam. I watched the Udemy videos they were helpful in the wide overview. I also user MesureUP in study mode. That helped quite a bit actually. I didn't feel 100% confident on the storage and VM migration questions.

Ugh was so close. Would have been nice to crest the 700.

Im trying to figure out how to recover and feel more confident and re-take the exam.

Comments

• PseudonymPseudonym Member Posts: 341 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Don't be embarrassed. Microsoft exams are hard.

Did you do any labbing?
    Certifications - A+, Net+, Sec+, Linux+, ITIL v3, MCITP:EDST/EDA, CCNA R&S/Cyber Ops, MCSA:2008/2012, MCSE:CP&I, RHCSA
    Working on - RHCE
  • Tfoote01Tfoote01 Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    yeah I did, plus ima sys admin. Didnt focus on Docker enough and containers. those I was lost in. Powershell im ok in. Its just a couple tripped me up then I paniced.
  • malachi1612malachi1612 Member Posts: 430 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Docker and containers were a pain for me. A small percentage in the exam objectives but i saw a lot of questions when I did the exam.
    Certifications:
    MCSE: Cloud Platform and Infrastructure, MCSA: Windows Server 2016, ITIL Foundation, MCSA: Windows 10, MCP, Azure Fundamentals, Security+.

• Tfoote01Tfoote01 Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    thats the truth. most material I saw was like know what it is....but that's is about it. The exam however, KNOW how to use it!! It was covered in more depth than I expected.
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I got burned on a 2012 R2 exam earlier in the year, not expecting to be tested much on a couple of what I considered minor feature updates, and I have been doing this for 17 years. Don't get down, it happens.

You absolutely must know any newly introduced features backwards and forwards it seems, and not assume each topic in the blueprint will be represented equally. Knowing the GUI (on which tabs to find which settings), command line (Powershell and other) of common tasks with options, and how to think through the process flow of how certain tasks associated with a feature work are essential for the drag and drop questions of these topics.

Preaching to the choir I know, now that you have experienced it for yourself.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • kaijukaiju Member Posts: 453 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Order the 70-740 ebook from Amazon. You might as well order the 70-741 ebook too because that is the test that most people fail.

Read, read, read. Self test and then read some more. You can download the ISO with your Microsoft account and start tinkering.
    Work smarter NOT harder! Semper Gumby!
  • Bill2niceBill2nice Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Sorry to hear. What score did you get?
    MCSE - Cloud Platform and Infrastructure - Oct 2017
    MCSA - Windows Server 2016 Aug 2017
    Thinking about CISSP - Hopefully next year.
    MCSE - Cloud Platform and Infrastructure
  • jpanda206jpanda206 Member Posts: 23 ■■□□□□□□□□
    CBT Nuggets are a good resource for stuff you have no experience about...they hand hold you through labs as well.
  • SyntheticMeSyntheticMe Member Posts: 15 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I sat for 70-740 Yesterday and got the same score (624). This isn't my 1st rodeo, but it still sucks not to nail it on the first try.

I need more studying across the board. Command line/powershell to be a big focus.

I have been using CBT Nuggets and following along on my own Powershell R610 virtual lab.

And am thinking about
    https://www.cybrary.it/catalog/transcender_tests/mscert-installation-storage-and-compute-with-windows-server-2016#vendor

Retest in 7 days of so.

Good luck
  • PhalanxPhalanx Member Posts: 331 ■■■□□□□□□□
    All I will say is book the retest now. Get it deadlined; it will keep you focused.
    Client & Security: Microsoft 365 Modern Desktop Administrator Associate | MCSE: Mobility
    Server & Networking: MCSA: Windows Server 2016 | MTA: Networking Fundamentals
    Data Privacy & Project/Service Management: PECB GDPR DPO/Practitioner | ITIL 2011: Foundation | CompTIA Project+
    Currently Studying: Microsoft 365 Enterprise Administrator Expert