Options

Path to Systems architect - Cert path advise

emilopaemilopa Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey guys, I am looking for advise on how to structure my cert path to get to the level of systems architect (or in other words, someone who can design a secure network/domain/business). I can see myself in the future opening an security/network/it consulting business or work as freelancer.

A little about myself, 23 years old, 5 years of experience in IT (2 as help desk and 3 as information security and systems administrator). Comptia security plus and OSCP certified. CCNA R/S + security level of knoledge (but I didnt do the certs), very good linux and windows skills, automation scripting (python, bash, batch, powershell and more), virtualization, storage, backups... an all around IT guy.

As I said I am looking to take my career forward, so I am looking for an advise on how to plan my certs path.
Keep in mind I do not have 4 years of real world experience - so I cant go for full CISSP as for know. In about a year i could try CISSP.

I planned something like this:

1. CCNA R/S (should not be that hard as I probably know 70% of the cert allready)
2. CCNA Security or CCDA (what you guys think? what should i go for?)
3. CISSP (I would have 4 years by now).
4. CCNP Security or CCDP (depens on second cert).
5. OSCE just for fun :D
5. maybe try CCIE or CCDE? or that an overkill?

I think that someone that holds, CISSP, OSCP, OSCE, CCNP Security/CCDE is pretty much in god mode where it comes to designing secure networks and domains icon_twisted.gif

Keep in mind that I planned to commit to Computer science degree in the open uni, the certs path are the alternative as I do not think that the degree would give me what I am looking for. So the 4 years that I planned to spend on the degree could be replaced with the certs.

What you guys think?

Thank you for your time.

Comments

• Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,028 Admin
    I think you should shoot straight for CCIE R/S, Data Center, and Security. Pay special attention to Software-Defined Networking because that's the current trend. Add in the Cloud certs (CCSP, CCSK, all AWS) because everything is going Cloud too. Not many network architects bother with CISSP, so you can put that off until much later.
  • Options
    emilopaemilopa Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    JDMurray wrote: »
    I think you should shoot straight for CCIE R/S, Data Center, and Security. Pay special attention to Software-Defined Networking because that's the current trend. Add in the Cloud certs (CCSP, CCSK, all AWS) because everything is going Cloud too. Not many network architects bother with CISSP, so you can put that off until much later.

Thank you for your answer.

Ill read more about the AWS certs, And I will probably register to CCNA R/S and CCNA Security exams to start with my journey.
    Do AWS cover all cloud based systems or they are vendor centered?

Do you think i should pursue the 3 CCIE? or you ment one of the 3?
  • Options
    Amazon Web Services certs only cover the Amazon Cloud, just as Microsoft certs only cover Microsoft's Cloud technology. And yes, having three CCIE certs will certainly get you to the head of the interview line, so you might as well shoot for it. The CCIE has no prerequisites; start with R/S first over at www.routergods.com.
  • Options
    TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Ideally making progress towards CCIE:R&S and a degree at the same time would be the best first start...plain and simple no degree will create challenges it’s just the way it is.

AWS or Azure are basically the best cloud options...with AWS being the preferred. After at least a CCNP you could consider getting an AWS certification. Additionally I would look into the different architecture frameworks (TOGAF, Zachman, etc.) as you can and should get certified...architecture is much more than just the latest fad technology.
  • Options
    techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Don't forget vSphere! As an SMB systems architect VCAP was the main cert focus with AWS coming up. Networking plays a crucial but relatively small part in my position.
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
  • Options
    If you are planning on getting a job working on AWS from inside of an Amazon data center, realize that AWS runs on a customized Xen and more recently KVM.