Considering starting a CCIE journey

MitMMitM Member Posts: 622 ■■■■□□□□□□
So 2017 was the first year in a long time that I did not take 1 certification exam. I had some goals when I started the year, but had some personal issues come up that kind of derailed them. I have been studying various things throughout the year, so it hasn't been a total loss. The exam break has actually been nice.

The question I've been asking myself is, if I take this plunge, which expert level certification makes the most sense to go after. I have an interest in the Security and DC tracks, but I don't deal with a lot of the technologies they cover. DC is also an expensive track to lab. That said, I'm leaning towards CCIE R&S. My initial thought was to go for the CCDE since I'd like to get an Architect role one day. My research has shown that most obtain a CCIE before attempting CCDE.

My CCNP R&S expires near the end of 2019, so that gives a good amount of time to complete a written exam.

Comments

• dwemerdwemer Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Since you have an interest in Security an DC, I would suggest one of those over R&S. It is good to differentiate yourself in a specialty. Security expertise will continue to increase in need as threats increase; it is inevitable. IMO, you cannot go wrong attaining CCIE Security.
  • MitMMitM Member Posts: 622 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Thanks for the reply. I agree, one cannot go wrong with CCIE Security. I also agree that it's good to differentiate yourself. Since my plan is to learn ACI/NSX as well, I was thinking the R&S track gave me a good base for those technologies. It's also very easy to lab most of those topics at home :)
  • bharvey92bharvey92 Member Posts: 419
    Hi MitM,

Welcome on board, I suppose one of the first things to ask is what do you do day to day? It helps to be working in that field I think.

Others may disagree, but for me personally when I did my CCNA DC (yes I appreciate its only CCNA DC). It helped me tons that I was working on a DC migration project working in 5K’s and 2K’s..it’s quite expensive to lab also! But hey pursuing an IE number full stop is expensive!

I suppose the other thing is if you are doing something like that he Security or DC is will your company help pay for it? I suppose if it is beneficial for them then they certainly will!
    2018 Goal: CCIE Written [ ]
    Hi BHarvey,

Thanks for the reply. So day to day, I handle a somewhat smaller sized global network of around 60 sites. The WAN is mostly a managed MPLS and a few locations are site-to-site vpns. I'm mostly dealing with catalyst switches, a few nexus 5Ks and 2Ks. For security, we are strictly Palo Alto for firewalls. Also handling ip phones/cucm/uccx (running on 2 UCS servers) but I have 0 interest in that voice/video :)

In my prior role (same company), I was handling vmware, ms exchange/O365, etc

As for company paying, I think they'd only pay if/when I pass the lab. The rest would be self fund
  • ccie14023ccie14023 Member Posts: 183
    I tend to think you should go R/S before attempting other tracks, but I'm old school. The foundational knowledge of that exam is quite valuable and you can always setup your DC lab with the raise you get for passing the R/S.
  • NOC-NinjaNOC-Ninja Member Posts: 1,403
    Go for the track that you are exposed to. CCIE is a hands on test.
    I was thinking of DC but damn those devices are not cheap. You are better off building a CCIE RS lab.
  • down77down77 Member Posts: 1,009
    NOC-Ninja wrote: »
    Go for the track that you are exposed to. CCIE is a hands on test.

Good advice.

OP: You can readily build RS/Sec/SP study scenarios in GNS3/VIRL/Etc. There are many options for study material (INE AAP can be a monthly subscription) that can help minimize the hit to the pocketbook. A number of members here are also more than willing to answer any questions you may have, or to provide blog links to articles they or others have created to help in your studies.

Good Luck!
    CCIE Sec: Starting Nov 11
  • bharvey92bharvey92 Member Posts: 419
    MitM wrote: »
    Hi BHarvey,

Thanks for the reply. So day to day, I handle a somewhat smaller sized global network of around 60 sites. The WAN is mostly a managed MPLS and a few locations are site-to-site vpns. I'm mostly dealing with catalyst switches, a few nexus 5Ks and 2Ks. For security, we are strictly Palo Alto for firewalls. Also handling ip phones/cucm/uccx (running on 2 UCS servers) but I have 0 interest in that voice/video :)

In my prior role (same company), I was handling vmware, ms exchange/O365, etc

As for company paying, I think they'd only pay if/when I pass the lab. The rest would be self fund

So just reading this, I think you would personally be better suited for CCIE R&S, sounds like your work is more based around that.. if you work on Palo Alto's (personally the best FW's IMO ;) ) you should rule out CCIE Sec, as someone mentioned you should opt for something you use day to day, it's difficult enough retaining info! If you don't work on it day to day it will be tough!

Hey it's your choice though! There are other guy/girls on here who have their CCIE's that probably have a better point of view!
    2018 Goal: CCIE Written [ ]
    ccie14023 wrote: »
    I tend to think you should go R/S before attempting other tracks, but I'm old school. The foundational knowledge of that exam is quite valuable and you can always setup your DC lab with the raise you get for passing the R/S.

I guess I'm old school too, because that makes sense to me. Btw your TAC Tales are great reading

down77 wrote: »

OP: You can readily build RS/Sec/SP study scenarios in GNS3/VIRL/Etc. There are many options for study material (INE AAP can be a monthly subscription) that can help minimize the hit to the pocketbook. A number of members here are also more than willing to answer any questions you may have, or to provide blog links to articles they or others have created to help in your studies.

Good Luck!

Yup, I have had INE AAP for 2 years now, and I have both VIRL and GNS3, but I tend to use the virl images inside GNS3. I have a tough time virtualizaing the security stuff due to it being a pain for me to get trial licenses and the images.

NOC-Ninja, bharvey thank you for your replies too. I'm going to continue down the R&S path
    After more thought, I'm going to stick with initial thought and go for the CCDE. It will be a long journey, but there is no rush. For now, I will continue learning R&S/SP technologies to make me a better engineer
  • Masked_KingMasked_King Banned Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    MitM wrote: »
    So 2017 was the first year in a long time that I did not take 1 certification exam. I had some goals when I started the year, but had some personal issues come up that kind of derailed them. I have been studying various things throughout the year, so it hasn't been a total loss. The exam break has actually been nice.

The question I've been asking myself is, if I take this plunge, which expert level certification makes the most sense to go after. I have an interest in the Security and DC tracks, but I don't deal with a lot of the technologies they cover. DC is also an expensive track to lab. That said, I'm leaning towards CCIE R&S. My initial thought was to go for the CCDE since I'd like to get an Architect role one day. My research has shown that most obtain a CCIE before attempting CCDE.

My CCNP R&S expires near the end of 2019, so that gives a good amount of time to complete a written exam.

CCIE Ameritus (sp) or bust. AmIRitttte? However seriously, if it was me, I am not a gluttony for that much punishment and I have heard the CCIE written is so broad, it could make Jordache jeans come back in style. It makes the CCNA and CCNP look like a 40 yard dash, in retrospect.
  • d4nz1gd4nz1g Member Posts: 464
    as someone who recently sat for the CCIE lab and is still digesting this 1 year and half of study, focus on what you deal with every day. touching BGP/ospf and even DMVPN every day along with some serious study around these technologies would be great for you as an engineer. you will apply advanced foundation knowledge in your day to day, and also will keep things always fresh on your head. imagine this: why would you put in 3-4 hours/day studying, lets say, ISE; if you won't touch this kind of technology for the next few years? what is the point of learning something you won't really get paid to use? anyway, if you get your ccie security today, all that knowledge about ISE will be gone in a few months. and that's it. all you can say after that to your next job interview is "i had expert knowledge on ISE, but its been so long since i saw that.. what was that? ldap integration? av-pairs?"

on the other hand, if you apply expert knowledge on a given domain every day, things tend to be solid for longer. BGP won't change. OSPF is still there after many years. even EIGRP is useful after DMVPN/IWAN.

in the end, after you learn how to learn stuff (yes, this is part of the CCIE process) you can actually consider broadening your knowledge. I am now learning some linux and python, and it is really different how you approach new concepts and discover how to assimilate things quicker. going for something that you dont do often will lead you to have 2 jobs and only get paid once, instead of mixing good quality experience + good level of knowledge.

edit:
    and a CCIE RS is still accepted as a pre-req for some VCP/VCAP certifications. so, why not?
  • Moonboy1985Moonboy1985 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi ccie14023 and all
    Currently, I have had JNCIE-SP. Now I wonder what I shoud to continue? Either security is JNCIE-Sec or R&S is CCIE R&S or anything else
    My work currently related to MPLS, R&S instead of Security. However, about CCIE R&S, I got some advice that technologies used in CCIE R&S are same as JNCIE-SP almost
    I saw you have both JNCIE and CCIE. I'm looking to hearing sharing from you all
    Thank you all