Getting back into Self Study/2018 Goals

pujan96pujan96 Member Posts: 121 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hey all,

Was hoping if anyone can give advice on how to get back into studying.

A couple of months ago I passed the CCNA ICND2, and a few weeks ago I passed the Palo Alto Ace.

Ive since just been "chilling" and watching TV. Im currently in a full time networking role but would like to get back in to self study.

What Id idealy like to do is brush up on CCNA material again, before doing the CCNA security, and then moving onto the CCNP, those are my 2017/2018 goals.

Any advice?

Thanks
[X] CCNA R&S

[X] CCNP Route 300-101
[  ] CCNP Switch 300-115
[  ] CCNP T-Shoot 300-135

[  ]  NPDESI 300-550

[  ] CCIE R&S Written
[  ] CCIE R&S LAB

Comments

• TechnicalJayTechnicalJay Member Posts: 219 ■■■□□□□□□□
    It sounds like you have lost the motivation to continue on gathering certs. I'm sure this happens to everyone time to time and this is the time you should push yourself and be forcing yourself to study your next cert.
  • yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'd focus a bit on your 2019, 2020, and later road map. Once you have that laid out, it justifies the time spent on the goals leading up to later stuff.

So instead of having goals of:
    Perhaps some CCNA review
    Maybe CCNP switch
    CCNA security somewhere in there. . .

It would be:
    Jan 01 - Jan 30: CCNA review
    Feb 01 - Apr 01: CCNA security
    . . . etc.
    . . . with a longer term goal of CCIE R&S by July 01, 2019.

One of my personal goals has been studying for the CSA+ starting Jan 01 through the end of Feb. It's been a goal for a few weeks and I find myself looking forward to Jan 01 so I can begin. I can't start yet and I'm almost tempted to crack the book ahead of time. Might not be the same for you, but having that anticipated tease date actually motivates me to study when the time comes and motivates me to wrap up what I'm working on so I can move on.
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP
  • E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,228 ■■■■■■■■■■
    pujan96 wrote: »

What Id idealy like to do is brush up on CCNA material again, before doing the CCNA security, and then moving onto the CCNP, those are my 2017/2018 goals.

Any advice?

Since you already know what it is that you want, I do not see why you have not begun. Usually "life" gets in the way of people reaching their goals, but it seems to me like you are just lazy if the things holding you back are chilling and television.

My advice: order the material if you haven't already and jump right in.

Just my $0.02.
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • Masked_KingMasked_King Banned Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Did you use Paul Browning study guides for your CCNAs? Do you have a favorite presenter or resource? I wonder if people, in general, have a go-to person or use a heterogeneous type or amount of materials. I got a homo or go to guy and then I go hetero, no pun.