Options

Passed CISSP last week

javabeanjavabean Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Took the exam last week. I learned a lot from this forum and it is time to give back.

A few background: 20+ years of software development, major in Java. Couple of years in network administration (Novell netware, fossil me:D). Couple of recent years in PKI. Prepare 6 months but mostly after work, about 2-3 hours per day.

Books: Sybex guide + Eric Conrad study guide, both from cover to cover, unbelievable for a non-native English speaker (Actually I think my English reading is improved after the studyicon_wink.gif). 3 months for Sybex and 2 months for Eric Conrad, last month for self test. In my point of view, Sybex is closer to the exam but I think the books is just to give you a concept and you are on your own during the exam.

Mp3: Hear Cybrary during my commuter (Kelly provides tricks/tips really help me to memorize something I am not familiar with, thanks!icon_thumright.gif)

Self test: Every material I can get, Sybex + Eric Conrad + CBK + AIO, Simulation test: Official Practice Test two 250 + Sybex 3 Bonus tests (online test is much more easy to let you get the result, it took me about half an hour to get the result from each paper testicon_sad.gif)

Exam: Just like many people said, it is no technical and you need to think like a manager(This CISSP should be CISSM), but you need to familiar with the concept, so after taking the exam I think maybe CBK is the better choice of book. The questions and choices are so long that it took me all six hours to finish (Took a 10 mins break for toilet and a bread after 180 and knock down the remaining 70 after the break), only have around 10 mins to check the flag questions.

Good luck to everybody! The first six hours challenge is over and the other six hours game is on the way (my first marathon next month).icon_cheers.gif

Comments

• Options
    laurieHlaurieH Member Posts: 109 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congratulations! I was similar in terms of timeframe. I think it was actually longer than 6 months but that was because I had to stop and re-start (not something I'd recommend)!
    CCNA - expired
    CISSP - live n' kickin'
    My CISSP study apps
    My CISSP study advice blog
  • Options
    sameojsameoj Member Posts: 366 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congrats on the pass! icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    Thanks all! Just do not know whether I can get the score and how long can get the certificate..
  • Options
    DZA_DZA_ Member Posts: 467 ■■■■■■■□□□
    javabean wrote: »
    Thanks all! Just do not know whether I can get the score and how long can get the certificate..

It's either a pass or a fail, they don't provide the score if you pass but give the the breakdown of your weakest areas if you failed.

Once you pass your examination, you can proceed to do the endorsement process. Your endorser will give the final go ahead to have ISC2 do the final review which can take up to 6 weeks to get the official email.

Cheers,
    DZA_
  • Options
    Info_Sec_WannabeInfo_Sec_Wannabe Member Posts: 428 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Great job! icon_cheers.gif

Unfortunately, this will no longer be a marathon for those that will sit for this exam moving forward due to the change in CAT (me included).
    X year plan: (20XX) OSCP [ ], CCSP [ ]
  • Options
    DZA_ wrote: »
    It's either a pass or a fail, they don't provide the score if you pass but give the the breakdown of your weakest areas if you failed.

Once you pass your examination, you can proceed to do the endorsement process. Your endorser will give the final go ahead to have ISC2 do the final review which can take up to 6 weeks to get the official email.

Cheers,
    DZA_

Thanks! DZA

Now thinking whether I should go for another certificate or not (e.g., CISA) as my memory is still fresh.
  • Options
    mattster79mattster79 Member Posts: 135 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks! DZA

Now thinking whether I should go for another certificate or not (e.g., CISA) as my memory is still fresh.

I would recommend going for the CISA or CISM soon. That way your CISSP knowledge is still fresh.

I passed the CISSP exam in July and passed the CISM in November. Having the CISSP under belt helped me pass the CISM no end.
    CISSP
    CISM
  • Options
    useravuserav Member Posts: 56 ■■□□□□□□□□

I would recommend going for the CCSP soon.