Passed CEHv9 Today.

kasgaromeokasgaromeo Member Posts: 24 ■■□□□□□□□□
I just passed CEHv9. I don't it is worth or not for getting a job after my contract is done. But, I just took the test because its price is only $249 for UMUC student who was taking the Certified Hacker course in 2 years.

I've prepared CEH for about a month with below materials:

1. SkillPort CEHv8 Videos supported by Army.
2. All in One CEH by Matt Walker
3. All the Tests from All in One CEH.
4. Boson Tester

The test itself is not hard, but the grammar problems which everybody mentioned it.

I think OSCP certification helps me a little bit, but I've earned a lot of theoretical knowledges from CEH.

My next steps are OSCE on January 2018, CCNA Cyber Ops on April 2018, and OSEE I will try to purchase in Blackhat conference in August 2018 while I'm pursuing the Master Degree in WGU.

I appreciated everybody in this thread for recommendation how to study CEH. Thanks a lot!

P.S. Do you think that Security+ can be useful for my career? I'm considering to take it after CCNA Cyber Ops.

Comments

• Cisco InfernoCisco Inferno Member Posts: 1,034 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Congratulations from a fellow UMUC Student!

I am taking CMIT 321 (CEH) next semester!

and yes, i think OSCP definitely helped.

I do not think Sec+ will help you especially after OSCP and CCNA:Cyber unless its for resume fluff/work req.
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
  • shochanshochan Member Posts: 1,004 ■■■■■■■■□□
    WOOHOO! Good job...I am reading Matt's book 2nd Ed...I will read the 3rd Ed afterwards to reinforce what I read before. Then I will go back through the hands on labs they recommend (Nmap, Snort, etc). I will also go through all of the skillsoft training & FedVTE training so I am able to take the exam probably in April 2018.

What's up with their grammar on the tests?? Can they not go in there and update to correct it?? I am still on the fence of taking this exam and from the sounds of it, the company seems kinda flakey.
    CompTIA A+, Network+, i-Net+, MCP 70-210, CNA v5, Server+, Security+, Cloud+, CySA+, ISC² CC, ISC² SSCP
  • airzeroairzero Member Posts: 126
    Congrats!! Honestly if you can pass CEH then you can easily pass Security+. Might be worth knocking out if you plan on getting a contracting gig after your done in the army for 8570 reqs. I also used skillport, boson and the all in one and its really all you need to pass the exam.

On another note, nice to see another military guy getting these certs man! I still need to finish up OSCP and eCPPT after this deployment but i'm doing CCNA Cyber Ops at the end of the month. Love to chit chat if you ever wanna study or bounce ideas around since I'll be taking a very similiar path to yours.
  • TuningislifeTuningislife Member Posts: 49 ■■■□□□□□□□
    GRATZ from a fellow UMUC Alumni! Now come join the cyber team icon_wink.gif!

Sec+ was the first cert I got. Then I got the Net+, and got the A+ a couple months ago (just so I can teach the material).

I got the Sec+ to be 8570.01m compliant for IAT II. If your job requires it, then sure, it is good to get.

BTW Cisco Inferno, CMIT321 uses the EC-Council courseware. It can be... very basic if you have any sort of skills.
    Completed: B.S. & M.S. in Cybersecurity, and MBA @ UMUC
  • kasgaromeokasgaromeo Member Posts: 24 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congratulations from a fellow UMUC Student!

I am taking CMIT 321 (CEH) next semester!

and yes, i think OSCP definitely helped.

I do not think Sec+ will help you especially after OSCP and CCNA:Cyber unless its for resume fluff/work req.

Thanks! Fellow UMUC Student! I will graduate this month anyway. Good luck on your UMUC journey!

So, Security+ really can help to break the HR barrier?
    shochan wrote: »
    WOOHOO! Good job...I am reading Matt's book 2nd Ed...I will read the 3rd Ed afterwards to reinforce what I read before. Then I will go back through the hands on labs they recommend (Nmap, Snort, etc). I will also go through all of the skillsoft training & FedVTE training so I am able to take the exam probably in April 2018.

What's up with their grammar on the tests?? Can they not go in there and update to correct it?? I am still on the fence of taking this exam and from the sounds of it, the company seems kinda flakey.

I think if you have the Nmap experience, you don't need to do hands-on. Snort and another security program.. Just memorize from questions! Nope, you can't correct and nothing. But, it is kind of easy exam.. so put on little effort and take the exam!
    airzero wrote: »
    Congrats!! Honestly if you can pass CEH then you can easily pass Security+. Might be worth knocking out if you plan on getting a contracting gig after your done in the army for 8570 reqs. I also used skillport, boson and the all in one and its really all you need to pass the exam.

On another note, nice to see another military guy getting these certs man! I still need to finish up OSCP and eCPPT after this deployment but i'm doing CCNA Cyber Ops at the end of the month. Love to chit chat if you ever wanna study or bounce ideas around since I'll be taking a very similiar path to yours.

Thanks, airzero. I took the test for reclassing another mos in the Army. By the way, it is kind of hard to reclass to me because of the clearance issue, my S-2 lagging me about 5 months for this. Also, I don't know I will get the DoD job after contract lol. I already got OSCP and eCPPT. Do eCPPT first and get OSCP later that's how I passed the OSCP. I think you are in the same cohort as me 28 Dec, right?

Nice to meet you, military fella! I will PM you soon.
    GRATZ from a fellow UMUC Alumni! Now come join the cyber team icon_wink.gif!

Sec+ was the first cert I got. Then I got the Net+, and got the A+ a couple months ago (just so I can teach the material).

I got the Sec+ to be 8570.01m compliant for IAT II. If your job requires it, then sure, it is good to get.

BTW Cisco Inferno, CMIT321 uses the EC-Council courseware. It can be... very basic if you have any sort of skills.

Thank you for advice and nice to meet you as UMUC Alumni!

Is the DoD still not considering Offensive Security Certifications as 8570?
    kasgaromeo wrote: »

Last I saw they were not.

https://www.cbtnuggets.com/blog/2017/07/roadmap-to-success-dod-8570-and-8140-compliance/
  • McxRisleyMcxRisley Member Posts: 494 ■■■■■□□□□□
    kasgaromeo wrote: »

The DoD, as it stands now, will never accept offsec as 8570 because they do not have a continuing education cert. Offsec states on their own website that they will never make their certifications CE certs, thus no 8570 status.
    I'm not allowed to say what my previous occupation was, but let's just say it rhymes with architect.
    **** are not considered a valid method of studying and EC-Council will audit you if they suspect you of using them.

Skillset.com has some good Practice Questions that I would suggest you look at.