Just Landed My First I.T Job And In Security

Infosec85Infosec85 Member Posts: 192 ■■■□□□□□□□
So as the title states, I have just landed my first I.T job and within a Linux/Security role. A long time ago I asked on this forum would it be possible to get a job in security without experience and I was laughed at practically.

So my advice to anyone that has the same hopes I had and have now made possible, Don't always listen to what people tell you, more importantly don't let anyone ever tell you what you can or cannot achieve.

£35k starting salary with a multitude of benefits and shares etc.

Clients include a multitude of fortune 500 companies.

Anything is possible if you will it and want it enough.

Comments

• Bjcheung77Bjcheung77 Member Posts: 89 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats! Cool! That's great news! That's the right mindset for everyone to follow!
    Just wondering, mind me asking what qualifications or requirements did the job need?
    Did you have certain certifications or an associates/bachelors degree to meet them?
  • Infosec85Infosec85 Member Posts: 192 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I have a foundation degree, the certifications I have are in Linux, Networking and Security. (and not to a very high level either) The company were happy with what I held. The most important aspect was the interview, I was able to sell myself very well and answer any technical question they asked me.
  • scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Congrats to you!
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Cisco InfernoCisco Inferno Member Posts: 1,034 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Congrats! hows the job market over there?
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
  • boxerboy1168boxerboy1168 Member Posts: 395 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats!

What skills helped you acquire the position?
    Currently enrolling into WGU's IT - Security Program. Working on LPIC (1,2,3) and CCNA (and S) as long term goals and preparing for the Security+ and A+ as short term goals.
  • coffeeluvrcoffeeluvr Member Posts: 734 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Congratulations!!
    "Something feels funny, I must be thinking too hard. - Pooh"
  • 636-555-3226636-555-3226 Member Posts: 975 ■■■■■□□□□□
    congrats man! any questions, send a PM my way. always happy to help answer questions from someone just starting out in security. remember - there are no bad questions, we've all been there at some point in our lives!
  • tedjamestedjames Member Posts: 1,179 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Fantastic! Congratulations and good luck!
    Thanks everyone, And a special mention to Tedjames for his help in the past.
  • greg9891greg9891 Member Posts: 1,189 ■■■■■■■□□□
    That's encouraging! Excellent perseverance.icon_thumright.gif
    :
    Upcoming Certs: VCA-DCV 7.0, VCP-DCV 7.0, Oracle Database 1Z0-071, PMP, Server +, CCNP

Proverbs 6:6-11Go to the ant, you sluggard! Consider her ways and be wise, Which, having no captain, Overseer or ruler, Provides her supplies in the summer, And gathers her food in the harvest. How long will you slumber, O sluggard?
    When will you rise from your sleep? A little sleep, a little slumber, A little folding of the hands to sleep, So shall your poverty come on you like a prowler And your need like an armed man.
    Congrats! hows the job market over there?

There is a huge shortage here in people with Linux skills, therefore the money paid alone for Linux roles is stupidly high. Companies going into bidding wars etc.

I personally know one girl that got a job with just Linux Essentials that got her a starting salary of 42k sterling.
  • GeekyChickGeekyChick Member Posts: 323 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Well done! Congratulations on your new job!
  • FrawleyFrawley Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi,

What certs & where are you based? Tried to DM but not sure if It’s allowed here.

I ask because your based in Ireland using GBP, and I would be in the same situation.

Cheers.
  • TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congratulations! Thats a good achievement.

But if there is shortage why is the salary so low? Granted I don't know much about thw COL in your area but converting that to USD thats approximately $45K. You wouldn't touch a $45K Security job in US.
  • FrawleyFrawley Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    TheFORCE wrote: »
    Congratulations! Thats a good achievement.

But if there is shortage why is the salary so low? Granted I don't know much about thw COL in your area but converting that to USD thats approximately $45K. You wouldn't touch a $45K Security job in US.

the US has a very different market to the rest of the world, especially EU/UK. Even many software developers start below 40k USD here, internships can be below 20k USD. However in London locations such as London are more in line with US salaries.