Skype interview tips

--chris----chris-- Member Posts: 1,518 ■■■■■□□□□□
I recently applies for a security analyst position with a fortune 500 I have been following for a few years. Low and behold I breezed through the first two rounds of interviews, the second was today. I asked how long the next step will take and what happens then, to which I was told its usually "1-2 weeks (but maybe longs because of the holidays) and you will come into the office for a team interview."

Well I got a call back a little while ago, because everyone is out of the office this week and at home (around the US) they want to do a skype interview tomorrow(!). While this is great news, I have never done a skype interview nor have I ever used skype!

Any tips or pointers to pass along would be appreciated.

I am primarily concerned with finding a suitable place to do the interview at since my 5 year old is home sick (he's an animal) & I can't do it in my office/at work. I have a jeep, I can do it in there....as a last resort.

Comments

• Masked_KingMasked_King Banned Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    So you want us to aid and abet on your absconding from your primary position that should take priority and divert your resources to a clandestine event that you are deliberately participating in much to the chagrin of the rest of us still fighting the good fight and get jobs? How dare you.
  • Cisco InfernoCisco Inferno Member Posts: 1,034 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Do not wear pants.
    You want to be as comfortable as possible.

Also, Test your lighting!! Make sure your chosen spot is not too dark or bright with light coming in from a bad angle.
    If someone you know has a nice webcam, borrow it! You want to look good!
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
  • EANxEANx Member Posts: 1,077 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Image quality is definitely important, do a chat with a friend and see what they think about the location regarding contrast, lighting and audio. Last thing you want is for the spot to echo and it be too dark or light.
  • tedjamestedjames Member Posts: 1,179 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If you have kids or pets, make sure that someone is taking care to prevent them from showing up at your interview. Of course, the potential employer may like to see how you handle yourself in a crisis.
  • --chris----chris-- Member Posts: 1,518 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Lighting tested (its ok), quality confirmed with a friend last night. I was able to get my in-laws to stop in and wrangler the 5 year old and the dogs. I was primarily worried about where to interview from since I don't have an established home office (but if I land this job I will need one!).

@Masked_King, not absconding. This is what flex time is for right? Working 15 hours/day buys some flexibility to leave early sometimes.
  • tedjamestedjames Member Posts: 1,179 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Make sure you have a really cool poster on the wall behind you.
  • J_86J_86 Member Posts: 262 ■■□□□□□□□□
    So you want us to aid and abet on your absconding from your primary position that should take priority and divert your resources to a clandestine event that you are deliberately participating in much to the chagrin of the rest of us still fighting the good fight and get jobs? How dare you.

I bet you are fun at parties.
    icon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gif
  • devilbonesdevilbones Member Posts: 318 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Do not wear pants.
    You want to be as comfortable as possible.

Also, Test your lighting!! Make sure your chosen spot is not too dark or bright with light coming in from a bad angle.
    If someone you know has a nice webcam, borrow it! You want to look good!
    ^^ I cannot stress this enough. You will have a certain confidence and power knowing this. I never wear pants on a skype interview and would highly recommend this.
    devilbones wrote: »
    ^^ I cannot stress this enough. You will have a certain confidence and power knowing this. I never wear pants on a skype interview and would highly recommend this.

Either professional ***** or telling the truth, I can't tell....lol.

Interview went very well! Due to technical problems (they were in BFE on cell hotspots) on two of the participants sides, it was decided early on not to use video. So prep and worry for nothing, but I was ready.

This was the third and final interview, I spoke to HR yesterday and they said they expect to hear something next week but the holidays could delay things. Fingers crossed, I am ready to start a full fledged blue team position!
  • Cisco InfernoCisco Inferno Member Posts: 1,034 ■■■■■■□□□□
    --chris-- wrote: »
    Either professional ***** or telling the truth, I can't tell....lol.

Interview went very well! Due to technical problems (they were in BFE on cell hotspots) on two of the participants sides, it was decided early on not to use video. So prep and worry for nothing, but I was ready.

This was the third and final interview, I spoke to HR yesterday and they said they expect to hear something next week but the holidays could delay things. Fingers crossed, I am ready to start a full fledged blue team position!

Awesome I am glad that it worked out.
    About the pants... I think we're serious here.

I've had 3 skype/google hangouts interview in my life; not having pants is a moral booster. Devilbones was right about the confidence gain with no pants.
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
  • N7ValiantN7Valiant Member Posts: 363 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Just don't stand up!icon_cheers.gif
    OSCP
    MCSE: Core Infrastructure
    MCSA: Windows Server 2016
    CompTIA A+ | Network+ | Security+ CE
    icon_thumright.gif

Interviews went really well, I didn't feel like I was stumped by any technical question and during all three interviews there was a general positive vibe, good report, with all parties. I was told I "would probably" hear something last week (between xmas and new years).

I heard nothing so I sent the (internal) recruiter I am working with a very short email looking for an update on Friday. Nothing. Sent another one yesterday but have also heard nothing. I plan on calling next Monday (I have the direct # for the recruiter) to see if this is a dead opportunity.
  • EANxEANx Member Posts: 1,077 ■■■■■■■■□□
    --chris-- wrote: »
    I was told I "would probably" hear something last week (between xmas and new years).

I heard nothing so I sent the (internal) recruiter I am working with a very short email looking for an update on Friday. Nothing. Sent another one yesterday but have also heard nothing. I plan on calling next Monday (I have the direct # for the recruiter) to see if this is a dead opportunity.

Don't look needy. I would have waited until tomorrow to send the first email and I would have called instead of emailing. With calling, the ball's in your court regarding whether to leave a message if someone doesn't pick up so you have multiple chances at getting hold of them without looking needy (unless they're comparing incoming numbers to candidate numbers but that's unlikely).
  • GirlyGirlGirlyGirl Member Posts: 219
    EANx wrote: »
    Don't look needy. I would have waited until tomorrow to send the first email and I would have called instead of emailing. With calling, the ball's in your court regarding whether to leave a message if someone doesn't pick up so you have multiple chances at getting hold of them without looking needy (unless they're comparing incoming numbers to candidate numbers but that's unlikely).

Interviews went really well, I didn't feel like I was stumped by any technical question and during all three interviews there was a general positive vibe, good report, with all parties icon_thumright.gif I was told I "would probably <- they told that to the other 10 people that interviewed as well" hear something last week icon_rolleyes.gif(between xmas and new years).

I heard nothing icon_cool.gif so I sent the (internal) recruiter I am working with a very short email looking for an update icon_silent.gif on Friday. Nothing. Sent another one yesterdayicon_eek.gif but have also heard nothing. I plan on calling next Monday icon_scratch.gif (I have the direct # for the recruiter) to see if this is a dead opportunity. icon_confused.gif

I think the first impression has already been laid. That is how a recruiter wins. If they know you need them, they are happy. If the salary range is 30-45K, I am pretty sure if I was a recruiter I would start on the lowest of the low end for someone who seems desperate. I would pocket the rest, do this a few times then go to the nearest Mercedes dealership.

Salary negotiations would be pretty much in the space of next to impossible. Especially Especially if you have a similar candidate.
    Good points.

Although salary negotiations already occurred, they have a 3K window to work in which is 15% above where I am now (min).

I am not in dire need a new job, there will be other opportunities and I am only getting better/expanding my skill set as every day goes by. It 'irks me a bit that the recruiter said one thing then did another.

Recruiter just being a recruiter?
    Called the recruiter yesterday, left a VM. Got a call back about 3 hours later, she apologized and said the new year has been "crazy" for her. :/

They promoted someone internally into the position, I was told I was #2 if this person had not accepted the offer.

Good news (and silver lining), I brushed up on my interviewing skills. She said they are creating another one of these positions in 1-2 months. Since I have already done the interviewing portion and it is a short period of time they said they will call me when the position is posted to go through a "final interview" with everyone again. Nothing like having a 1-2 month head start, knowing exactly what they are looking for and what technologies they use, should only help me the second time around.