Apple Slowing Down Older iPhones

GirlyGirlGirlyGirl Member Posts: 219
I don't agree with it as a consumer. From a business standpoint it ultimately forces people to highly consider upgrading. Which brings in more money.

Thoughts..

Apple: Yes, we're slowing down older iPhones - Dec. 21, 2017

Comments

• mgeoffriaumgeoffriau Member Posts: 162 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Eh, I'm 50/50 on this. Doesn't a phone with no battery life "force" you to consider upgrading as well? And in either case, if you replace the battery, performance should be restored to (near) original levels.
    CISSP || A+ || Network+ || Security+ || Project+ || Linux+ || Healthcare IT Technician || ITIL Foundation v3 || CEH || CHFI
    M.S. Cybersecurity and Information Assurance, WGU
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I would question on how much it they actually slowed down the phones first. I used my iPhone 5s for about 5 years before upgrading to an iPhone 8 a couple months ago. The 5S ran just fine for the most part. Only reason I wanted to upgrade was for a better camera to have better pictures of my kids. I also did notice the phone was restarting on its own more frequently towards the end. Like at least once a week.

If slowing my iPhone 5S down 2% got me a couple extra years out of my phone and made it so didn't restart on it's own all the time. I thank Apple.

Really the 5S was not that slow though. I question how the average person treats their phone. Crazy people upgrading all the time imo.
  • fitzlopezfitzlopez Member Posts: 103 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I would question on how much it they actually slowed down the phones first. I used my iPhone 5s for about 5 years before upgrading to an iPhone 8 a couple months ago. The 5S ran just fine for the most part. Only reason I wanted to upgrade was for a better camera to have better pictures of my kids. I also did notice the phone was restarting on its own more frequently towards the end. Like at least once a week.

If slowing my iPhone 5S down 2% got me a couple extra years out of my phone and made it so didn't restart on it's own all the time. I thank Apple.

Really the 5S was not that slow though. I question how the average person treats their phone. Crazy people upgrading all the time imo.

I use an iPhone 6 plus and my wife has a 7 plus. We both have experienced lag on the usage of our phone, sometimes I'm typing and the characters appear much later. On some applications like emoji blitz the app freezes and won't let me continue in the middle of the game. This one time I had an app open wanted to multi task to another one then come back to the original app and the phone just hanged. None of those thing happened on my old iOS version. I mainly use an iPhone for security updates, but I think my usage experience has been degraded. We've pushed out company for usage of iOS because of the security updates but this slowdowns are a problem with 18 months to 2 year company renewal cycles. I'm not a happy camper.
  • chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    fitzlopez wrote: »
    I use an iPhone 6 plus and my wife has a 7 plus. We both have experienced lag on the usage of our phone, sometimes I'm typing and the characters appear much later. On some applications like emoji blitz the app freezes and won't let me continue in the middle of the game. This one time I had an app open wanted to multi task to another one then come back to the original app and the phone just hanged. None of those thing happened on my old iOS version. I mainly use an iPhone for security updates, but I think my usage experience has been degraded. We've pushed out company for usage of iOS because of the security updates but this slowdowns are a problem with 18 months to 2 year company renewal cycles. I'm not a happy camper.

My experience exactly!

mgeoffriau wrote: »
    Eh, I'm 50/50 on this. Doesn't a phone with no battery life "force" you to consider upgrading as well? And in either case, if you replace the battery, performance should be restored to (near) original levels.

I replaced my battery on my iPhone 6 and it was running perfectly new until the latest OS came out. I am a little pissed about it and I totally feel and now know that this is done deliberately. I first noticed this trend with Samsung when I had the note2 and 6 months before the note3 this "update" started to kill my battery and slow the overall functionality.

With this latest iOS update, there is absolutely no reason for lag when you open up messages or want to send messages. It is prevalent they target the areas of functionality where most users visit, (text messaging, browsing, photos). Every time I open up a text message or wish to reply there is several millisecond delay/lag. I don't care how complex or lavish this new iOS is, no way these micro lags should be happening. Its done on purpose and its annoying the F out of me. I can't wait for the skilled programmer to find the code where it shows apple forces lags/delays on older phones. I hope they get sued "again" one day lol

sorry for the little rant, its been boiling up inside of me.
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • gespensterngespenstern Member Posts: 1,243 ■■■■■■■■□□
    My last phone was on Windows Mobile 6.5. Never let me down and also had a detachable replaceable battery.
  • MitMMitM Member Posts: 622 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The latest iOS release is horrible. The world should have stuck with Blackberry :)