Options

Thoughts on this B.S degree?

Bash3Bash3 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
Good evening everyone

Some background:

I'm interested in Networking/Security/Systems/Info Management

I'm trying to get my foot in the door wih an entry level IT job and work on my degree as well.
I would also like to achieve certs eventually, especially interested in cisco CCENT/CCNA but maybe a comptia Cert to get started.

I don't want to sound picky but I'm not so interested in Programming/Development
or mathematics, though I would be interested in some scripting like bash python perl etc

https://www.farmingdale.edu/academics/curriculum/bs-security-systems.shtml
Opinions on this Security Systems degree? It includes some classes in computer forensic/security & networking (Cisco Net academy)

This seems like it may be a good fit, but would this help me with my future IT career? Or does it seem more oriented towards law?

Appreciate any insight, thank you

Comments

• Options
    MrSecurityGuyMrSecurityGuy Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi,

Degree is always valuable.
  • Options
    yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Seems decent. Looks like they have a splash of criminal justice and -- an optional dash of -- aviation security? That's something I haven't seen before, but okay. Too much law? No, only one law course and not even business law. Besides, information security comes down to laws and breaking them.

Usually these kinds of degrees have a computer science class or two and a discrete math course on the programming side. This degree has criminal justicey stuff instead. You're going to be missing out on computer hardware, UNIX, and a database course with this degree. Before you can secure it, you need to know what it is in my opinion. Might want to round the degree out with an A+ cert, which would touch on hardware and operating system stuff. Overall though, sure, go for it.
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP
  • Options
    Bjcheung77Bjcheung77 Member Posts: 89 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The security systems degree seems more like a Criminal Justice mashed into an IT degree, it would be great if you're doing Criminal Forensics or something.

There are other programs from them that may be more suitable for you, the two below would be my choice over Security Systems unless you are going into the Police Force as a Criminal Forensics expert.

Programming & Info System, Certs such as CCNA - https://www.farmingdale.edu/academics/curriculum/bs-computer-programming-and-information-systems.shtml

Software Technology, this shows in the works of obtaining ABET (Engineering accreditation) - https://www.farmingdale.edu/academics/curriculum/bs-software-technology.shtml
  • Options
    Masked_KingMasked_King Banned Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hi,

Degree is always valuable.

Have you adjusted this for inflation? I found college the biggest distraction since sliced bread. But then again, so was highschool, must have been just me.
  • Options
    yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Hi, Degree is always valuable.
    Have you adjusted this for inflation? I found college the biggest distraction since sliced bread. But then again, so was highschool, must have been just me.
    To add to this, I've seen Criminal justice make the list for least valuable degree before.
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP
  • Options
    Masked_KingMasked_King Banned Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    yoba222 wrote: »
    To add to this, I've seen Criminal justice make the list for least valuable degree before.

Without the ability to evaluate instructors, I wouldn't trust any institution, not a single one, and irrespective of what degrees. There is only so much you can study written material before the law of diminishing returns rears it's unproductive head. A teacher or instructor is supposed to add to your senses and thus learning but I found they are seldom if ever on the same page as their students and thus their effectiveness is almost nil or non-existent. In my world, no one learns (for long-term) and no one teaches (again, for long term). That is the world we live in. Remember, we put old people (those with most knowledge, "theoretically" and castigate them into dark nursing dungeons.
  • Options
    jibtechjibtech Member Posts: 424 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Bash3 wrote: »
    Good evening everyone

Some background:

I'm interested in Networking/Security/Systems/Info Management

I'm trying to get my foot in the door wih an entry level IT job and work on my degree as well.
    I would also like to achieve certs eventually, especially interested in cisco CCENT/CCNA but maybe a comptia Cert to get started.

I don't want to sound picky but I'm not so interested in Programming/Development
    or mathematics, though I would be interested in some scripting like bash python perl etc

https://www.farmingdale.edu/academics/curriculum/bs-security-systems.shtml
    Opinions on this Security Systems degree? It includes some classes in computer forensic/security & networking (Cisco Net academy)

This seems like it may be a good fit, but would this help me with my future IT career? Or does it seem more oriented towards law?

Appreciate any insight, thank you

I would reconsider the programming perspective. As you get into network security, and into pentesting, scripting is a pretty core skillset to have. You may not need to compile a new OS, but knowing your way around C++, Javascript and Python comes in handy.
  • Options
    YuckTheFankeesYuckTheFankees Member Posts: 1,281 ■■■■■□□□□□
    My thoughts on a bachelor degree: 1) The biggest thing to me is that some companies will only let individuals with bachelors apply, so that was my number one reason to get one. 2) Most companies don't care what your degree is in, its on their checklist because it shows you can commit to something and achieve it. 3) If you can afford it, try to get it done...

Best of luck!
  • Options
    LA2LA2 Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Looks interesting enough. The courses in transportation security seems different/interesting, but to achieve your goals I would definitely consider the Network concentration. If those courses are taught correctly you would have no problem obtaining CCNET/CCNA/Network+ certs.
  • Options
    Moon ChildMoon Child Member Posts: 197 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If your interested in programming/Development you would be better off with a Computer Science or Software Engineering degree. I worked as a PHP developer/ apprentice about 10 years ago and they preferred to hire computer science grads. Computer Science is more heavy into the mathematics and programming. There are computer science / software engineering programs that are heavy into mathematics and other computer science programs that don't require as much math.

Actually if you want get in programming a sure way to do it is get in a very good accredited Computer Science program at a State University, Purdue University has a very good Computer Science program. I know a lot grads who got great jobs after getting their Computer Science degree from Purdue.
    ... the world seems full of good men--even if there are monsters in it. - Bram Stoker, Dracula