cbt while going to a university

Ungadunga911Ungadunga911 Member Posts: 53 ■■□□□□□□□□
So the first AAB in got from a for profit school didnt teach me anything about networking, the second one at a junior college i earned kinda did, but not enough to where if i was at a walmart and needed to buy a router that i would end up asking the guy in that department which one is better. So now im at a univesity working towards the BS in computer networking and gave up on the cisco networking academy aspect of learning, i passed the first 4 classes but for some reason still have now idea how to do anything in networking, couldnt fix my own router at my house if i needed to. Now im signed up on CBT and the explanation of the concepts are a little better, but i still have my doubts after i watch all the videos if i would be any better off. I tried to copy the labs from cbt in packet tracer but the port number and stuff dont exactly match so i wasnt able to connect two routers together. Im sure i can finish the degree, but i have my doubts on how to learn anything hands on wise, i have access to lab on campus, but as much as i hate to say i half to be spoon fed the learning process when configuring routers, i cant do anything on my or or set up a basic lab unless someone shows me step by step. Im not a fan of computers or computer networking, i actually dread the classes i half to go to everyday. But in the army i hated the school aspect of training and didnt think the selected field was for, but once i was out in the field actually working, i loved it and did well so im trying to keep that mentality in mind when learning or trying to learn computer networking.

Comments

• TeKniquesTeKniques Member Posts: 1,262 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Not to sound too harsh, but have you considered that perhaps IT isn't for you? I'm not sure what you want people here to tell you, at some point you have to be willing to put in the time and get it done if that's what you want. What you really should do is reassess what your priorities are and come up with a plan you can stick to and finish.
  • QueueQueue Member Posts: 174 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If I wasn't a fan/interested in computers, and considered asking a retail associate questions about buying an at home router I would just throw in the towel. Do you have a back up plan? A lot of jobs with "good" careers that have upward mobility and increasing earnings require some sort of education and continuing education. The schools and programs present you material, but it's ultimately up to you to learn it.

If you're just here to vent...

You will eventually learn the material if you stick with it. Maybe start with network + type material.
  • NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    So the first AAB in got from a for profit school didnt teach me anything about networking, the second one at a junior college i earned kinda did, but not enough to where if i was at a walmart and needed to buy a router that i would end up asking the guy in that department which one is better. So now im at a univesity working towards the BS in computer networking and gave up on the cisco networking academy aspect of learning, i passed the first 4 classes but for some reason still have now idea how to do anything in networking, couldnt fix my own router at my house if i needed to. Now im signed up on CBT and the explanation of the concepts are a little better, but i still have my doubts after i watch all the videos if i would be any better off. I tried to copy the labs from cbt in packet tracer but the port number and stuff dont exactly match so i wasnt able to connect two routers together. Im sure i can finish the degree, but i have my doubts on how to learn anything hands on wise, i have access to lab on campus, but as much as i hate to say i half to be spoon fed the learning process when configuring routers, i cant do anything on my or or set up a basic lab unless someone shows me step by step. Im not a fan of computers or computer networking, i actually dread the classes i half to go to everyday. But in the army i hated the school aspect of training and didnt think the selected field was for, but once i was out in the field actually working, i loved it and did well so im trying to keep that mentality in mind when learning or trying to learn computer networking.

When you say CBT, do you mean CBT Nuggets?

Also, what is a "AAB"?
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • jibtechjibtech Member Posts: 424 ■■■■■□□□□□

Also, what is a "AAB"?

Usually means an Associates in Applied Business. Typically, an AAB is a career oriented associates degree.
  • PhalanxPhalanx Member Posts: 331 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I hate to say it, but you said it yourself; you dread learning about this chosen field and you dropped parts of your education with regards to it. That tells me a lot about your current state of mind on IT as a chosen field. I would suggest you sit and rethink your choices very carefully.
    Client & Security: Microsoft 365 Modern Desktop Administrator Associate | MCSE: Mobility
    Server & Networking: MCSA: Windows Server 2016 | MTA: Networking Fundamentals
    Data Privacy & Project/Service Management: PECB GDPR DPO/Practitioner | ITIL 2011: Foundation | CompTIA Project+
    Currently Studying: Microsoft 365 Enterprise Administrator Expert
  • yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    In my opinion, when going to college for IT type degrees, the learning focus is more around gaining the foundations, all the while working on written and spoken communication skills. It's not the most ideal learning environment for the highly-technical, hands-on stuff.

It sounds to me like you are more of the hands-on type for learning. This means that the traditional, book and lecture style environment of college has you at a disadvantage. I'd suggest you just get the degree done and move on. Learn the basics but don't stress about not learning the deep technical stuff to the level that you are striving for. That can come afterwards.

For now just soak up the foundations and get the degree. Did I mentioned written communication skills?

My best guess is CBT = Computer Based Training
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP