Options

Just offered a job at Dell

goat_boy67goat_boy67 Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
I was offered a job at Dell to be "lead key op" I would go through a 3 week training program and then be in charge of printer problems (1000 printers with another couple of people under me -- also entry level -- I think the fact that I have a BA in poli Sci and a couple of years experience as system support for my friends company while I went back to school studying network stuff might be why I'd be "lead Key-Op". (I'm 35 btw, career changer).

The job pays $18 an hour which is $3 more an hour than I make now, and probably better than I can get as entry network admin (if I can) or desktop support.

Do I want to be a Key-Op? hell if I know. Is working as lead Key-Op at Dell worth it? Dell certainly is a reputable company.

Is this a good way to "get my foot into the door" even if I'll be doing something I don't want to do for a time? (and I won't be getting experience in network administration).

Any thoughts? :)

Comments

• Options
    Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    It doesn't matter what your intro job is, so long as you get your foot in the door. You have to play in the mud for a while before you can stand on the sideline as the coach, so to speak :)

Good job icon_thumright.gif
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • Options
    PhilippatosPhilippatos Inactive Imported Users Posts: 45 ■■□□□□□□□□
    In this business it's always good to have "enterprise level" experience on your resume. ;)

Good luck in your new job!
  • Options
    KAEW 1KAEW 1 Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm very happy for you. I am in the situation of changing my career also. I like dell company . I want to work with them because the company has a ladder for new entry level to climb up. I would like to start my new career with them.

Good luck. :D
  • Options
    goat_boy67goat_boy67 Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks guys for the responses. I so much appreciate the input -- especially since I'm really struggling as to what to do, this "IT job hunt journey" is a relatively new experience. It's hard to know if by doing "printer stuff" I'll be limiting my experience -- which I will I suppose if network administration or something on those lines is my goal.

Maybe just the fact that it's Dell is a good enough resume booster for the future, or maybe I'll be promoted to something else, or can migrate to some other position within Dell? decisions decisions lol...
  • Options
    TrailerisfTrailerisf Member Posts: 455
    Jobs get posted internally before being posted to the public...

Don't sweat it, you can apply for other positions.
    On the road to Cisco. Will I hunt it, or will it hunt me?
  • Options
    emmajoyceemmajoyce Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats, Man im really happy for you. I will be looking in a few months. I'll be glad when i get to post something like that>> enjoy it and learn as much as you can. Merry Christmas all
    lungsucker.jpg
  • Options
    garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    goat_boy67 wrote:
    The job pays $18 an hour which is $3 more an hour than I make now, and probably better than I can get as entry network admin (if I can) or desktop support.

Do I want to be a Key-Op? hell if I know. Is working as lead Key-Op at Dell worth it? Dell certainly is a reputable company.

For me its about the money, I would manage a Waffle House if the money is right. This sounds like a no brainier decision. You will get experience and make more money than your current job. gl