Failed LX0-103 for the second time

joshuamurphy75joshuamurphy75 Member Posts: 162 ■■■□□□□□□□
Not sure how to approach this. I read the Sybex book, studied uCertify, and LabSim in detail, watched the WGU webinars, read the "learn Linux 101 from IBM, and played with vms for a few months. Took the test today, felt really confident in all but 5 questions, but ended up with a score of 460. No idea what I did wrong. It's kind of funny because I took the LX0-103 and LX0-104 in July and passed the LX0-104 with very little effort. Could y'all recommend another study resource while I'm working towards a third attempt?

Comments

• srocky26srocky26 Member Posts: 39 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Not sure how to approach this. I read the Sybex book, studied uCertify, and LabSim in detail, watched the WGU webinars, read the "learn Linux 101 from IBM, and played with vms for a few months. Took the test today, felt really confident in all but 5 questions, but ended up with a score of 460. No idea what I did wrong. It's kind of funny because I took the LX0-103 and LX0-104 in July and passed the LX0-104 with very little effort. Could y'all recommend another study resource while I'm working towards a third attempt?
    Linux Academy has some really good material on the subject. I used them for both exams.
  • joshuamurphy75joshuamurphy75 Member Posts: 162 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the advice. I signed up for Linux Academy, starting with the Linux Essentials videos, then moving towards Linux+ LPIC Level 1 Exam 1. I also printed the exam objectives and will be going through the man pages of every topic mentioned on them before retrying.
  • duta74duta74 Member Posts: 143 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Linuxacademy have two pairs of LPIC-1 Exam courses.
    This one is new for 103:
    https://linuxacademy.com/cp/modules/view/id/125
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    +1 for linuxacademy. That is the only course I used.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • tuxedoturtletuxedoturtle Member Posts: 19 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If you havent yet I would look at anki for flash cards and create some of your own. This helped me when I passed the 103. I also used linuxacadamy some with cbtnuggets and plurlsight. Linux acadamy is really good for labs and hands on stuff so I think you will be in a good spot after going through that. I failed my first attempt with a 460 and passed my second attempt with like a 520 or something. I thought it was a rough test. On your exam results is there any specific area that you are having issues in? Do you use the prep engine in uCertify?
  • hal9k2hal9k2 Member Posts: 77 ■■■□□□□□□□
    This ebook got all info you need: CompTIA Linux + / LPIC-1 Cert Guide by Ross Brunson and Sean Walberg

Also check my post about materials I used to pass both exams: http://www.techexams.net/forums/linux/123731-acquired-comptia-linux.html
    I've been going through the Linux Academy stuff. I'm finishing the Linux Essentials stuff now, and getting ready to start the Linux+/LPIC-1 Exam 101 course. I'd have to say it's pretty good, but seems a little slow because of all the stuff I already learned from the other vendors. I'll post here what happens once I retest.
  • NuclearBeavisNuclearBeavis Member Posts: 79 ■■□□□□□□□□
  • mike44nycmike44nyc Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    yeah i started first with comptia cloud essentials, then linux essentials and aws essentials, and now im studying for both linux exams and aws throught linuxacademy.com i tried with others and i sign up with acloud guru, but linux academy i think its much better lectures, plus much better labs than other schools. hopefully i will be able to finish all cloud courses and ofcourse pass all the exams
    Retesting this morning. I'll let y'all know how it goes.
  • xxxkaliboyxxxxxxkaliboyxxx Member Posts: 466
    Retesting this morning. I'll let y'all know how it goes.

Good luck m8, you got this.
    Studying: GPEN
    Reading
    : SANS SEC560
    Upcoming Exam: GPEN
    Thanks, passed it this time. 570 points.
  • ThePawofRizzoThePawofRizzo Member Posts: 389 ■■■■□□□□□□
  • mathew2017mathew2017 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks, passed it this time. 570 points.
    Congrats.

Do you mind if you give me a brief about your exam?
    mathew2017 wrote: »
    Congrats.

Do you mind if you give me a brief about your exam?

It's kind of hard to say. All three times, the tests were different. It was a mix of multiple choice and fill in the blanks. I think the objectives listed on the CompTIA website, or here Exam 101 Objectives | Linux Professional Institute are pretty accurate. You do need to learn the switches or options for the commands, and be pretty comfortable with pipes and redirects, as well as escaping special characters, but you are probably safe just learning just the most common ones.
    I'd say to try to start out broad. Go through your course from whatever vendor you have. Then spend some time going through the man pages for each topic on the list, and play with them on a VM for a while. Questions seem to be mostly Debian or RedHat focused. So I would recommend practicing mostly on those two distros. As you have time, start going deeper in the studying learning more options for the commands. Linux Academy helped a lot.