i passed cissp exam today

mritorto2mritorto2 Member Posts: 61 ■■■□□□□□□□
i slayed the beast today. I have been studying over a year . but then focused really hard last 4 months avg 8 to 12 hrs a week studying. I orginally was going to take it last year but I decided to take the sscp exam first.

To prepare for the exam i read the following books

1. cissp dummies
2. sybex
3. 11th hour
4. cissp study guide - eric conrad
5. exam cram

I also seen these videos

1. cybrary
2. udemy class
4. cissp videos on lyndacom , linkedlearning- free trial

audio books

simple cissp from audbile - free trial
simple cissp questions audible free trial

i subscribed to skillset.com i also converted their youtube videos to mp3 so I can listen to them alll the time

I also download sharon harris mp3 files - very helpful

I found cybrary videos and mp3 files very helpful

as far as practice exam i did sybex and transcender from cybrary and exam cram online questions

It was a very hard test to study for since I found the materal boring. None of the books could keep my attention that is why I stuck with audio books and training videos.

I also made flash cards using quizlet.com

I had to take all 150 questions and to be honest none of the practice questions helped really. I just kepted studying.

I think the best advice I can give is to take the security + and sscp first. watch the cybray videos first then read each book once then concentrate on one chapter at a time. The take exams to find out your weaknesses and and make flash cards to focus on them.

The only book worth while was the sybex book and the simple cissp audio books. The sharon harris book was way too long for me to even try it.

My background is 17 years of IT experience including system & network administration. I got tired of being on call and working long weekends I am focusing on information security & complinace now .

My cets include ccna, security + , sscp, I also had msce and cna in the past.

My next goal is finish up my masters degree in info technology with a cyber security concentration at flordia tech online.

I will eventually get the CEH cause I think be interesting to get. I may go for CISM and CCSP too.

But first my master degree. I am so happy I passed.

Comments

• jibtechjibtech Member Posts: 424 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Congratulations!
  • sameojsameoj Member Posts: 366 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • mattster79mattster79 Member Posts: 135 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Well done you. Awesome achievement passing this exam! 👍
    CISSP
    CISM
  • averageguy72averageguy72 Member Posts: 323 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats!
    CISSP / CCSP / CCSK / CRISC / CISM / CISA / CASP / Security+ / Network+ / A+ / CEH / eNDP / AWS Certified Advanced Networking - Specialty / AWS Certified Security - Specialty / AWS Certified DevOps Engineer - Professional / AWS Certified Solutions Architect - Professional / AWS Certified SysOps Administrator - Associate / AWS Certified Solutions Architect - Associate / AWS Certified Developer - Associate / AWS Cloud Practitioner
  • clconrad1clconrad1 Member Posts: 26 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats to you! I failed it. icon_sad.gif Like you I did not feel like the test questions helped at all. The test was way different than I expected and I was studying all wrong. I have a new plan of action now though!
  • ThePawofRizzoThePawofRizzo Member Posts: 389 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats. Well done.

I'm considering the SSCP for this Summer as it appears I won't have any coursework for my degree I can take over that semester. What did you use that helped you prepare for SSCP? I'm a server administrator, so I dunno that I would pursue CISSP in the near future, but the SSCP seems a good fit.
  • thm3004thm3004 Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    The exam is 150 or 250 questions?
    I'm confused!
  • mattster79mattster79 Member Posts: 135 ■■□□□□□□□□
    thm3004 wrote: »
    The exam is 150 or 250 questions?
    I'm confused!

Someone correct if I’m wrong, but I think it’s anywhere between 100 and 150. The old format used to be 250.
    CISSP
    CISM
  • thm3004thm3004 Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    thansk mattster79
    what about time? still 6 hours or decreased ?
  • blackberrycubedblackberrycubed Member Posts: 24 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • cbkihongcbkihong Member Posts: 52 ■□□□□□□□□□
    thm3004 wrote: »
    thansk mattster79
    what about time? still 6 hours or decreased ?

Since Dec 18 2017, the max exam time is 3 hours (unless the exam taken is a non English exam, in which case, that is not CAT exam).
  • mritorto2mritorto2 Member Posts: 61 ■■■□□□□□□□
    should I get CEH or CCSP next or CISM next or all three
  • RinzlerRinzler Member Posts: 34 ■■■□□□□□□□
    mritorto2 wrote: »
    ...I got tired of being on call and working long weekends...

I was in the same situation. Having a horrible team lead was the icing on the cake...

Now, I have a renewed focus since getting into the Information Security/Assurance field.

Congrats on passing CISSP...

icon_cheers.gif