Importance of Serial Interfaces?

pujan96pujan96 Member Posts: 121 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hey All,

Just wanted to share a question I had in my mind for quiet some time. Are serial interfaces still important today?

The ccna still covers them along with the ccnp, on topics like authentication and encapsulation.

Has anyone seen them in production today? Ive been in IT for 18 months and in a networking role for 6 months for an international business and have yet to come across them.

Any ideas?

Happy New years guys!
[X] CCNA R&S

[X] CCNP Route 300-101
[  ] CCNP Switch 300-115
[  ] CCNP T-Shoot 300-135

[  ]  NPDESI 300-550

[  ] CCIE R&S Written
[  ] CCIE R&S LAB

Comments

• PC509PC509 Member Posts: 804 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Frame Relay was also included for a while after many considered it deprecated.

I haven't seen it in use for a while or heard of it's use, but I'm sure there are some networks where it would be.
  • TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Just for the console cable, I still use them, but I do have the new USB interface cables as well. I use both. usually when configuring switches at my desk I'll used a serial port console cable, but if out out in the field I'll use a USB console cable.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • cshkurucshkuru Member Posts: 246 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Maybe it depends on where you are working, but serial interfaces are very common. They are used to to enable a router to act as a terminal server. At my last job I had quite a few boxes configured that way. They also are pretty commonly used at demarc points where the T-1/3/ whatever line is connected to the customer equipment. Even the T1/E1 cards are really serial interfaces with a built in CSU/DSU. Finally if you are working on something like Sonet that is all serial.
  • EANxEANx Member Posts: 1,077 ■■■■■■■■□□
    pujan96 wrote: »
    Are serial interfaces still important today?

The ccna still covers them along with the ccnp, on topics like authentication and encapsulation.

Has anyone seen them in production today? Ive been in IT for 18 months and in a networking role for 6 months for an international business and have yet to come across them.

I'm guessing that your international support experience is mostly countries that have a modern infrastructure? You can find a lot of serial connectivity in the 3rd world.