Options

Confused about which books to use

CyberCop123CyberCop123 Member Posts: 338 ■■■■□□□□□□
Hi everyone,

I know this will vary a lot from person-to-person, but I'm preparing to start studying for CISSP fairly soon - after I finish OSCP.

I'm looking at picking one main book to use and torn between:

Shon Harris book

https://www.amazon.co.uk/CISSP-All-One-Guide-Seventh/dp/0071849270/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1514968622&sr=8-1&keywords=shon+harris+cissp

The book is 1456 pages which puts me off slightly as it just seems so so long and heavy. I know the CISSP is detailed and difficult, with tons of content, but it just seems a bit over-the-top. Not sure if that's a fair opinion, but I just want to make my studying more manageable and easier to digest.

Eric Conrad Book (the full and long version)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/CISSP-Study-Guide-Eric-Conrad/dp/0128024372/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1514968769&sr=1-1&keywords=eric+conrad+cissp

This also gets tons of good reviews on here and I've read quite a few posts saying it provided everything needed.

===========================================================================

Finally, I'm probably going to get the Eric Conrad 11th Hour book as a second book to help solidify some of the content, and also carry around with me to work, or just if I'm out and about. Good for referencing, and I've heard it's a great and brief overview of lots of the main areas.

Any thoughts on the two main books I've mentioned? I know it's all very subjective. My instincts are telling me to go for the Eric Conrad book.

Thanks everyone,
Cybercop
My Aims
2017: OSCP -
COMPLETED
2018: CISSP -
COMPLETED
2019: GIAC GNFA - Advanced Network Forensics & Threat Hunting -
COMPLETED
           GIAC GREM - Reverse Engineering of Malware -
COMPLETED

2021: CCSP
2022: OSWE (hopefully)

Comments

• Options
    SteveLavoieSteveLavoie Member Posts: 1,133 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I would recommend you to read the ISC2 Official CISSP Guide from Sybex and use Eric Conrad 11th hour as your 3rd book (the one you use on the last days before your exam), because 11th hour book is the same content as the full book but abreviated.

That's what I used to pass.
  • Options
    mattster79mattster79 Member Posts: 135 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I used the Shon Harris book and the sunflower pdf. No other reading material. I’m not saying the AIO was the right book to use but it worked for me.

Personally, I would be wary of using too many resources.
    CISSP
    CISM
  • Options
    CyberCop123CyberCop123 Member Posts: 338 ■■■■□□□□□□
    mattster79 wrote: »
    Personally, I would be wary of using too many resources.

I really am cautious of this.

Reading some people's posts on here is tiring when they list about 6 books, and videos, and tests, and mp3s they used.

I've decided to stick to this:

1) Sybex Official CISSP book - I liked the look of the layout slightly better than Shon Harris AIO

2) Eric Conrad 11th Hour book as a carry around, and reference book, and something to continue referring to throughout the whole process

I also bought:

1) Sybex official tests book which has 1300 questions.

Finally, I am using the Kelly Handerhan videos/mp3s and will do online questions.

Thanks for your input and advice everyone
    My Aims
    2017: OSCP -
    COMPLETED
    2018: CISSP -
    COMPLETED
    2019: GIAC GNFA - Advanced Network Forensics & Threat Hunting -
    COMPLETED
               GIAC GREM - Reverse Engineering of Malware -
    COMPLETED

2021: CCSP
    2022: OSWE (hopefully)
  • Options
    mattster79mattster79 Member Posts: 135 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I think you’ve made a good choice. Good luck with your studies. Let us know when you’ve got the exam scheduled 👍
    CISSP
    CISM