Using FEDVTE for CISSP CPE

tunerXtunerX Member Posts: 447 ■■■□□□□□□□
This is my first time trying to get CPE. I see people have said you can use FEDVTE for CPE requirements but how do you translate each course to a value of CPE?

Is it per hour or per course?

The fedvte website doesn't list a CPE value.

Comments

• mbarrettmbarrett Member Posts: 397 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If you are entering courses without CPE, just select the appropriate category (in the case of VTE, it would probably be self-study, computer-based training) and just give the information they ask for the VTE courses all list the number of hours so you can use that as a starting point.
  • mjb2016mjb2016 Member Posts: 11 ■■□□□□□□□□
    FedVTE indicates how many hours it would take to finish each course listed. One hour is equal to 1 CPE credit.
  • shochanshochan Member Posts: 1,004 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Thanks for clarifying. I am watching the CEH videos on there for CEUs for my Security+ (over 150 videos and 31hrs of CEUs). That should renew me for another 3yrs after I finish.
    CompTIA A+, Network+, i-Net+, MCP 70-210, CNA v5, Server+, Security+, Cloud+, CySA+, ISC² CC, ISC² SSCP
  • tunerXtunerX Member Posts: 447 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks mjb2016. Now I can build my course list. I didn't want to do 120 hours of VTE to find out I only get 20 CPE.
  • SteveLavoieSteveLavoie Member Posts: 1,133 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Don't forget to keep track of the course viewed, if there are Certificate of Completion get them, in case you are audited.
    mjb2016 wrote: »
    FedVTE indicates how many hours it would take to finish each course listed. One hour is equal to 1 CPE credit.

Is that shown somewhere? As far as I know, one hour is just one hour of your time.
    So on fedvte they have the course "(ISC)2 (TM) CISSP (R) Prep 2015 - 25 Hours"

What do you think this would be considered? Would it be group A or group B if I take the course after I have already gotten my CISSP. I plan on submitting as group A and then filling out the other group A CPEs with the ISSAP courses for 15 CPEs.

I also have cisco learning... digital learning CCNP ROUTE and CCNP SWITCH courses for group B as general CPE totalling 80 CPEs.
  • mjb2016mjb2016 Member Posts: 11 ■■□□□□□□□□
    mbarrett wrote: »
    Is that shown somewhere? As far as I know, one hour is just one hour of your time.
    Yes it is. Refer to (ISC)2 CPE guidelines > https://downloads.isc2.org/certifications/cpe-guidelines.pdf

"Completing self-study, and attending Computer-Based Training (CBT), webcasts, andpodcasts - Group A or B creditMembers can earn one CPE credit per hour for completing a self-study program, attending computer-basedtraining, or viewing a Web Cast or Pod Cast. For example, members can claim 1 CPE hour forattending one hour of online training course, or watching a webcast or podcast. However, (ISC)2 willnot allow members to submit more than the maximum number of CPEs recommended by the self-studyprovider."
    mjb2016 wrote: »
    Yes it is. Refer to (ISC)2 CPE guidelines > https://downloads.isc2.org/certifications/cpe-guidelines.pdf

"Completing self-study, and attending Computer-Based Training (CBT), webcasts, andpodcasts - Group A or B creditMembers can earn one CPE credit per hour for completing a self-study program, attending computer-basedtraining, or viewing a Web Cast or Pod Cast. For example, members can claim 1 CPE hour forattending one hour of online training course, or watching a webcast or podcast. However, (ISC)2 willnot allow members to submit more than the maximum number of CPEs recommended by the self-studyprovider."

Thanks for the link. When I completed my FedVTE training it was just as you said. 1 hour is one CPE.

It is all free and it is all fairly easy to complete. I will use FedVTE for my next two years of CPE.
    There is a difference between "FedVTE indicates how many hours it would take" and "members can claim 1 CPE hour for attending one hour of online training course", if it takes you 15 minutes to skim through something being advertised as 1 hour's worth of training you shouldn't claim a CPE hour unless you spend a full hour in training, based on those guidelines.