Avoid studying during the first few days/weeks of a new job?

dontstopdontstop Member Posts: 579 ■■■■□□□□□□
Just started a new job and moved cities, my motivation to study is low. Is this normal? Should I just focus on the new job for the first few weeks until I settle?

Comments

• Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    It's a few weeks, focus on your new job, probably a million new things to learn already. They'll be less impressed if you pass a new cert in 3 weeks but aren't picking up anything at the job.
  • EANxEANx Member Posts: 1,077 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Which one puts money in your bank account? Focus on that one in the near-term.
  • ITSec14ITSec14 Member Posts: 398 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hard to have motivation to study when you're drinking from the fire hose at the new job. I'm on my third month at my new job and I'm still taking in a lot of info.
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    Studying 25-Dec-mid jan is always hard anyway
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

• dontstopdontstop Member Posts: 579 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Yeah I think I'm going to follow the advice in this thread and just cool my jets for now. Thanks everyone :)
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I took a break on my MCSE for the first few months when I switched jobs last year and it helped me focus in the short-term then I could adjust back to the long-term after I got more familiar with the new job. ;)
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • SteveLavoieSteveLavoie Member Posts: 1,133 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Often, when on new mandate, I put my study on pause, however I am still studying at night for relevant technology to show my interest and get better. Often this targeted study will eventually lead me to a certs or just as additionnal knowledge. Not everything you know need to be certified :)
  • JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    Agree with others, for now focus on the new job. I however, am not that fortunate. I'm moving over to our security architecture team in the next few weeks, and they are wanting me to deal with cloud sec architecture, starting with Amazon and then Azure. So I'm actually starting on the AWS certs now to get ramped up. Thankfully I've been playing around in AWS the past year so it's not 100% new to me.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • SteveLavoieSteveLavoie Member Posts: 1,133 ■■■■■■■■■□
    New challenge is always fortunate :) That's what drive me and many of us here. Perhaps I will permit you to get some cloud training in AWS or Azure...
  • boxerboy1168boxerboy1168 Member Posts: 395 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I like Jocko Willink's mentality.

DIG IN!
    Currently enrolling into WGU's IT - Security Program. Working on LPIC (1,2,3) and CCNA (and S) as long term goals and preparing for the Security+ and A+ as short term goals.