Login to the local machine

phatrikphatrik Member Posts: 71 ■■□□□□□□□□
On Windows Server 2003 and 2008 I could always use 'local\username' or '.\username' and login to the local machine but on Windows Server 2016 it seems like I never could. Whenever I asked someone with more experience then myself he always insisted I had to use 'machine_name\username' but never addressed the bigger issue, i.e.: clarified this was a change that happened since 2012 or 2016 server. I tried finding some information online about some kind of change which would explain this behavior but I wasn't able to find anything, which makes me really curious and hence why I'm asking here.Does anyone know anything about this? The login attempt was over RDP. TIA!
2018 goals: Security+, CCNA CyberOps (Cohort #6), eJPT, CCNA R&S 2019 goals: RHCE ????, OSCP || CISSP

Comments

• poolmanjimpoolmanjim Member Posts: 285 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I can't find any Server 2008 servers in any of my environments to test on but the way this works is when you put the . (dot) in it references the local computer. When you are RDPing in, the local computer is the computer you are RDPing from. I have seen this on my Server 2012 R2 and Server 2016 servers for sure. I'm pretty sure Server 2008 works similarly.
    2019 Goals: Security+
    2020 Goals: 70-744, Azure
    Completed: MCSA 2012 (01/2016), MCSE: Cloud Platform and Infrastructure (07/2017), MCSA 2017 (09/2017)
    Future Goals: CISSP, CCENT
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    The local security policy is probably set to deny network and/or remote desktop logons to "Local Account and member of Administrators group" security identifier.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • jpanda206jpanda206 Member Posts: 23 ■■□□□□□□□□
    If you are using RDP to go to "remotecomputer" from "localcomputer" a "./username" will put in "localcomputer/username".

If you are using a virtual console(HyperV/VMWare/Citrix) and go to "remotecomputer" from "localcomputer" a "./username" will put in "remotecomputer/username" because that device thinks you are local to it.