Options

CCNA Security vs CISSP Path

mizterkewlmizterkewl Member Posts: 122 ■■■■□□□□□□
I have been working on trying to get more certs to help lead me into a role in Security. I understand that each path depends on what my interest are but I guess I'm more asking which path might get me more noticed/landing a job once it's completed. I'm considering CCENT --> CCNA Security or CSA+ --> CISSP.

Comments

• Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Do you setup network equipment? If not I would do the CSA+ > CISSP route. But that would also depend if you have the required experience for the CISSP
  • Options
    mbarrettmbarrett Member Posts: 397 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If you're just starting out, the CCNA will serve you better. The CISSP is more management-oriented and targeted toward experienced security professionals.
  • Options
    yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    According to Cisco:
    The CCNA Security validates associate-level knowledge and skills required to secure Cisco networks. With a CCNA Security certification, a network professional demonstrates the skills required to develop a security infrastructure, recognize threats and vulnerabilities to networks, and mitigate security threats.
    https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/training-events/training-certifications/certifications/associate/ccna-security.html

According to ISC2:
    The CISSP . . . way to demonstrate your knowledge, advance your career and become a member of a community of cybersecurity leaders. It shows you have all it takes to design, engineer, implement and run an information security program.
    https://www.isc2.org/Certifications/CISSP

Do you work with Cisco networks? Do you design or run an infosec program? That's what these two certs aim at. I think starting with the CCENT is a great idea and at the end of that you'll know if more CCNA is a good idea or not.

Personally, I learned that CCNA R&S is as far as I need to go in learning Cisco. I happen to be going after CISSP in 2019; that will be my 4 year experience point having worked in security.
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP