Options

Cloud Question

coldbugcoldbug Member Posts: 189
Ahhh..so frustrated!!! Got this question wrong. Have to relearn all the Cloud Computing today!

An IT director is looking to reduce the footprint of their company’s server environment. They have
decided to move several internally developed software applications to an alternate environment,
supported by an external company. Which of the following BEST describes this arrangement?

A.
Infrastructure as a Service
B.
Storage as a Service
C.
Platform as a Service
D.
Software as a Service
"If you want to kick the tiger in his ass, you'd better have a plan for dealing with his teeth."

Comments

• Options
    TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Question is not phrased clearly, it's a bit confusing. Not sure if it is done on purpose or not.

I'd go with C - Platform as a Service. Since they have decided to reduce the server foot print(this includes infrastructure), Since the internally developed software will be hosted in the cloud, this include storage as a service also. That leaves as with C and D. Platform as a service offers infras, storage, Operating system. In this case, the company outsources all the technical operational resources and can focus on the software development. Software as a service isn't a good answer as it will mean that they are even outsourcing their development work. When thinking of Software as a Service think cloud apps like Concur or Salesforce, you are using the application but are not responsible for any of operational support for that application.

What did you select as the answer?
  • Options
    I chose A . Saw the word "software" and happily clicked it....but Wrong..lol
    "If you want to kick the tiger in his ass, you'd better have a plan for dealing with his teeth."
  • Options
    TechnicalJayTechnicalJay Member Posts: 219 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I would go with C as well since it's dealing with software applications.
  • Options
    TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    PaaS by definition lets a customer develop, run, and manage applications without worrying about complexities of infrastructure.
  • Options
    poolmanjimpoolmanjim Member Posts: 285 ■■■□□□□□□□
    IaaS is more like cloud servers. Think Azure VMs.

SaaS and PaaS always confuse me but I believe the difference is SaaS is more about you buying a prebuilt cloud app and using it where PaaS is more about developing a cloud-based application.

"several internally developed software applications" leads me towards PaaS.
    2019 Goals: Security+
    2020 Goals: 70-744, Azure
    Completed: MCSA 2012 (01/2016), MCSE: Cloud Platform and Infrastructure (07/2017), MCSA 2017 (09/2017)
    Future Goals: CISSP, CCENT
  • Options
    dirtyharrydirtyharry Member Posts: 72 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I thought it could be IaaS OR PaaS. If it's an internally developed app, it's possible the stack it runs on also needs to be ported to the cloud (IaaS). It's also possible that a PaaS provider has the stack required for the app (like Heroku with runtimes or Amazon EB with app repos).

SaaS is an app like salesforce or O365.

Storage as a service is an addition to IaaS or PaaS. It's not enough to migrate an entire app.
  • Options
    coldbug wrote: »
    I chose A . Saw the word "software" and happily clicked it....but Wrong..lol

I meant D