Options

Passed the ICND 1 today! (+ my story)

iamgregtiamgregt Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
Passed on my first try with a 856/1000 (835 needed). My girlfriend suggested I make a post on here since she knows I've been on this forum constantly for the past couple of weeks leading up to the exam.

Study Materials:
Official Cert Guide - Wendell Odom + Included Practice Exams
CBT Nuggets Videos

I give the exam a 7.9 out of 10 difficulty rating

Just a bit of background on my end;

I'm 25 with ZERO years of genuine networking experience. I've gotten into some recent trouble with the law (because mary jane isnt legal here yet) and decided to take my life seriously with a career path. Long story short.. I got arrested in the beginning of November and when the cops raided our place. My girlfriend's dad had ordered her the CompTIA A+ all-in-one book by Mike Meyers. She never opened the box it was shipped in..but of course the cops did. So after I get out of jail and we come back to the apartment that they completely trashed during the raid, and as my girl is crying I had a moment of revelation and saw what path I was going down and saw how it was affecting those I cared about (mom, dad, gf, brothers). Even though I am really a good guy, I was throwing my life away. Anyways..so in that moment while she's crying, I see this big a** book with an A+ on it and decided to pick it up. I did some research on what would be the best career route that I would have a shot at while having a criminal record and most people pointed to IT. So over the span of 2.5 weeks I read the entire book by Mike Meyers and passed both exams for my A+. Didn't have any look getting a job..I can't blame anyone else other than myself and lack of experience on the job and with interviews. So I decided to get a little more serious and try out Cisco. To say the least, I am more than happy with my deeper understanding of what goes on under the hood. What I'm even happier about is how I can express what I know in a more convincing manner to an employer. If you have 0 experience in networking, please know your stuff. I mean REALLY know it..I hate the thought of wasting money but I would've definitely retook it had I not passed. All of that to say, never believe someone when they say long story short, and go over those exam topics until you feel like you have them perfected. Peace.

Comments

• Options
    nisti2nisti2 Member Posts: 503 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congratulations! Thanks for sharing!
    2020 Year goals:
    Already passed: Oracle Cloud, AZ-900
    Taking AZ-104 in December.

"Certs... is all about IT certs!"
  • Options
    gespensterngespenstern Member Posts: 1,243 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congratz! Good luck to you on this path and your GF.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Conragts! Thanks for sharing. It's amazing what some motivation and hard work can get you in this life. Just remember getting that first job to take a chance on you will be the hard part. Don't give up!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    byron66byron66 Member Posts: 169 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats! Very interesting story.
    CCNA   A+   N+  Sec+
  • Options
    hunterthuntert Banned Posts: 231
  • Options
    EANxEANx Member Posts: 1,077 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Good on ya. People make mistakes, it's what you do after that defines you.
  • Options
    greg9891greg9891 Member Posts: 1,189 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Congrats! gatta keep pushing,great come back story!
    :
    Upcoming Certs: VCA-DCV 7.0, VCP-DCV 7.0, Oracle Database 1Z0-071, PMP, Server +, CCNP

Proverbs 6:6-11Go to the ant, you sluggard! Consider her ways and be wise, Which, having no captain, Overseer or ruler, Provides her supplies in the summer, And gathers her food in the harvest. How long will you slumber, O sluggard?
    When will you rise from your sleep? A little sleep, a little slumber, A little folding of the hands to sleep, So shall your poverty come on you like a prowler And your need like an armed man.
  • Options
    cruwlcruwl Member Posts: 341 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass. As someone who went through something similar understand that you will have to work harder and smarter then most people. Your integrity and honesty will be among your best attributes, remember that and act on that accordingly. Get use to saying out loud what you did, why, and what you learned from the experience(for job interviews). Be upfront and honest.

As for job prospects, It will get easier the further in time its been since the incident. maybe look for smaller shops/internal IT positions even if its part time. The certs will help, but ultimately you have to sell your self in the interviews. Good Luck, you've started down a great path keep at it.
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats!! :)

Great story and best of luck on the next certs and your journey. A great story
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    DooofordDoooford Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    To go from being arrested to CCNA in less than a year is impressive!
    It's the opposite of breaking bad, criminal mastermind becomes a network engineer and destroys the competition icon_smile.gif
  • Options
    sai sukanyasai sukanya Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I also passed the examination on jan 22. But i had question..
    In how many days i can get my printed certificate?? i am from india...
  • Options
    shochanshochan Member Posts: 1,004 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Hopefully you didn't get a felony, sounds like a misdemeanor...if you did get a felony or misdemeanor, you should try to get them expunged...Otherwise, start applying everywhere for a helpdesk job & work your way up the IT ladder.
    CompTIA A+, Network+, i-Net+, MCP 70-210, CNA v5, Server+, Security+, Cloud+, CySA+, ISC² CC, ISC² SSCP
  • Options
    crowtycrowty Registered Users Posts: 3 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congratulations my friend. You're such an inspiration!
  • Options
    D20D20 Member Posts: 124 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats!
    Certifications: A+ Sec+ isc(2) CC Google Cybersecurity Certification 2024 Goals: Pass the Network+ Exam