Renewing CCNP

theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
A few questions.

1. My CCNP: R&S expiration date is January 31, 2018. Do I need to pass before the 31st or can I pass on the 31st?

2. Cisco says if you fail its 5 days starting the next day. Can you retake on day 5 or do you wait until day 6? My current plan is to take TSHOOT as that was my favorite exam (I barely scraped by the old ROUTE exam and had a broken Sim on SWITCH which reduced my score - thankfully not enough to fail), but give myself enough time (worst case scenario) to have the option to retake it rather than having to try a different exam such as SWITCH.

3. Is the new TSHOOT pretty much the same exam, just with some new content, as the old TSHOOT?

4. Any good place for practice tickets (Legit NOT d**ps) that I can run on real equipment? I found some for GNS3, but because GNS3 doesn't support actual switches, they use Etherswitch modules in routers. Reworking the configs to work on actual switches was not a practical use of time.
R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
Security: CCNA [ ]
Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]

Comments

• HappyBearITHappyBearIT Member Posts: 55 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Cisco Learning Labs TSHOOT labs and the Boson Pre-Test for TSHOOT are both very good products to get in testing mode for TSHOOT. At $100 give or take a discount, you can't really go wrong with either one of these.
    CISSP|CCNP R&S|CCNA Security|CCNA Wireless|ITIL Foundations|VMware vSphere 6.5 Foundations|BS-Computer Science|MBA|
    Pursuing: Linux+|VCP-DCV|PCAP|
  • negru_tudornegru_tudor Member Posts: 473 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Cisco Learning Labs TSHOOT labs and the Boson Pre-Test for TSHOOT are both very good products to get in testing mode for TSHOOT. At $100 give or take a discount, you can't really go wrong with either one of these.

Are the learning labs really worth it? Might grab it as well if it's good value for the money..
    2017-2018 goals:
    [X] CIPTV2 300-075
    [ ] SIP School SSCA
    [X] CCNP Switch 300-115 [X] CCNP Route 300-101 [X] CCNP Tshoot 300-135
    [ ] LPIC1-101 [ ] LPIC1-102 (wishful thinking)
  • MitMMitM Member Posts: 622 ■■■■□□□□□□
    theodoxa wrote: »
    A few questions.

1. My CCNP: R&S expiration date is January 31, 2018. Do I need to pass before the 31st or can I pass on the 31st?

I believe you can pass on the 31st, but honestly, I wouldn't cut it so close. Say you take the exam on the 31st and for whatever reason there is a problem at the testing center and can't proceed. You'll lose your certification

I say aim to take it at least 7 days before to give you two shots at it.
  • HappyBearITHappyBearIT Member Posts: 55 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I like them as a structured lab approach to go along with my adhoc learning in my homelab and/or GNS3. I successfully used them for SWITCH as an accessory to INE and GNS3. I'm on my last few labs for ROUTE now, and plan to sit the exam once I finish them and a few more INE videos.

What I like about the TSHOOT labs is that there are 20 TSHOOT labs to figure out and fix. The hardest part about labbing TSHOOT is having to break your own stuff or rely on someone else sharing their GNS3 files with you. CLLs and Boson now provide solutions to this problem with Boson having as close to the real thing as possible without being called a d**p. Once I make it through ROUTE in the next few weeks; I plan to work through the CLLs, review some SWITCH topics, and end my studies with the BOSON TSHOOT ExSIM. Those three tasks combined with previous knowledge should be more than enough to pass TSHOOT.
    CISSP|CCNP R&S|CCNA Security|CCNA Wireless|ITIL Foundations|VMware vSphere 6.5 Foundations|BS-Computer Science|MBA|
    Pursuing: Linux+|VCP-DCV|PCAP|
  • negru_tudornegru_tudor Member Posts: 473 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I like them as a structured lab approach to go along with my adhoc learning in my homelab and/or GNS3. I successfully used them for SWITCH as an accessory to INE and GNS3. I'm on my last few labs for ROUTE now, and plan to sit the exam once I finish them and a few more INE videos.

What I like about the TSHOOT labs is that there are 20 TSHOOT labs to figure out and fix. The hardest part about labbing TSHOOT is having to break your own stuff or rely on someone else sharing their GNS3 files with you. CLLs and Boson now provide solutions to this problem with Boson having as close to the real thing as possible without being called a d**p. Once I make it through ROUTE in the next few weeks; I plan to work through the CLLs, review some SWITCH topics, and end my studies with the BOSON TSHOOT ExSIM. Those three tasks combined with previous knowledge should be more than enough to pass TSHOOT.

Thanks - yeap, breaking your own stuff and tshooting is kind of lame. I also have ExSim for TSHOOT. Was just wondering if it's worth the extra cash for the CLL. Then again, an extra set of labs to toy around with won't hurt so I might just get them if I pass ROUTE.
    2017-2018 goals:
    [X] CIPTV2 300-075
    [ ] SIP School SSCA
    [X] CCNP Switch 300-115 [X] CCNP Route 300-101 [X] CCNP Tshoot 300-135
    [ ] LPIC1-101 [ ] LPIC1-102 (wishful thinking)