Options

Is this good enough...

tibultibul Member Posts: 240
Well after i finish my MCSA and security+, ill be starting on ccna so i have been looking at some labs on ebay and have seen this one

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CISCO-CCNA-Lab-CCNP-CCIE-Router-2501-2503-Switch-1924_W0QQitemZ110057126093QQihZ001QQcategoryZ73321QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

does this lab have everything i need for the ccna also does it have most of things i need if i decide to carry onto ccsp and last but not least is it good value for money.
Studying 70-292.
Aiming for MCSA: Security and 2003 upgrade.

Comments

• Options
    bmaurobmauro Member Posts: 307
    Unfortunately the switch is no longer used in the CCNA. The commands used for the 1900 switches will be similar - but it will not be the same as a 29xx switch - which is what is on the CCNA and the CCNP.

If you can afford it - try finding a package that contains a 2950 - its an investment that you can use through the CCNP.
  • Options
    HumperHumper Member Posts: 647
    As bmauro said the switch is crap, I wouldnt waste my money with the lab. A 2950 for CCNA would be nice...It can be used in your CCNP studies as well. For NP I highly recommend a 3550 with an EI image.
    Now working full time!
  • Options
    the labs with the 2950 are much more expensive, would it be cheaper for me to buy the 2950 and the other parts i need sepparate.
    Studying 70-292.
  • Options
    HumperHumper Member Posts: 647
    tibul wrote:
    the labs with the 2950 are much more expensive, would it be cheaper for me to buy the 2950 and the other parts i need sepparate.

Most likely.
    Now working full time!
  • Options
    hmm apart from the switch is everything else in the kit worth having, as i wonder if its a good idea to buy the kit, and then buy a 2950 switch?
    Studying 70-292.
  • Options
    loboernestoloboernesto Member Posts: 94 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I bought the same lab a few months ago... I had hardly covered the topics for the INTRO when I bought it so in my case it was a good way to start (I wouldn't have known what to buy if I did it separately)although I bought a 2924 after that but I've hardly ever used it anyway so far but it will be useful later i suppose (it came with a ATM 155 mm fiber module icon_rolleyes.gif will I ever get to use that in my home lab?? I doubt it....).

The routers will do all you need, I bought a 2520 so I could do some frame-relay.

The other thing you have to consider is that if you start looking around to buy separately you may end up paying a lot of delivery (unless you get all the stuff from the same guy).

cheers
  • Options
    NetwurkNetwurk Member Posts: 1,155 ■■■■■□□□□□
  • Options
    steve-o87steve-o87 Member Posts: 274
    This guy's a dealer and his prices are crazy. The routers are still good for the NA but the switch is crap as everyone has said.

Go for a 2950 + a couple o' routers. icon_thumright.gif
    I am the lizard King. I can do anything.
  • Options
    ok thanks for the info all.

One last question if i buy a 2950 + some routers, what other parts will i need like cables etc.

bare in mind im very new to the cisco stuff.

Thanks for all the help all.
    Studying 70-292.
  • Options
    You will need:

console cable
    crossover cable to connect directly to a PC, or a standard (straight-through) patch cable to connect to a switch
    transceiver (to convert the AUI port to ethernet RJ45)

It's not hard to find a 2501 for bid that includes some or all of the above
  • Options
    Also - to connect the routers back to back, you will need two serial cables. One will have to be a DTE cable and the other a DCE cable. Some dealers have serial cables that have one end DTE and the other end DCE. Those are nice because it's bascially two cables in one.
  • Options
    thanks again all, ill let you know how the lab goes on once i start.
    Studying 70-292.
  • Options
    just came across this LAB set up on ebay, it costs more but comes with more routers and a newer switch.

Would this be a good lab for the CCNA.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CISCO-CCNA-Lab-CCNP-CCIE-2924-2610-2501-2503-ISDN_W0QQitemZ110065986062QQihZ001QQcategoryZ73321QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
    Studying 70-292.
  • Options
    itdaddyitdaddy Member Posts: 2,089 ■■■■□□□□□□
    get an access router 2511 or 2509 and octal cable
    freaking awesome and somewhat easy to setup once you
    understand the reverse telnet process and cabling.

no more moving cables back and forth back and forth
    icon_eek.gif
  • Options
    pr3d4t0rpr3d4t0r Member Posts: 173
    Is there any good sim for CCNP (BCMSN) ?
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    pr3d4t0r wrote:

Boson makes a CCNP simulator. My cohorts at work tell me it's pretty decent, but I haven't gotten a chance to see it in action, for myself. I'm not sure on the specifics, but it's listed on their site as a simulator and virutal lab setup for the entirety of the CCNP, so I'd imagine that it would do what you need for BCMSN.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
    I've got the Bosun ccnp sim (still studying ccna but the ccnp includes all the bosun ccna sims in it aswell)

It's very good but it's what you do with it. The sims labs are very much step by step. do this, now do this, now do this. BUT if you just invent real world networks in your head and then try to build them in the sim you can learn lots

It would be nice (and purist) to buy the real gear but if your like me and broke most of the time supporting a wife and 3 kids al at primary school, it will do for now until I can get the cash for the real thing and trust putting my cash into ebay.

There is a growning market of router/switch sellers on ebay and they are all competing with each other for selling ccna/ccnp labs and equipment.

Do an ebay search on the router / switch your after (ie 2950 switch) and look. You don't have to bid/buy and if your like me and petrified of even letting my credit card in the same room as my computer, it can just be an education and maybe an eventual purchase.
    Kam.
  • Options
    I prefer to use the real thing to be honest same with the MS stuff always prefer to build my own lab if i dont have access at work to them or even if i do i prefer to have one at home (nothing beats the real thing :D ) . always better to have the actual hands on with things than to use sims in my opinion, i buy all the time online have done for years so i dont worry about my credit card. icon_lol.gif
    Studying 70-292.
  • Options
    tibul wrote:
    just came across this LAB set up on ebay, it costs more but comes with more routers and a newer switch.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CISCO-CCNA-Lab-CCNP-CCIE-2924-2610-2501-2503-ISDN_W0QQitemZ110065986062QQihZ001QQcategoryZ73321QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Est. value by piece:
    2610 $80
    2503 $25
    2521 $20 (it's token ring which is not tested anymore)
    2924 $90

(and notice that he says the ISDN gear is "optional")

The price quoted is in pounds so the guy wants over $500!

Shop around and buy piece by piece. These dealers are a rip-off.
  • Options
    PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Netwurk wrote:
    tibul wrote:

Est. value by piece:
    2610 $80
    2503 $25
    2924 $90

That sounds like some sound advice to me. I guess in some cases it might be worth paying the shipping charges and getting it internationally and just get yourself a power adapter I guess...
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.
  • Options
    pr3d4t0rpr3d4t0r Member Posts: 173
    Slowhand wrote:
    pr3d4t0r wrote:

Boson makes a CCNP simulator. My cohorts at work tell me it's pretty decent, but I haven't gotten a chance to see it in action, for myself. I'm not sure on the specifics, but it's listed on their site as a simulator and virutal lab setup for the entirety of the CCNP, so I'd imagine that it would do what you need for BCMSN.

Unfortunately for BCMSN the sim very weak...
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    pr3d4t0r wrote:
    Unfortunately for BCMSN the sim very weak...

Well, damn. There goes my good advice, right out the window. icon_sad.gif I'll do some checking and see if there's any other sims out there that can do the job of helping you get prepared for BCMSN.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    Netwurk wrote:
    tibul wrote:

Est. value by piece:
    2610 $80
    2503 $25
    2924 $90

ah i see, thanks for the advice ill shop around and buy them piece by piece.
    Studying 70-292.
  • Options
    Boson SIM is ...well... its OK. It's great to get your feet wet, but beyond that I can't stand it. The debug commands don't function that well at all, and it you deviate from the pre-built labs your results can vary greatly.

I don't know why I don't hear more about Dynamips.....

It bascially looks like a SIM, but it take REAL IOS code and emulates the hardware. As long as you have enough RAM, and access to IOS code, you can build any lab you could want!

Best part - completely free.

Do a search for Dynamips, most of the hits will be in the CCNP forum.

Unbelievable tool.