SSCP Revisions in 2018

secbrosecbro Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi everyone,

I just obtained my Sec + and am looking into studying for the SSCP next. My goal is to eventually obtain my CISSP. I noticed on the ISC exam outline for SSCP it's being revised in August 2018.

https://www.isc2.org/-/media/0845C2B21DF74681BDEA7B423AC2A3DB.ashx

I've had a few life events come up that are preventing me from just powering through and taking the test before August 2018. The study material available is all for the 2015 version of the test.

Should I proceed with studying from the SSCP 2015 material? or focus on another cert like CSA+? Sorry for any grammar issues English is not my first lang.

Thank you in advance for your advice.

Comments

• SteveLavoieSteveLavoie Member Posts: 1,133 ■■■■■■■■■□
    There is a lot of overlap between SSCP and Sec+, so I dont think you would need a lot of study times (a few week at worse) to be able to write it.

Also, there is so much overlap between those exam, that your only value would come if you want to write CISSP because of the 1 year exp waiver, (I don't know for Sec+) or that you want to get a feel of an ISC(2) exam.
  • tedjamestedjames Member Posts: 1,179 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Just take what you've learned from Security+ and apply it to SSCP. You have lots of time to prepare for SSCP. First thing to do is download the SSCP exam objectives and create a study plan around that. As Steve said, a lot of Security+ applies to SSCP. Compare what you already know from Security+ with what SSCP requires and then just fill in the gaps. The important thing is to follow those exam objectives. Some or all of them will be on your test, so it's best to know something about each one. That's what I did, and I passed the first time. You should be able to knock this out within a couple of months, well in advance of August.
  • Goteki54Goteki54 Member Posts: 79 ■■■□□□□□□□
    secbro wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

I just obtained my Sec + and am looking into studying for the SSCP next. My goal is to eventually obtain my CISSP. I noticed on the ISC exam outline for SSCP it's being revised in August 2018.

https://www.isc2.org/-/media/0845C2B21DF74681BDEA7B423AC2A3DB.ashx

I've had a few life events come up that are preventing me from just powering through and taking the test before August 2018. The study material available is all for the 2015 version of the test.

Should I proceed with studying from the SSCP 2015 material? or focus on another cert like CSA+? Sorry for any grammar issues English is not my first lang.

Thank you in advance for your advice.

I'm also studying for the SSCP. Since I'm planning on taking the exam in April, Even if I don't pass, I'll take another crack at it before the August expiration, so really I have enough time. You have more then enough time, besides you are already in the process of studying for exam, it doesn't make sense to stop in midstream and jump to CSA+ and start from scratch.
    CompTIA A+, Network+, Security +., SSCP
  • mritorto2mritorto2 Member Posts: 61 ■■■□□□□□□□
    just go for it
  • secbrosecbro Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thank you for all your responses. I've bought my SSCP book will head down that path.
  • stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Your Security+ qualifies as far as reducing the number of years needed down to four years of cumulative professional experience.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • ccvp45ccvp45 Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Secbro - I will also be taking this exam in March 2018. I plan to sit for it before it's revised. If you study and put the effort and time on it, you will pass. Just another exam. Happy studying!
  • TheWeathermanTheWeatherman Member Posts: 24 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Not to jack your thread but thanks for the revision update! I am on the same boat as you as I need to take this exam before or by August 20th.