IAPP CIPP/US Review

Comments

• sblahhsblahh Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hello, can you please share the outline with me as well? I'm unable to PM you.
  • NYKNOTNYKNOT Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    If someone integrated the updates for the CIPP/US exam into an outline, I would be grateful for a copy.
    Thanks
  • sunk318sunk318 Registered Users Posts: 4 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I just took the CIPP/US last Friday and passed. It was definitely harder than alot of the tests I've taken (on par with the bar exam or even harder!)

I would like to share the outline that schiphol if he doesn't mind sharing. But I would need to hear from him first.

Truth to be told, the outline won't do you any good unless you actually understand the statutes and concepts. It acts more like a refresher.

I relied heavily on the IAPP textbook (read it three times), and did a lot of practice exams on CIPP Guide website (need to pay for subscription). Honestly, the practice exams didn't help much as it forces you to memorize details that author wants you to know -- a lot of which wasn't on the actual exam.

I did not have clear answers for half of the exam but I used elimination method to get to the best answer. I think I was able to pass only because I read the dry textbook three times and tried to understand the concepts and the laws.
  • b0Risb0Ris Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    sunk318 wrote: »

I relied heavily on the IAPP textbook (read it three times), and did a lot of practice exams on CIPP Guide website (need to pay for subscription). Honestly, the practice exams didn't help much as it forces you to memorize details that author wants you to know -- a lot of which wasn't on the actual exam.

Was the CIPP Guide site worth it? What is the format of the material on the site?
  • schipholschiphol Member Posts: 20 ■■■□□□□□□□
    sunk318 wrote: »
    I just took the CIPP/US last Friday and passed. It was definitely harder than alot of the tests I've taken (on par with the bar exam or even harder!)

I would like to share the outline that schiphol if he doesn't mind sharing. But I would need to hear from him first.

Truth to be told, the outline won't do you any good unless you actually understand the statutes and concepts. It acts more like a refresher.

I did not have clear answers for half of the exam but I used elimination method to get to the best answer. I think I was able to pass only because I read the dry textbook three times and tried to understand the concepts and the laws.

Congratulations! Feel free to share. I already put myself out of a job by giving away the product icon_lol.gif
  • suntosunto Member Posts: 29 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Does anyone know if the only difference between CIPP/US and CIPP/E (or others) is the one area?
  • futureellefutureelle Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    schiphol wrote: »
    No problem. Can you send me a PM? Either I'm having issues with the site or I don't have sufficient privileges to view your profile and PM you.

I'm debating which exam to take CIPP/US or CIPP/E anyone taken both?
  • schipholschiphol Member Posts: 20 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I've only taken CIPP/US. I don't have a need for the any of the others at this time. A coworker took the CIPT and passed it just fine, but thta was geared toward tech folks.
  • riverstyxriverstyx Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    sunto wrote: »
    Does anyone know if the only difference between CIPP/US and CIPP/E (or others) is the one area?

I'm not sure which is the area to which you're referring. The CIPP/US covers US privacy law, and the CIPP/E covers European data protection law. (I wouldn't expect that knowing that the GDPR is regulation 2016/679/EU won't help you on the CIPP/US exam, for example.)

You can find the CIPP/US body of knowledge at https://iapp.org/media/pdf/certification/CIPP_US_BoK_after%208.1.17.pdf.

The CIPP/E body of knowledge is available at https://iapp.org/media/pdf/certification/CIPP_E_BoK_1.2.0.pdf.
    I expect I'll eventually take both. I took the CIPP/E first because it was on sale--only $100 (if you took it in French or German). If I ended up passing, I'll look to take the CIPP/US in January 2018. If I didn't, I'll need to go again on it (in English, this time) and then take the CIPP/US later.

With the extra-territorial aspects of the GDPR (which goes live on May 25 of 201icon_cool.gif, I think the CIPP/E will be pretty hot for at least a year or two as companies, especially in the US, look to get compliant.
  • McxRisleyMcxRisley Member Posts: 494 ■■■■■□□□□□
    So debate topic here, is privacy not a part of infosec? It could easily be said that confidentiality IS privacy. I know where I work there is no need for a specific privacy person because all of the laws and regulations that apply are built in to compliance here.
    I'm not allowed to say what my previous occupation was, but let's just say it rhymes with architect.
  • lizette1121622lizette1121622 Member Posts: 16 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hello, I will be taking the CIPP/US exam in January. I would appreciate the outline as well. I just sent an email.
    Hello na56,

I am trying to break into the privacy sector. I am a lawyer and took information privacy and data protection courses while in law school. I will be sitting for the cipp/us exam in January. I have been looking for jobs online but most roles want people with 5 years' experience. I would like to know how you were able to get your first privacy role.
    McxRisley wrote: »
    So debate topic here, is privacy not a part of infosec? It could easily be said that confidentiality IS privacy. I know where I work there is no need for a specific privacy person because all of the laws and regulations that apply are built in to compliance here.

I would agree that Privacy is a component of Information Security. At a small company, I would assume that the InfoSec team/professionals would manage privacy by either managing 1) Policies 2) awareness training 3) creating and conducting impact assessments.

At large companies, usually there is a privacy office that manages this stuff which may be lead by the legal team. It is still something that InfoSec has to consider during their work.
    Hello na56,

I am trying to break into the privacy sector. I am a lawyer and took information privacy and data protection courses while in law school. I will be sitting for the cipp/us exam in January. I have been looking for jobs online but most roles want people with 5 years' experience. I would like to know how you were able to get your first privacy role.

Job descriptions are usually a wish list by the company. If you are otherwise a good fit I would still apply. Unfortunately, if you have no experience, it may hard to get a job that is seeking someone with that level of experience.
  • helicaseshelicases Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi there

Thanks all for your helpful contributions in this thread. I'd be super grateful for a copy of the outline that's going around if possible - I'm studying as we speak!

Thanks again
  • tkreagantkreagan Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Sorry to be a pest, but would appreciate the outline as well because IAPP has taken the notes on the August 2017 exam update.
    I just sent you a note at the TechExamThrowaway2017 e-mail address, as well, as it seems I'm still (after multiple requests to the administrators...) unable to send private messages here. Thank you!
  • no1ustadno1ustad Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Would also totally appreciate the outline (or any other info people have compiled for this test - outlines, charts, etc). It would be a huge help!

Right now I've come to terms with the idea that I'd buy the hopelessly outdated official text and hope for the best. icon_sad.gif

Also, if anyone would like to form a study e-mail thread, please let me know.

My e-mail is no1ustad1 at gmail.
  • TribeFan44141TribeFan44141 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Anyone tried recently to join cippguide.org? They took my money, but provided no access to premium materials.
  • TribeFan44141TribeFan44141 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Received access today to CIPPGUIDE.org. Looks like a ton of materials, plus practice tests.
  • greennc939greennc939 Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Received access today to CIPPGUIDE.org. Looks like a ton of materials, plus practice tests.

Any way to tell how current the material is? Or if there's any indication of updated material to account for the last update to the CIPP US exam?

I was hesitant to sign up because the site seemed so hard to use. Any opinion on once you sign up?
  • GGBGGB Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I just signed up to take the CIPP/US test in about 3 weeks. I also signed up for CIPPGUIDE.org. I'll let the Board know how my experience goes with that site (which admittedly is a bit unkempt looking).

Greg
    greennc939 wrote: »
    Any way to tell how current the material is? Or if there's any indication of updated material to account for the last update to the CIPP US exam?

Looks like if you're signed up for silver or gold membership, you can go to the page at the top called "Premium Services" and click on any of the blue hyperlinked material, which as of this moment are all working.

Greg
    b0Ris wrote: »
    I was hesitant to sign up because the site seemed so hard to use. Any opinion on once you sign up?

Sorry, my previous post was intended for the above.
  • greennc939greennc939 Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    GGB wrote: »
    I just signed up to take the CIPP/US test in about 3 weeks. I also signed up for CIPPGUIDE.org. I'll let the Board know how my experience goes with that site (which admittedly is a bit unkempt looking).

Greg

That would be great. Best of luck on the exam!
    I passed the CIPP/US Exam:

Domain 1: 88%
    Domain 3: 100%
    Domain 4: 91%
    Domain 2: 88%
    Domain 5: 77%

I will be reviewing a 70 page outline that I created and then will share that with anyone this weekend who will be sitting for the exam.

I am now gearing up for the CIPP/EU exam :)
    Congratulations! Well done!

I took the French beta CIPP/E exam in December and was successful. I've not gotten fully under way in my preparations for the CIPP/US, but it's looking so far as if the CIPP/E is much simpler. I strongly recommend Phil Lee's YouTube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxgZ57BTkFQ. Good luck!

(When are you planning to take the CIPP/E?)
    riverstyx wrote: »
    Congratulations! Well done!

I took the French beta CIPP/E exam in December and was successful. I've not gotten fully under way in my preparations for the CIPP/US, but it's looking so far as if the CIPP/E is much simpler. I strongly recommend Phil Lee's YouTube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxgZ57BTkFQ. Good luck!

(When are you planning to take the CIPP/E?)

Thanks, I am planning to take it in a month. I think that time is sufficient for me to grasp the most important GDPR Articles. I think for the US version, you need to know the law and concepts and apply them. To prepare, I used the outline that has circulated on the board and then created another because I did not want to read the book again, and condensed everything to 70 pages.

You mentioned that you used the IAPP CIPP/E online training. Was that useful? I am debating whether to sign up for the program.
  • cbanks910cbanks910 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hello-

I'm not able to PM at the moment due to becoming a new member, would you mind sharing your outline with me? I'm scheduled to take the exam in a few weeks. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.