windows administrator to linux devops

denis92denis92 Member Posts: 67 ■■■□□□□□□□
Is it realistic to transition from windows administrator to Linux "devops"? There aren't many jobs for Linux, so I was thinking of getting a windows admin job and the rhce and transition to Linux "devops".... Of course I would study python, ansible etc. as well. Anybody done this?

Comments

• UrbanBobUrbanBob Member Posts: 34 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'd like to hear about this too. How do you add experience to your resume, for a job you have not done, to prove you can do it?
  • LeBrokeLeBroke Member Posts: 490 ■■■■□□□□□□
    At this point, why not do Windows DevOps? There's plenty SaaS and development shops running the .NET stack that need their own DevOps.
  • europopeuropop Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Well this kind of change is almost like changing industry entirely. I suspect you'd have to go in at a junior level. Saying that, Devops pays amazing, so even a junior job would not be too bad. Better than desktop support equivalent surely.
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Learn to automate your repeatable Windows admin/deployment work with Powershell. Learn a configuration management tool that you can use with your existing environment. Learn how to use source control with both of the above to manage versioning and changes to your environment. Then transition to Linux if that is still something you want to do. Trying to learn both "Linux" and "Devops" at the same time is probably too big of a jump.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Sounds GoodSounds Good Member Posts: 403
    denis92 wrote: »
    Is it realistic to transition from windows administrator to Linux "devops"? There aren't many jobs for Linux, so I was thinking of getting a windows admin job and the rhce and transition to Linux "devops".... Of course I would study python, ansible etc. as well. Anybody done this?

What is it that you currently do?

As far as pure linux jobs go, those are going to be more and more rare unless you focus on a specific niche within that space (such as HPC). Everyone is looking for DevOps/SREs with strong Linux foundations + CM + CI/CD + Cloud + Orchestration(Kubernetes is the new hotness). It will be increasingly more difficult to find talent in the coming years as the "DevOps" space covers so many areas and the person needs to be equally strong in nearly all of them. Those currently working in or have been working in the "DevOps" space are in a good position to demand high salaries so definitely pursue it if you have the drive. However be aware that it takes an immense amount of commitment to become well-versed in "DevOps".
    On the plate: AWS Solutions Architect - Professional
    Scheduled for: Unscheduled
    Studying with: Linux Academy, aws docs