Options

Questions with regards on how to design this small network

boxerboy1168boxerboy1168 Member Posts: 395 ■■■□□□□□□□

Ok, so this is the network I want to design except add in a DHCP server.

Should I configure the VLANS to have traffic route between VLANS on the router or the L3 switches?

Another option would be to not configure anythong on the distribution layer switches and configure subinterfaces on the router itself.

Any ideas?
Currently enrolling into WGU's IT - Security Program. Working on LPIC (1,2,3) and CCNA (and S) as long term goals and preparing for the Security+ and A+ as short term goals.

Comments

• Options
    clarsonclarson Member Posts: 903 ■■■■□□□□□□
    the best source of information would be be the book for studying for the ccda exam.

id do it this way.

being the price difference isnt that much between a layer 2 switch and a layer 3 switch, make the access layer with layer 3 switches. And do vlan switching there.

being everything is an edge device no needing to wait for spanning tree convergence

and being every thing above the access layer is layer 3 there is no need for spanning tree above there. add a few connections on the layer 3 switches for redunancy. Then let the routing protocols handle the routing of the packets.

all that makes the router unnecessary.

maybe a firewall for connecting to the outside world
  • Options
    boxerboy1168boxerboy1168 Member Posts: 395 ■■■□□□□□□□
    the reason I have the router is because I'm going to add more when I get this working properly.

ok, so I'll just start over and use layer 3 switches and only use 2 switches instead of 4 with a link between them
    Currently enrolling into WGU's IT - Security Program. Working on LPIC (1,2,3) and CCNA (and S) as long term goals and preparing for the Security+ and A+ as short term goals.
  • Options
    clarsonclarson Member Posts: 903 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'd still use the 4 switches. the 2 access switches are a single point of failure. So you need add in some redunancy where you can. You can use layer 3 switches or routers. but, at the disturbution layer, you need to add such things as sla, etherchannel, first hop redunancy protocol, etc.