Passed CSA+

veroniicaveroniica Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello,

I've recently passed CSA+. As study material I've used the following:

CompTIA Cybersecurity Analyst (CSA+) Study Guide (Sybex) + https://testbanks.wiley.com/
- even if it has several errors (most of them have already been addressed, the list of errata can be found here: Wiley: CompTIA CSA+ Study Guide: Exam CS0-001 - Mike Chapple, David Seidl), I think it's the best resource so far
- I found the labs useless and skipped them
- I liked it better than the Pearson IT Certification's book as it's more reader-friendly - gives more real life examples and URLs for more details on certain topics (resources that are actually useful)
- on the testbanks website are the questions from the quizes and also several bonus questions (that are not in the book)

CompTIA Cybersecurity Analyst (CSA+) Cert Guide (Pearson IT Certification)
- follows closely the certification exam objectives, it literally takes every subject mentioned there and talks about it. I found this approach to be rigid and boring.
- there are some topics here that aren't mentioned in the Sybex book (certain types of attacks)

The free quizes and samples from GTS learning
- I only took the practice exam, it wasn't really helpful (not much different from the CertMaster questions or the quizes from the books) and had some typos too (something IP address-related)

The questions from CertMaster
- I bought the Deluxe edition for the retake and got access to CertMaster as well
- ok for reinforcing what you've learned
- no log analysis / hands-on questions

The questions from Transcender
- ok for reinforcing what you've learned
- several log analysis questions

I've used the certification exam objectives and made sure I understand each specified topic and know what each mentioned tool does / is used for.

Most of the questions were scenario-based - you were given some logs / output from some tool and had to interpret it, but there were several really straight-forward questions as well.

I studied for almost 2 months, ~5 hours a day. I have 1.5 years of experience as a security analyst and have also passed Security+, SSCP and CEH.

It was fun taking the exam :)

Comments

• MashoTGMashoTG Member Posts: 31 ■■□□□□□□□□
    So cert master and the sybex book was enough you think? I read about half of the sybex books and like you said, a good portion of the labs seem rather pointless. I'm hoping the exam isn't TOO simulation heavy.
  • p@r0tuXusp@r0tuXus Member Posts: 532 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congratulations!
    Completed: ITIL-F, A+, S+, CCENT, CCNA R|S
    In Progress: Linux+/LPIC-1, Python, Bash
    Upcoming: eJPT, C|EH, CSA+, CCNA-Sec, PA-ACE
  • 3online3online Member Posts: 19 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats! I am also studying for it. I have broken down all of the objectives, and have plenty of notes. PM me if you are interested.
  • ThePawofRizzoThePawofRizzo Member Posts: 389 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats.

I took the CSA+ beta and passed, and used CEH books as a study guide to prep at the time as there was, obviously, no CSA+ specific material. While certainly not exact, I thought a lot of the CEH material lined up well with CSA+, and having already taken Security+ supplemented as well.

Now that there is CSA+ specific material I would recommend anyone interested in CSA+ go that route, but if someone has access to some CEH training to supplement without breaking the bank, it is something to consider.
  • ErtazErtaz Member Posts: 934 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Congrats! Well done. I enjoyed that one myself. What's next for you?
  • veroniicaveroniica Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks! :)

MashoTG, I don't think that only reading the Sybex book and doing the CertMaster questions is enough without previous experience or any other related knowledge, like basic scripting / programming, CEH. There aren't many simulations, but most of the questions give you some kind of output and ask you to analyze it - so when CompTIA says it's hands-on, it really means it.

ThePawofRizzo, I found the CEH materials to be really useful as well.

Ertaz, I'm not sure yet, I'm oscillating between Linux+ and GCIH.
  • mrvl13mrvl13 Member Posts: 46 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass, I am currently studying for the exam, what were some of the outputs and from what tools... NMAP,NESSUS,......?
  • deathbatcountrydeathbatcountry Member Posts: 16 ■■■□□□□□□□
    3online wrote: »
    Congrats! I am also studying for it. I have broken down all of the objectives, and have plenty of notes. PM me if you are interested.

I'm currently studying for it as well. I've read Troy McMillian's book, and just ordered the Sybex book. I passed Sec+ on July 3rd, and wanted to move right into this..

You specifically mentioned that you have notes? If you were willing to share your notes I would be eternally grateful.
  • romeospadreromeospadre Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Notes?, yes please fella!
  • brasqobrasqo Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats on passing, and thank you for sharing the study materials you used.
  • SteveLavoieSteveLavoie Member Posts: 1,133 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congrats! Thanks for the info, I was wondering if I should pursue the CSA+.
  • ThePawofRizzoThePawofRizzo Member Posts: 389 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats! Thanks for the info, I was wondering if I should pursue the CSA+.

I say to anyone considering this exam, that they should go for it. It is a good foundational certification, and I think it will get some better traction
    than some other certs.
  • meni0nmeni0n Member Posts: 68 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm trying to find good practice tests but can't seem to find anything great. I tried Udemy but that wasn't very good. I am now using the Pearson IT practice exams after buying the deluxe ebook from them on discount. The questions here are better worded and seems like they make you think. Anyone have any recommendations for good practice tests and log review.
  • yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    meni0n wrote: »
    I'm trying to find good practice tests but can't seem to find anything great. I tried Udemy but that wasn't very good. I am now using the Pearson IT practice exams after buying the deluxe ebook from them on discount. The questions here are better worded and seems like they make you think. Anyone have any recommendations for good practice tests and log review.

Not sure on the practice exams. I'm going to use the two that come in the Mike Chapple Sybex book and the one from the Jason Dion Udemy. There appear to be three Udemy courses now (and a 'fourth' on Safaribooks).

For logging, here's a great 8-page article with example logs for Cisco Firewall and routers:
    https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/about/security-center/identify-incidents-via-syslog.html

The common theme among practice exams seems to be that they're weak on log reading questions, while the real exam is rather heavy on log reading questions. That reference is courtesy of Jason Dion from his Udemy course (which I dropped $12 on).
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP
  • meni0nmeni0n Member Posts: 68 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks, I just got Dion's tests but it seems like every time I find a new source of questions i feel like I've been studying the wrong material because some of those questions make you go "what the hell are you talking about"
  • tmurphy3100tmurphy3100 Member Posts: 154 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats! Just picked up the study guide from Amazon--only $25! There are 2 left at this price.
    2020 Goals: CCNA R&S, Cysa+, AZ103, Linux+, Pentest+