Buying or DIY a 12U rack

whitergwhiterg Member Posts: 20 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hello ,

I will buy a hp dl380 g6 or G7 (2U) server and i want to put all my switches/routers and the HP in the same rack.
Also I am torn between buying a 12U rack or a DIY 12U rack .For those who have a home lab , did you buy or build one ?

I already have a "ikea" and a desktop rack but the HP server is to heavy and around 700 mm deep and the desktop rack will be soon dedicated only for my industrial APIs/technologies.

So if someone could give me some model references /brands/ Advises or maybe a quick drawing (if you build it), that would be nice .

Thank you.

Comments

• JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    With the weight of the equipment, I'd rather buy one than try to fabricate one strong enough. Look at Startech racks. They're pretty reasonable pricewise. Amazon has the smaller open 'desktop' rack for $40 or the bigger four post for $200.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • SteveLavoieSteveLavoie Member Posts: 1,133 ■■■■■■■■■□
    There is no way an HP DL380 G6 could be put in a 2 post rack... they are far too long and heavy. I would look for an open four post rack... Look for some used stuff, there are some interesting sometime, if you go this way make sure they are deep enough.
  • whitergwhiterg Member Posts: 20 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I checked startech website and found the following model "4POSTRACK12U" ;
    i also found Rack Magic ,4 Column Rack Frame 12U,600/800mm depth - black , as it come in two dimensions do you recommend me to look for a depth of 600 or 800 mm (for the HP) icon_scratch.gif

@SteveLavoie
    Is it the kind of models you were referring to ?
  • JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • --chris----chris-- Member Posts: 1,518 ■■■■■□□□□□
  • DojiscalperDojiscalper Member Posts: 266 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I have a couple HP 1U servers and they weigh around 40lbs each, buy or build a nice 4 post rack.
  • mbarrettmbarrett Member Posts: 397 ■■■□□□□□□□
    For the money & time, I would rather just buy something. They are pretty cheap, but if you want something really sturdy you are going to be paying more.
    https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ER12
  • whitergwhiterg Member Posts: 20 ■■■□□□□□□□
    After a bad experience with "magic rack " pre-sell , i finally bought a 12U from startech (AMZ).
    i also didn't buy the HP dl380 based on reddit forums (lot of good advice there !!) ;

So for my home lab :
    - i transfer my actual PC desktop (ShuttleSZ170R8,4cores/8 threads , 64G mem) in my new rack (i read somewhere in the techexams forum that a member "mokaz" has built his lab with a shuttle so i will also try).
    - I also bought a small nuc to act as "control tower " of the rack and for everyday use .

Next buy will be a cheap switch with POE and/or a switch that support IOS 15.X , advice on a model (128M/32G mem-flash) ?