Options

Mac Permission Error

byron66byron66 Member Posts: 169 ■■■□□□□□□□

I'm trying to transfer data from a network share to a USB drive and I keep getting this error. "The operation could not be completed because you don't have permission to access some of the items". I have read/write access for all the files I'm trying to transfer and there's no custom permissions set on the USB drive. Has anyone ran into this issue before?
CCNA   A+   N+  Sec+

Comments

• Options
    ViolatedViolated Member Posts: 32 ■■■□□□□□□□
    What file type is the USB drive? I remember having problems on my wife's Mac when it was set to NTFS
  • Options
    The drive is FAT32
    CCNA   A+   N+  Sec+
  • Options
    yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I don't know MacOS all that well but I occasionally get file permission weirdness dealing with USB sticks in Linux. This could probably be fixed by mucking around with chmod on the mount location wherever MacOS mounted it. That folder probably doesn't have the right permissions or is owned by root or something, which wasn't supposed to happen. Probably faster/easier to try and quick format the USB/reboot the OS and things will work themselves out.

Giving Linux advice to an Apple problem, so maybe there's a better answer.
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP
  • Options
    The weird thing is the drive was working fine maybe three weeks ago but now I get that error on this Mac. I can't format the drive because we have other company flies on it. Other people use this drive and it works fine.
    CCNA   A+   N+  Sec+
  • Options
    Nik 99Nik 99 Member Posts: 154 ■■■□□□□□□□
    byron66 wrote: »
    The weird thing is the drive was working fine maybe three weeks ago but now I get that error on this Mac. I can't format the drive because we have other company flies on it. Other people use this drive and it works fine.

fat32 isn't capable of having permissions I think? You could try a terminal copy, that might get around it? I'm not sure if you can use sudo in mac os. Maybe also worth checking if another known working usb stick can do a transfer on that mac at all.

tbh I'm just throwing out ideas here =P
  • Options
    I did try a different drive btw.
    CCNA   A+   N+  Sec+