2003 to 2006

TBLTZTBLTZ Member Posts: 49 ■■□□□□□□□□
I have been studying on and off for A+. I have been studying on and off for a month and now I found out they are changing the test dec 31. so my question is how much different do you think 06 will be from 03? will I have to restudy all over? or should i just try and squeeze in 03?

Thanks

Comments

• PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    You may wish to review the objectives to determine this for yourself.

If you are ready, I'd recommend taking it now. FWIW
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • ivnjivnj Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Ya but those objectives are veery vauges. They don't go into enough detail.

Thanks,
    ivnj
    ivnj wrote:
    Ya but those objectives are veery vauges. They don't go into enough detail.

Thanks,
    ivnj

icon_confused.gif:

It's the A+, it's not exactly the most difficult exam out there. IF computers interest a person at all, and they have some experience, this exam should not be very difficult. If someone choose to take this exam BEFORE they have a job, they may infact find it more challenging.

In any case, they are a guide or outline if you will, how much detail does one really need? You either know what AGP is or you don't.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

I have no job yet. But I have built several PCs and I know what AGP is and the rest of the hardware. And I've into computers since I can remember. But the OS is confusing. Always kinda has been.

They went too much into DOS/98/2000/XP boot files and stuff. So I failed.

But they say on the objectives page that they go into laptops and more current stuff in 2006. But they don't say what parts of the laptop, etc.

Some sample questions would be nice, but I don't think any 2006 practice questions exists yet. Only 2003.

Thanks,
    ivnj
  • wwpranmawwpranma Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 116
    I agree on the OS part. The hardware part of this test is a real no brainer from the get go. I was able to get the hardware down pat in about a month, but when it comes to OS's, I think they put too much influence into repair that should've been made into a seperate exam from the get go. But I'm pretty sure that even if you pass this test, yer still gonna have people like me that won't be able to retain the information 3 months after the test has been taken most likely and will end up just using what knowledge I got from work and what not to replace whatever knowledge comptia was trying to teach me in the first place anyways.
    Artificial Intelligence is nothing compared to the power of Human Stupidity.
    ivnj wrote:

They went too much into DOS/98/2000/XP boot files and stuff. So I failed. ....

Some sample questions would be nice, but I don't think any 2006 practice questions exists yet. Only 2003.

You're best bet will be to get hands-on practice with this OSs if they trouble you. You should be able to find some friends/businesses/etc..with PCs that have the old OS. Possibly they are just throwing the systems away and this will give you a big step up and understanding the OS.

OS is not a big mystery, one just needs to be familar with it. Only way I've even gotten familar with an OS was by using it. I cannot simply read about it and 'know' what it's all about. Once I've used it, I do.

You will find many of the MS Press books give you demo copies of the respective OS and certainly within the 120-day trial you can get your way around.

Anyone who has ever played with Lego's can build a PC. Particularly now with all the PNP stuff. Several years back this wasn't the case. Not having some practice with several OSs is just not making onesself a good job applicant. Some employers don't mind if you learn on their dime...other expect that if you say you can do something, you are expected to do and do it well.

Besides, for A+, what sort of things on the OS do you not understand? Start here by asking yourself this and making a list. Get the practice and research your answers. I'll bet you will surprise yourself at how quickly you do get acclimated to OSs. If you say you cannot do it...you won't.
    ;)
    Plantwiz
    _____

• captndaltoncaptndalton Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    A+ is not as simple to get as people make it out to be. Even experienced computer technicians need to study for this exam. If you don't think you're going to pass, don't waste your money. Read ExamCram 2 A+ and you'll be ready for any A+ question.
    I've built several PCs. No prob. And I have 95, 98, 98SE, ME, AND XP at home.

It's just the way they word it sometimes. Or the multiple chosie. I've used 98 and XP plenty. Biut somethings just... I'll retype some of the pracrtice questions by hand I had trouble with from my book and post them here if I'm allowed. Text, no pictures.

But I just wish they had a seperate OS and seperate Hardware cert.

I'll give you an example.

I was learning A+ at my local community college a couple of years ago. We had to fdisk a Hard Drive and the computer wouldn't detect any fixed disks.

So either I had a bad Motherboard, bad HD, bad Cable, or bad Power Supply.

Or jumpers were set wrong.

So I used another computer and swapped the HDs. And it still didn't detect.

So I probsbly had a bad HD. Cuz 2 motherboards in a row can't be bad.

So I took another HD and tried it out. Same cable and everything in the first computer.

And it detected so I had a bad HD. MB, PSU and everything else was fine.

So I just replaced the HD and screwed everything up.

And then I was ready to install 98. But just to determine the problem no OS experience was necessary.

Replacing a HD or motherboard is all connect the dots. No OS experience is Required.

Thanks,
    ivnj
    First ivnj,
    You cannot post the questions because you may be in violation of the copyrights, so I'm sorry to inform you that you will not be able to do this.

You can discuss similar areas and such, but unless you have the authors permission it cannot appear in the threads.

You have peaked my curiosity! What sort of A+ school would have you FDISK drives and not be able to assist you if you are stumped? Was the diskette formated with FDISK even on it?

Regardless, and I'm not looking to debate this, but from your brief discussion....it doesn't sound like much of a program.

ivnj wrote:
    And then I was ready to install 98. But just to determine the problem no OS experience was necessary.

Replacing a HD or motherboard is all connect the dots. No OS experience is Required.

This is EXACTLY why the A+ exam should be 1 big exam or 2 exams with overlap. 1. Just about any idiot can assemble a PC, this is no longer a higher level skill...it's a starting point. My mother can assemble a PC! While she is not an idiot, she is FAR from technically proficient. 2. In order to determine if one has assembled their components correctly, they NEED an OS of some sort to see if everything is communicating. Without this step, it's merely a bunch of parts that are assembled.

And in order to FDISK, a diskette with some form of MSDOS;DRDOS;etc.. where FDISK.EXE and FORMAT.EXE can reside to prepare the HDD.

This aside, building a few PCs just gets a person familiar with some of the hardware. It takes time, day in and day out, of 'fixing' basic and more advanced problems for most people to 'get' what needs to be part of the troubleshooting process. Working with a mentor/senior technician to bounce questions off of and help guide you when you are stumped....even when you may not know you are stumped...if part of the process.

Point being, I don't think many people can simply read a book and 'get' OS if they don't have some experience. And when I say 'experience' I am thinking more then merely installing the CD and letting it auto-install. Installing OSs is part of the exam, but not the WHOLE exam. You need to know and understand where IRQ can be checked and changed if needed. You need to know how and were to install drivers, etc... These things take time and I've not found a way around this.
    Plantwiz
    _____

I don't know what to tell you. I've installed multi OSes plenty of times. And not just on auto. I've had plenty of IRQ conflicts and such. I've used safe mode hundreds of times.

I guess it just the way the y word it sometimes.

One thing asked something like where do you go to change irqs.
    In 98 or XP I just goto device manager. And then right click on the device I want to change and goto proerties. One of the tabs (resources) I think it was lets me change it. But only in safe mode.

But the way the actual exam was worded that was never an option.

Like for example. 2.5+2.5=5. So does 4+1 or 2+3 or 1+1+1+1+1.

I get 5 every time. How is not important cuz 5 is 5 in the end. But the questions just i don't know.

Also a lot of customer service questions.

Like somebody calls you and says he's angry with your service.

You remain calm, ask him to speak to you in a lower tone, or ask for clarification.

The practice answer was something like remain calm.

But how am I suppoed to know that. Asking him to speak in a lower tone or asking what went wrong (clarification) would also work too.

Staying calm still doesn't find out what went wrong or stop the yelling.

Thanks,
    ivnj
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    It's true, that sometimes these types of exams can be worded in odd ways, but that's how it is. CompTIA's are some of the most straightforward exams you'll find, whereas vendor-specific exams can seriously hurt your head. You have to remember, you're not only looking for the right answer, you're looking for the best answer, out of the choices given. What's the best answer? That's for CompTIA to tell you in the training material. A lot of times, the way they want you to do things isn't how you might do it in the real world, but you have to give them the answer they want, or you don't pass the exam.

As for the oddball questions on the OS exam, that's a toughie. Fact is, if you have real hands-on experience with the inner workings of the various flavors of Windows (9x, NT, 2000, XP) you should be able to figure most of these things out. There are some things you just have to memorize, like common IRQ settings and which .ini files go with which OS, but that comes with the territory. Keep studying, you'll get it eventually. The passing score for this exam is 505 and the core hardware is only 515, which is very doable for anyone with a fair emount of experience or a thorough amount of study.

The good news, though, is that CompTIA has extended out the deadline for the 2003 objectives until June 30th, 2007, so it looks like everyone has more time to finish up their exams.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
    Well I allready passed the hardware. So I just have to concentrate on the OS now. Or give the 2006 objectives a try.

Thanks,
    ivnj
    ivnj wrote:
    Well I allready passed the hardware. So I just have to concentrate on the OS now. Or give the 2006 objectives a try.

Thanks,
    ivnj

Hang in there, you will get it!

As for understanding the wording....Best thing I can recommend it relax and read it without jumping to a conclusion. Books like Meyers and Sybex tend to offer 'tips' on the way CompTIA is thinking. In your studies one thing to keep in mind is that if it is not 'your way' is 'your way' the best way? Maybe yes and maybe no. It's not up for debate, but there are things are some techs do that are NOT the best way yet they do them and somehow stay employed.

You still have time to complete your OS exam, but as I"ve been trying to explain, the more real experience a person gets, the less grey these areas should become.
    Plantwiz
    _____

• matradleymatradley Member Posts: 549
    Plantwiz wrote:
    ivnj wrote:

Thanks,
    ivnj

Hang in there, you will get it!

As for understanding the wording....Best thing I can recommend it relax and read it without jumping to a conclusion. Books like Meyers and Sybex tend to offer 'tips' on the way CompTIA is thinking. In your studies one thing to keep in mind is that if it is not 'your way' is 'your way' the best way? Maybe yes and maybe no. It's not up for debate, but there are things are some techs do that are NOT the best way yet they do them and somehow stay employed.

You still have time to complete your OS exam, but as I"ve been trying to explain, the more real experience a person gets, the less grey these areas should become.

I am not sure if anyone knows, but the exams OS 220-302 and Core Hardware 220-301 are available until June 2007. Have a look at CompTIA's website for further information - http://certification.comptia.org/a/New_A_Calendar.aspx .
    From Security+ book by Sybex:
    "One of the nice things about technology is that it's always changing. One of the bad things about technology is that it's always changing."