Passed CEH and full review

binarysoulbinarysoul Member Posts: 993
I've finally passed the CEH and it's such a relief to have knocked it down. For those who're preparing for it, read on!

I used brain-**** to pass. Ok all right, now that I've cracked that joke, let me tell you how I passed it.

Preparation: I bought the official iClass package and watched the videos, labs and did hundreds of questions from all the CEH books out there (I even did all questions in ExamCram 2006 edition!). Also bought the Boson CEH exam pack. I have mixed feeling about it; on one hand, I found it useful, but some questions were so random and unrelated that I simply ignored them, knowing for a fact EC will NOT go into those topics, and they did not. I also didn't like the fact that Boson exams weren't available through a browser/online (yes you need to install it on a PC). I also did a lot of hands-on, especially on nmap, hping, nessus and many other tools. Also read Matt Walker book (more on this later). Oh yeh, last but not least, I religiously reviewed the exam blue print.

The Exam: I gave myself plenty of time, knowing I have 4 hours, but I finished it in about 2 hours. I read the questions and answers carefully and so took my time. For those who haven't taken it yet, remember this is not a marathon race; don't try to break a record to finish it in X minutes. Your objective should be pass it and use the allocated time to your advantage. Now, if you're a whiz and can do it in 30 min, congratulations! Please share your secret! The way to pass this exam is to know the material/tools/strategies/facts and not simply rely on being able to answer multiple-choice questions. Trust me, if you take your time to 'digest' the material well, you can pass the exam. If you just cram through material from a book and not do a lot of hands-on, you will be disappointed.

Post-Exam Thoughts: I diversified my study sources and this was a good thing, but at very later stage I discovered I should have spent more time on Matt Walker's book. This is because in last week before the exam, I went for a final review and realized that his book is probably a great source to read and understand cover to cover. But his book did help me fully understand gap areas.

I also read a lot of posts here and the advice defintely helped (I've been on this forum for over 10y and there's a reason why I've held on).

Comments

• gespensterngespenstern Member Posts: 1,243 ■■■■■■■■□□
  • gphilipsgphilips Member Posts: 22 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats! What's next?
  • xcopyxcopy Member Posts: 21 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Great Work!
    C|EH, CASP, C|DNA, ITIL, VCP6, MCITP:EA + others
  • binarysoulbinarysoul Member Posts: 993
    gphilips wrote: »
    Congrats! What's next?

Looking for ideas!

I was going to do CISSP, but without experience in security which CISSP requires CISSP is useless.
  • YuckTheFankeesYuckTheFankees Member Posts: 1,281 ■■■■■□□□□□
  • MavadoMavado Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
  • xagreusxagreus Member Posts: 112 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats, binarysoul!

Have you considered the CompTIA Pentest+ beta?

http://www.techexams.net/forums/general-certification/130858-new-certification-comptia-pentest.html
    A+, Net+, Sec+, CySA+, CCNA, ITIL 2011 Foundation, AWS CCP, ISC2 CC, MS SC-900, MS AZ-900
    2024 goals: AZ-900, Cloud+, Palo Alto PCNSA, CyberOps Associate, DevNet Associate, Project+
  • McxRisleyMcxRisley Member Posts: 494 ■■■■■□□□□□
    binarysoul wrote: »
    Now, if you're a whiz and can do it in 30 min, congratulations! Please share your secret! The way to pass this exam is to know the

I finished in 40 minutes, my secret was that I had already been doing PWK for the last 2 months and had been doing a lot of prep for the OSCP/vulnerable machines before that. EC-Council was even nice enough to audit me and ask for my work history and industry certifications that I held. All of which was info that they already had from the application process...
    I'm not allowed to say what my previous occupation was, but let's just say it rhymes with architect.
  • sanketpavarsanketpavar Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Can i get CEH study material
  • kmclinkkmclink Member Posts: 12 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats, and thanks for the write up. I am a week out, and decided to pick up the Mike Walker book after all the glowing reviews here. I think I have used the Boson tests to the extent of their usefulness. Hopefully cramming with the Mike Walker bundle will allow me to put this one to rest. Haven't taken a certification exam in sometime, so between the hype and the money spent, this one has me a bit nervous.

I too am grateful for all the reviews and comments on this forum. Great info!!
  • Tom6677Tom6677 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats!

I'm wondering which version of (CEH Certified Ethical Hacker Boxed Set (All-In-One) by Walker, Matt) do you study ??
    Have you used the **** provided on the ************** website?
  • ErtazErtaz Member Posts: 934 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Tom6677 wrote: »
    Congrats!

I'm wondering which version of (CEH Certified Ethical Hacker Boxed Set (All-In-One) by Walker, Matt) do you study ??
    Have you used the **** provided on the ************** website?

And there it is. The dumper everybody, the dumper....
  • anikaanika Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Very Congratulations icon_smile.gif

One can get the position after CEH certification course:-

Vulnerability Assessment
    Penetration tester
    System Security Engineer
    Other relevant system security position

I also did this course but I took the training from Koenig Solutions training center and now I am working with the reputed company & getting good salary.