I've come to appreciate the Security+ exam

hxhxhxhx Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
I've passed the Security+, GSEC, and SSCP. In that time, I've come to appreciate the Security+. I think it's a great exam to study for. There is a good amount of broad technical information. It gives people a solid foundation on security topics with the requirement to have some technical skill by using performance based questions. The GSEC is better in every way, but it also costs 20 times the money to prepare for.

For those of you studying the Sec+ or thinking about it, carry on. I think you will find it sufficiently challenging and rewarding. Looking back, I sure do appreciate it. Just remember, it's a stepping stone. You don't magically know security by passing it. You must take the next step to advance your skills (whatever that means to you).

Comments

• PC509PC509 Member Posts: 804 ■■■■■■□□□□
    It is an excellent starting point into security. If you don't know the material on Sec+, you're not going to go far. It's a perfect foundation, but like any other career path in IT, you can't just stop there. You have to move forward. Like other entry level (A+, Net+) CompTIA exams, they aren't worth much after a few years experience and more certs. If you're not advancing and moving forward, then you're doing it wrong. It's a great entry level security certification that covers all the basics for entry into security. Yes, the knowledge is what's important. But, it's far from a worthless cert.
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Agree with both. Security+ opened my eyes to the world of Infosec back when I was a sysadmin. It's up to each individual to keep the flame alive.
  • TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    Agree with both. Security+ opened my eyes to the world of Infosec back when I was a sysadmin. It's up to each individual to keep the flame alive.

So does the Security+ count as one of the "and others that should never be mentioned" on your avatar?
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Heck no! I'm proud of my Sec+. The ones not to be mentioned expired recently. Gotta find the certificates and burn them icon_smile.gif
  • McxRisleyMcxRisley Member Posts: 494 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I think a lot of people tend to forget where they came from when they dog on the sec +. I agree with everyone above about the sec+ being excellent for an entry level cert. It gives the person pursuing it a great base level of knowledge that will help them get their start in security. The sec+ was my very first cert and it helped kick start my career in security.
    I'm not allowed to say what my previous occupation was, but let's just say it rhymes with architect.
  • beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
    TechGromit wrote: »
    So does the Security+ count as one of the "and others that should never be mentioned" on your avatar?

Hardly the first thing I'd mention when striking up a conversation on security but not embarrassed either. Think of Security+ as either being your gateway drug into security (in the late 90s this was the golden certification as no one had heard of the ISC(2)). Or your gateway to bigger and better things, starting in the 2000s or so.

As with most things, the Security+ exam became a bit passe' for other more comprehensive exams that may in turn themselves become a bit passe' for something else.

Still the exam gives us the most common base in which to discuss most anything security related. Passe' and all.

- b/eads
  • TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    beads wrote: »
    Hardly the first thing I'd mention when striking up a conversation on security but not embarrassed either.

To clarify, I'm busting on Cyberguypr, not the Security+ certification. It's not listed on his avatar of certs, so my obvious conclusion is it's one of the certs never to be mentioned. :)
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    GIAC certs really do cost 20 times more don't they. Wow.

I agree with the consensus about appreciating the place that Security+ plays/has played. It definitely had a role in shaping me. Though I wonder if the cert will fall out of style and actually become less popular because of the lure of certs like CySA+ and PenTest+ attracting noobs who want to skip the foundational material and jump right into becoming so-called ethical hackers. No prereqs. to take them, after all.

I wish CompTIA would move away from the dumpable multiple-choice format and go heavier into simulations, but in a way that is also not easily dumped.
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP
  • nisti2nisti2 Member Posts: 503 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Definitely 2 weeks after being certified I received a job offer.

So, Security+ is a big help if you are looking for jobs. :D
    2020 Year goals:
    Already passed: Oracle Cloud, AZ-900
    Taking AZ-104 in December.

"Certs... is all about IT certs!"