Entry level jobs after ccna without experience

Project1973Project1973 Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi all, I'm in my 40s and currently changing careers to IT. I currently work in the train operating company in uk. I've done A+, Network , and currently studying for ncnd1 at the moment. What sort of entry level jobs can I apply for after doing my ccna. I don't have any experience and my goal is to work as a network administrator in uk. Thanks.

Comments

• Danielh22185Danielh22185 Member Posts: 1,195 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I would look for NOC jobs. Most NOCs have entry level positions geared toward monitoring or performing minimal administrative tasks. This would get you good exposure to the technology and get you on an avenue of progression.
    Currently Studying: IE Stuff...kinda...for now...
    My ultimate career goal: To climb to the top of the computer network industry food chain.
    "Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else." - Vince Lombardi
  • Project1973Project1973 Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
  • Danielh22185Danielh22185 Member Posts: 1,195 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If that is difficult to find in your area it wouldn't hurt to start somewhere in a help desk to gain some industry level experience for a year or two. That should better help position you to seek out something more specialized in the networking field. This is actually precisely what I did and so far has worked out pretty well for me.
    Currently Studying: IE Stuff...kinda...for now...
    My ultimate career goal: To climb to the top of the computer network industry food chain.
    "Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else." - Vince Lombardi
    Ok thanks what sort of desk tip jobs are u reffering to? Do
  • tuleeohtuleeoh Member Posts: 78 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I did general IT Help Desk (tshooting windows/mac/mobile devices) while in college, and I was able to transition to Network Support after CCNA. I'd say try to get ANY real-world experience to start off
    Yeah, that's my plan. I'll look into help desk jobs. Thanks
  • thomas_thomas_ Member Posts: 1,012 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I would try to avoid a help desk where all you do is reset passwords if you can.
  • mikeybinecmikeybinec Member Posts: 484 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I can't even volunteer anywhere--I have pretty much given up trying to break into the field. I 'm now studying BASH and Python and a little linux admin
    Cisco NetAcad Cuyamaca College
    A.S. LAN Management 2010 Grossmont College
    B.S. I.T. Management 2013 National University
    That's tough, how long have u tried and what certs have u got?
  • mikeybinecmikeybinec Member Posts: 484 ■■■□□□□□□□
    That's tough, how long have u tried and what certs have u got?

CCENT, CCNA. and Ham Radio!! :{D I figured that after I graduated from National University and got my first cert, it would be a shoo in. It never worked out.. Had a couple of interviews and one I thought for sure I was in, but they wanted experience besides networks. I'm like you, a skosh older and looking for a second career. You might get lucky. I gave up a couple months ago. (I spent six years in College and University---what a bad plan and bet)
    Cisco NetAcad Cuyamaca College
    A.S. LAN Management 2010 Grossmont College
    B.S. I.T. Management 2013 National University
    That's serious, I would have suggested u didn't give up, except if that's not what u really want. It's hard though, I agree.
  • TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You lack "FOCUS" . Find it and you will find your path in life, not only in IT.
  • PeroPericPeroPeric Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Get any job in IT after you get your CCNA or before you get your CCNA. Absolutely any... Even if it is resetting passwords. I got my CCNA before I had a job in IT and my first job was very lowest of the low IT jobs. Fixing printers and resetting passwords. My second job was more of printers, more of resetting passwords and other stuff as well... A bit of networking, a bit of Exchange, a bit of VMware, a bit of Office365, a bit of application support etc... and 3 years later I more than doubled my salary and I am lead network engineer.

One of the leading skills in IT is to be personable and to have soft skills. Those skills are gold and if you have those, you're gonna make it. If you don't have those skills, all technical skills in World will not help you unless you get a NOC job where interaction with people is not required.
  • Diogofcp15Diogofcp15 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    PeroPeric wrote: »
    Get any job in IT after you get your CCNA or before you get your CCNA. Absolutely any... Even if it is resetting passwords. I got my CCNA before I had a job in IT and my first job was very lowest of the low IT jobs. Fixing printers and resetting passwords. My second job was more of printers, more of resetting passwords and other stuff as well... A bit of networking, a bit of Exchange, a bit of VMware, a bit of Office365, a bit of application support etc... and 3 years later I more than doubled my salary and I am lead network engineer.

One of the leading skills in IT is to be personable and to have soft skills. Those skills are gold and if you have those, you're gonna make it. If you don't have those skills, all technical skills in World will not help you unless you get a NOC job where interaction with people is not required.

Only with CCNA or you doubled after taking a next level certification like ccnp?
  • pinkiaiiipinkiaiii Member Posts: 216
    i realized my mistake early,but still did my ccna.Now trouble is depending on location which is huge factor there are very little ccna jobs, furthermore in many cases employers look at least few years experience so its catch 21, you did your study learned in class etc,but in enterprise thats only paper that you know how to do configs, and without any other backup in qualifications many who want to break into IT hit a wall.

Now second issue is CCNA is tight field its more or less data/physical layer ,when in reality if getting job in IT its WIN/UNIX printers, active directories, servers,cloud and depending on company bunch of applications that require separate degrees all together.

As other poster said i was lucky to intern after ccna to do helpdesk job and truthfully lvl1-2 support one at best is where they gonna start if they land a job.But that is good since helpdesk depending on role involves more then just ccna,its windows,solving mobile,server,printer issues which brings you to getting exposed to server rooms,patching users in troubleshooting connections and so on.

Now ccna is basically industry standard for any helpdesk job so thats a benefit getting your foot trough the door.

But there should be more awareness for people starting ccna to either have some intern/temp position secured already or be in IT working.Since there are plenty of CCNAs coming out each day in whole parts of world,and market is quite utilized in that part,since even thinking logically most places require only couple CCNAs where real job is passed onto CCNPs which is another obstacle since some do ccna then ccnp and with no experience in field they are at bottom list,since most companies pay from inside to train up nowadays.

IT is beyond large field now thus knowing networking is handy but getting into company where youll be learning a lot of new stuff that you never see on regular user end,think many eventually realize that they need to requalify to the job if they like it,and few hardcore who are only networking grind it up,but nowadays payscale is usually same for most IT skills,and demand is growing in fields of programming,servers,cloud,thus days are long gone where ccna alone is of value.
  • CiscoNet SolutionsCiscoNet Solutions Banned Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    let recruiters know you will take any length contract on last minute notice. in addition know cisco CLI and configuration well. consider doing cloud
    certification and a juniper course.
  • xtremelozehopextremelozehope Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Most firms want you to have at least 2-3 years of experience as a network engineer to even be considered. Luck plays a big role here. If by luck/chance someone decides to give you an opportunity at an entry level then its awesome. However in 99.99 percent real world scenario, no one will hire.

I have CCNA/CCSA/CCSE apart from an IT degree but no one cares.
  • TechnicalJayTechnicalJay Member Posts: 219 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Most firms want you to have at least 2-3 years of experience as a network engineer to even be considered. Luck plays a big role here. If by luck/chance someone decides to give you an opportunity at an entry level then its awesome. However in 99.99 percent real world scenario, no one will hire.

Do you think it could be partly due to your personality/interview skills?
  • alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□

Nobody was born with 2 - 3 years of experience. Luck doesn't explain how we all got into the field.
  • hunterthuntert Banned Posts: 231
    go on the internet and look for internet service providers and go to their websites and see if they have jobs. i started working with no knowledge of networking and was taught a lot also a lot of people i worked with answered a lot of questions for me.
  • crowtycrowty Registered Users Posts: 3 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hi all, I'm in my 40s and currently changing careers to IT. I currently work in the train operating company in uk. I've done A+, Network , and currently studying for ncnd1 at the moment. What sort of entry level jobs can I apply for after doing my ccna. I don't have any experience and my goal is to work as a network administrator in uk. Thanks.

Hi Project1973. What's your progress now? Did you take CCNA or any cisco certifications?
  • KhohezionKhohezion Member Posts: 57 ■■■□□□□□□□
    This might be a bit late but I work in a NOC now but 3 years ago I started off in a call center for my local ISP. I think you just need to get your foot in the door for these kinds of jobs and build your connections and take any chances you can get to move up
  • BrandonT2610BrandonT2610 Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□

fake news,

Depends entirely on your location, resume, personality, interview skills, mixed in with your experience. Also what you're willing to take. Are you willing to be a contractor working graveyard shift to get your "in" Many of those positions aren't that picky. Everyone neglects the data center roles too. There are other great introductory positions besides NOC and helpdesk. I work with equipment hands on daily. I have 0 certs.. still land occasional jr network engineer interviews because of the experience i have gained. If id get the dang ccna done i might be able to land exactly what i want..

As an old boss said " you should be out chasing the money"

with your certs you can land a job in
    Denver
    Seattle
    Austin
    DFW
    ATL
    Charlotte
    D.C.
    just to name a few, many jobs in those areas right now.. i look often