Passed the Security+ Exam today

CalibraCalibra Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi

I passed the security+ exam today.

I watched the CBT nuggets 3 months ago and then kept re-scheduling the exam (About 5 times now) as I wasn't getting the time to read the book.

Then New Years day my son was born, and since then I've been ill with the Flu and then pneumonia.

I forgot to reschedule the exam, so decided to just sit it and get a feel for what it's about.

CBT Nuggets must of done the trick. I did get CEH mid 2017 which helped alot

Comments

• GirlyGirlGirlyGirl Member Posts: 219
  • nisti2nisti2 Member Posts: 503 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congratulations! Welcome to the club! :D Whats next?
    2020 Year goals:
    Already passed: Oracle Cloud, AZ-900
    Taking AZ-104 in December.

"Certs... is all about IT certs!"
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats!!! :)
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • CalibraCalibra Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks. I have just brought a CISSP book, so I'll read though that.
    I know a CISSP who will be retiring in a year or too, so I may as well take it while he's still in service icon_smile.gif
  • alanniz25alanniz25 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congratulations!!!!! By the way, does anyone know where to get the exam voucher discounted for students? If there is such a thing!! Thank you.
  • greg9891greg9891 Member Posts: 1,189 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Congrats, Excellent !!!
    :
    Upcoming Certs: VCA-DCV 7.0, VCP-DCV 7.0, Oracle Database 1Z0-071, PMP, Server +, CCNP

Proverbs 6:6-11Go to the ant, you sluggard! Consider her ways and be wise, Which, having no captain, Overseer or ruler, Provides her supplies in the summer, And gathers her food in the harvest. How long will you slumber, O sluggard?
    When will you rise from your sleep? A little sleep, a little slumber, A little folding of the hands to sleep, So shall your poverty come on you like a prowler And your need like an armed man.
  • Info_Sec_WannabeInfo_Sec_Wannabe Member Posts: 428 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congratulations! icon_cheers.gif So what's next? icon_study.gif
    X year plan: (20XX) OSCP [ ], CCSP [ ]
  • airzeroairzero Member Posts: 126
  • coffeeluvrcoffeeluvr Member Posts: 734 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Congratulations!!
    "Something feels funny, I must be thinking too hard. - Pooh"
  • davec8080davec8080 Member Posts: 53 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Calibra wrote: »
    Hi

I passed the security+ exam today.

I watched the CBT nuggets 3 months ago and then kept re-scheduling the exam (About 5 times now) as I wasn't getting the time to read the book.

Then New Years day my son was born, and since then I've been ill with the Flu and then pneumonia.

I forgot to reschedule the exam, so decided to just sit it and get a feel for what it's about.

CBT Nuggets must of done the trick. I did get CEH mid 2017 which helped alot

Did you notice there was a very obvious content-related error on SYO-401? I sent a message to CompTIA about it. They responded saying I should contact PearsonVUE, which did not make sense at all. PearsonVUE does not write the questions or have editorial authority over the CompTIA exams. I'd post the error here, but it's part of an actual exam.

I can give general detail though. For one of the questions, asking about programming a firewall, mark all that are correct:
    I knew the CORRECT answer was TWO of the FOUR selections. But the test engine would only allow me to choose one. And marking ONE choice made the answer 100% wrong. You couldn't grade it as 50% correct, it needed both parts to be correct at all. I'm not sure if it impacted my score, I passed easily enough.

I was able to go back home and "google it" to confirm that I was right. Multiple sources all stated the correct answer was A AND D, for example. Choosing A alone would be WRONG. Choosing D alone would be WRONG. But the test only allowed one choice.

I found a similar error (even worse, actually) on the Network+ exam. There was one question where I was 100% certain the answer was "none of the above". But that was not one of the choices on the exam. And I was also able to research that one later to confirm...the test did not have a CORRECT response that the test taker (myself) could choose. I was even able to nail down why (specifically) EACH of the four answers provided was definitely WRONG. I was able to eliminate logically all four answers.

But again, I don't know how that impacted my score, as I got almost a perfect score.

I wonder if CompTiA deliberately throws in errors just to shake your confidence or something? I mean, when you find a question you can not answer because YOU KNOW ALL THE CHOICES ARE WRONG, or you find a question you can not answer because THE CORRECT ANSWERS CAN NOT BE SELECTED...

Well, that really wrecks your momentum...

Oh, and congratulations!!!