Considering taking the Cert

ClearlyDetermined26ClearlyDetermined26 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
Just need some advice on what to expect and how best to prepare for the exam. I'm also not quite sure what certification to go for first was going to do the security+ or csa+ I do have a hnd awarded to me in 2015 which we touched on it security at uni so quite similar with a lot of the subjects but obviously still need to revise. Any input would be appreciated.

Comments

• davec8080davec8080 Member Posts: 53 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Just need some advice on what to expect and how best to prepare for the exam. I'm also not quite sure what certification to go for first was going to do the security+ or csa+ I do have a hnd awarded to me in 2015 which we touched on it security at uni so quite similar with a lot of the subjects but obviously still need to revise. Any input would be appreciated.

You will get a lot of opinions on how best to prepare, and most of them will be correct, even if they contradict each other. I've passed (easily) six CompTIA exams on 1st setting using a book written by Mike Meyers as my primary or ONLY source of study material. For SYO-401, they've really ramped up the difficulty level. Lots of practical questions, covering A+, Network+ and Security+ material. My primary study material was a book by Mike Meyers. I also used practice tests (Mike Meyers) on Udemy. I also used Darril Gibson practice tests from the play store (Android). I spent about $60 total, from memory. One book, one video course, one android app.

For some of my review, I supplemented watching Professor Messer videos on Youtube. There were two domains I was weaker on. I found watching Professor Messer videos filled in the gaps on those two domains.

I would suggest you do Security+ instead of CSA+ for a few good reasons
    1) Security+ is a huge keyword you will see listed in a lot of job listings
    2) Aside from CompTIA, Security+ and CSA+ are considered to be the same "rank" of certification, covering much of the same material.
    3) Especially if you can still test SYO-401 before it retires, you will find many good and cheap sources of study material for it.

If you want to dive deeper into security, then knock out Security+ and then go straight for CASP is that is the next level up in rank of certifications. (again, unless you ask CompTIA)

As for what to expect from Security+? I think you will be surprised when you prepare for it, as it is heavily focused on management skills...and I mean GENERALIZED manager skills, not necessarily IT Manager skills. Yeah, there's some technical skills tested like encryption algorithms for example. But if you have significant management experience, you are at least halfway through to passing the Security+

But as for the technical skills...even though the test is more focused on management skills...
    The technical side draws questions from A+, Network+ and Security+. You can pass Security+ without A+ or Network+. But bluntly speaking, you will find it easier to prepare for Security+ (the technical side) if you already have Network+ in particular.