Klcp

yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
KLCP: Kali Linux Certified Professional
https://www.kali.org/news/introducing-kali-linux-certified-professional/
Offensive Security is release a textbook as well, after Black Hat 2017.

Edit: While the book will be free, this course starts at $5000 and seems to be in-person only.
http://www.blackhat.com/us-17/training/kali-linux-revealed-mastering-the-penetration-testing-distribution.html
A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
In progress: OSCP

Comments

• MrAgentMrAgent Member Posts: 1,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The first course is at Black Hat. I imagine they will release it online shortly after.
  • BlackBeretBlackBeret Member Posts: 683 ■■■■■□□□□□
    But really, do you need a course and certification on how to use Kali? I know there are other Linux distro certs out there like SUSE CLA, RHCSA, etc. but should you be deploying Kali enterprise wide or working with so many variations and images of it that you need an entire course on how to keep them straight?
  • Dr. FluxxDr. Fluxx Member Posts: 98 ■■□□□□□□□□
    That is pricey!!
  • MooseboostMooseboost Member Posts: 778 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I would be curious to see what the cost looks like after Black Hat. I can't imagine they would charge too much for for it considering the OSCP pricing.
  • p@r0tuXusp@r0tuXus Member Posts: 532 ■■■■□□□□□□
    This is Exhibition pricing with hands-on, live tutoring. They even state that there is no training for pentesting. That's really high considering the scope, which is still pretty in-depth but narrow. I'm sure they'll lower prices for on-demand once they've made the videos. LoL
    Completed: ITIL-F, A+, S+, CCENT, CCNA R|S
    In Progress: Linux+/LPIC-1, Python, Bash
    Upcoming: eJPT, C|EH, CSA+, CCNA-Sec, PA-ACE
  • chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Wow I was so hyped to register for this class at blackhat since I got the approval from management. After seeing the price, and knowing the book is free online, there is no way to justify that $5000. The course is not even pentesting related, it is only a distro based content. I already got approval for the PWK course as well, so at this point I don't see any value in that course for 5k.
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I don't see a lot of value in this course. As mentioned, they don't even go over the actual tools of kali, just the OS, very odd. The fact that it's a $5K course makes it even more strange.
  • TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Wonder if the book will be available for purchase on Amazon and what the certification exam will cost.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Actually I do think this course and certification would be worthwhile. If you are trying to break into infosec and don't have any linux experience this would be great to start with. Get you into working with linux, be able to customize an install, and how to setup your own packages. I'd definitely read the book and go for the cert once it comes out.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
    I don't think anyone is talking about the value of the certification. We are voicing our distaste about the course price which is $5000. I like the idea of the certification and I may look at getting it next year, but not at the expense of a $5000 course. I will just get the book and work on it on my own. By then I should have LFCS and OSCP completed and I am sure that should help me tons! But yeah $5000 ughhhh not for me....
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    Well it's at a conference and we all know they charge an arm and a leg during conferences because they can (especially since most companies will pick up the bill). If you wait, I'm sure the course will be delivered online and for around $600 bucks.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    chrisone wrote: »
    But yeah $5000 ughhhh not for me....

Every course they spoon fee you they charge an arm and leg for. I can go to community college to get my A+ and pay a bargain price of $2,995, but that includes two vouchers and two practice tests. Or I can pick up a $30 book from Amazon and read it. Oh what to do, decisions, decisions.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • bigdogzbigdogz Member Posts: 881 ■■■■■■■■□□
    $5 K per class ??? sounds like another company I know of.... SANS.
  • olaHaloolaHalo Member Posts: 748 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Older thread I know, but it looks like the book was supposed to release today.
    However they changed it to later this month.
  • Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    TechGromit wrote: »
    Every course they spoon fee you they charge an arm and leg for. I can go to community college to get my A+ and pay a bargain price of $2,995, but that includes two vouchers and two practice tests. Or I can pick up a $30 book from Amazon and read it. Oh what to do, decisions, decisions.
    That's true. But the CC also holds in person classes for 3 months with hands on labs. Even if it's "only" the A+ at least there is a market for it. A new cert on how to use Debian that no one has heard of, for 5K, for a few days of training, that's a ripoff.
  • LonerVampLonerVamp Member Posts: 518 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Be sure to carefully read the material they've put up. For instance:

"The KLCP exam will be available via Pearson VUE exam centres worldwide after the Black Hat USA 2017 event in Las Vegas."

Free materials and an exam to sign up for. That's definitely a different deal than a black hat course fee. :)

Also: "Please Note: This is not a penetration testing course. This course is focused on teaching the student how to get the most out of the Kali Linux Penetration Testing Platform, not how to use the packaged tools in an offensive manner."

This is like talking about managing and using the distro itself, not the tools in it or how to wield it against a target or to be a better pen tester.

Security Engineer/Analyst/Geek, Red & Blue Teams
    OSCP, GCFA, GWAPT, CISSP, OSWP, AWS SA-A, AWS Security, Sec+, Linux+, CCNA Cyber Ops, CCSK
    2021 goals: maybe AWAE or SLAE, bunch o' courses and red team labs?
  • K-9K-9 Member Posts: 82 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Just to update this old thread.... KLCP has free training and the exam costs $450 with Pearson VUE. Lifetime certification (no recert, no expiration). Not a bad resume filler if you also get OSCP, CEH, or something in Pen Testing
    Wow $450 for the cert huh?
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
    K-9 wrote: »
    Just to update this old thread.... KLCP has free training and the exam costs $450 with Pearson VUE. Lifetime certification (no recert, no expiration). Not a bad resume filler if you also get OSCP, CEH, or something in Pen Testing

Wow very good value
  • K-9K-9 Member Posts: 82 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If I wanted to beef up the resume and was starting out in pen testing and/or Linux, I would definitely go for it. I am still considering getting that one just for the name... it sounds pretty impressive even though it is basic Kali installation.
  • shochanshochan Member Posts: 1,004 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Has anyone taken this one yet (TE folks)? Did you pass or fail? Any thoughts or comments?
    CompTIA A+, Network+, i-Net+, MCP 70-210, CNA v5, Server+, Security+, Cloud+, CySA+, ISC² CC, ISC² SSCP